Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Choice of Fantasy Venue

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Open question to all:

We've been on Yahoo since day 1. Do better platforms exist and, if so, should we move to them?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Choice of Fantasy Venue

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm in the Football Keeper league here (yahoo) and a league with my friends (ESPN). They're both pretty similar. I know the people that usually play in the fantasy leagues here like Yahoo. I'm indifferent. I tend to frequent ESPN more for news and such, but I don't know what others do.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Despite it's quirks, I like the Yahoo fantasy sports the best.. (and they've got the best mobile app interface as far I as I can tell)

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Unless there's something compelling about one of the alternatives (the baseball league here is the only one I've tried, other than helping my nephew get set up in an NBA league on ESPN, so I have no opinions) I'm happy to stick with Yahoo.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:58 pm

I've used several, and other than CBS Sportsline (which sucks) they're all relatively similar
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:10 am

If you made me choose, I'd probably vote for ESPN.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri May 31, 2013 10:02 am

I would prefer to stick with Yahoo myself, just personal preference.
But if the majority wants to try something else - that's OK too.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 am

I use Yahoo and ESPN. I prefer Yahoo.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:16 am

Very much prefer ESPN. Better tools, less cluttered stats and presentation, and much, much higher reliability and speed for game-day stats updates, especially for the mobile apps.

Yahoo show scores to the hundredths of a point. Such clutter for no benefit. Hard to read.

Yahoo can't stay up on game day. Should not be this hard, year in and year out.

Didn't think I'd prefer ESPN until I tried it, but man, big difference, in my view.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:24 pm

It's interesting that fantasy football's popularity has waned enough that Yahoo! put up a video explaining what it is and how to play:
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/join-leag ... 11356.html

I like the fractional point scoring rather than integer point scoring. It's a selectable option when you set up the league.

druidcent

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:48 pm

I prefer Yahoo to ESPN's interface.. Unless it's changed since last year, I find that I do better in Yahoo leagues over ESPN (at least for football).

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am

This is kinda interesting:
http://bignoggins.me/post/54357912385/the-decision
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_ ... st-fantasy

Good to see those at Yahoo are working on improving the interface and such. Live drafts from your mobile device? Yes please.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:40 am

Well, as far as I'm concerned the decision has been made for me. Starting July 17 all ESPN article comment threads will require a Facebook login. Since there's no way in hell I'm giving that company even the smallest slice of my personal information, ESPN.com is dead to me now.

Yahoo it is (until they do the same damn thing).

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:35 pm

I skipped last year but want to play this year, and I agree wholeheartedly about the facebook login.

Please play Yahoo!
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm deeply disappointed by the love for Yahoo over ESPN here. Yahoo clearly hasn't invested in infrastructure and software improvements over time, and its interface's only advantage that I can see is familiarity. ESPN is more logical, cleaner, and doesn't fail constantly on game day throughput the season like Yahoo.

But whatever. I'll suffer through with Yahoo if you guys can't stomach making a throwaway FB account for ESPN.

I would like to request either a rules change to the BBQ league or to switch to a different league. I very much like FF, but the version of it played in the BBQ league, with multiple QBs, big rosters, and every possible gadget and wrinkle enabled, doesn't really fit with the number of people in league.

To me, Fantasy Football is about making smart choices within certain constraints, but the BBQ league has become all about managing the one overriding constraint: the lack of good players to put into active game-day slots. The people who perform best in the league are the ones quickest to jump on the waiver wire, literally as the NFL game is happening, and grab the backup when somebody goes down with an injury. Folks may consider that fun, but I don't like having it as the central feature of the game--not when I have four kids and a small business to manage, and probably not even if I had the free time to dedicate to that version of FF.

So, yeah, one way or another, I want to play, but I'd either like to see vanilla rules in the BBQ league or to switch to another league instead. Sorry to vent, but I had a lot of time to think about it last season. :)
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Dposcorp

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Damage wrote:
I would like to request either a rules change to the BBQ league or to switch to a different league. I very much like FF, but the version of it played in the BBQ league, with multiple QBs, big rosters, and every possible gadget and wrinkle enabled, doesn't really fit with the number of people in league.

To me, Fantasy Football is about making smart choices within certain constraints, but the BBQ league has become all about managing the one overriding constraint: the lack of good players to put into active game-day slots. The people who perform best in the league are the ones quickest to jump on the waiver wire, literally as the NFL game is happening, and grab the backup when somebody goes down with an injury. Folks may consider that fun, but I don't like having it as the central feature of the game--not when I have four kids and a small business to manage, and probably not even if I had the free time to dedicate to that version of FF.

So, yeah, one way or another, I want to play, but I'd either like to see vanilla rules in the BBQ league or to switch to another league instead. Sorry to vent, but I had a lot of time to think about it last season. :)

++

I complain about this to my brother, and he just says its sour grapes cause I suck.

I want my normal team.
QB
3 x Wide outs
2 x Backs
1 x TE
1 x K
1 x Def

and not so many extra slots.

You should have to make some hard choices about who to keep, and no one should have 4 x QBs on the team, just so that no one else can have them.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Damage wrote:
I'm deeply disappointed by the love for Yahoo over ESPN here. Yahoo clearly hasn't invested in infrastructure and software improvements over time, and its interface's only advantage that I can see is familiarity. ESPN is more logical, cleaner, and doesn't fail constantly on game day throughput the season like Yahoo.

But whatever. I'll suffer through with Yahoo if you guys can't stomach making a throwaway FB account for ESPN.

Scott:

I'll do whatever the majority wants. At this point, for what I administer, that means the Keeper league as the other leagues end up being whoever joins first. If a majority wants a change of venue, I'll gladly go along. My FB thing is just for comments anyway.

And yes, the over-rostering of the BBQ league gets silly.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:37 am

I'm surprised by the hate. There were only 8 teams I thought when I changed up the rules in the BBQ League.

In the BBQ league - from memory, I think added a QB slot, a flex slot, .5pt PPR, bonuses for 40+ yard plays, QB scores only 5pts, changed up kicker scoring a little, and increased the bench slots. Two QB's gets weird in 10+ team leagues because of QB hoarding. I liked the bigger bench in a smaller league.

I thought this was awesome and was one of the most fun leagues I was in, my brother Kelly thought so too.
In a 2QB league, yes QB's have more of a priority and (should) be drafted higher then normal. I drafted accordingly, maybe you didn't :wink: .

Don't know what to say... I thought I was making it was a entertaining change from all the other virtually identical-ruled ones we play in.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:51 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Don't know what to say... I thought I was making it was a entertaining change from all the other virtually identical-ruled ones we play in.

Hey, not a big deal, but I only have time to play in one or two leagues. I'd like to just play in one. And there were a lot of teams with a ton of roster spots in the BBQ league last year. The game wasn't exactly fantasy football as I've known it, as a result. I think all the gadgets could be fun for a change of pace, esp. for people who play and watch the Red Zone Channel all Sunday. That's just not what I'm looking for. I'd like to play the FF game I've learned over the years, with a real chance to contend if I put in the time during the week to pick up players and set a good roster.

My ideal league would have something close to stock rules with strong waiver restrictions, with order based on current record and # of moves.

Like I said, the BBQ league doesn't have the be the venue for that, but if you want to use something close to regular rules, I'm up for it.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:21 pm

I knew there was a reason I've been reading TR for so long while other boards leave my favorites list - Damage is dead on right so often.

I didn't even think of a throw-away FB account (even though I have one for other purposes)! That would solve my ESPN issue, and I'll join whichever venue TR chooses!

Thanks!
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Liked Ned said, I think the FB account is only required for Comments sections on ESPN. I'm pretty sure you can participate in Fantasy without a FB account.

I like ESPN better, but I 'm totally fine with Yahoo if that's what people want.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 pm

I renewed the BBQ league, sent out invites.
I tweaked the rules and roster positions back to standard (pretty sure) leaving in the 40+ yard bonuses.
Feel free to speak up if there are any suggestions for modifications. :D