Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Braun suspended remainder of 2013

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Whoa. If this is a plea deal (likely since there's no appeal) I'd be interested in seeing what they were really going for.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/ ... he-season/

Check out the quotes from the press conference from Feb 2012 in the link. "I'd bet my life that the substance never entered my body" indeed. What a dumbass.

Michael Weiner last week said that when players have overwhelming evidence against them, they'd be less about fighting it and more about getting them the best deal possible. Apparently this is at least part of what he was alluding to.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Braun suspended remainder of 2013

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:33 am

..........and so it begins. My beloved Tigers may lose Peralta.

Anyone else losing a hometown guy?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 am

Needs his MVP removed.

Seriously if Charlie Hustle can get a lifetime ban for gambling the same should be said about these guys who are caught with PEDs.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Lucky Jack Aubrey

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 am

Nelson Cruz is in the crosshairs. However, this morning Nolan Ryan indicated that there was "nothing new" on that front.

Local stations have been speculating about Cruz's suspension for months, with some of the more recent talk hinting that many of the MLB suspensions might not happen until next year. We'll see.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 am

I thought this was about electric shavers.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:08 am

tanker27 wrote:
Needs his MVP removed.

Seriously if Charlie Hustle can get a lifetime ban for gambling the same should be said about these guys who are caught with PEDs.

If you remove Braun's MVP then you must remove those of the other winners who have been caught, which is quite a number. As well you need to remove the Cy Young awards from pitchers who have been caught. Should also Golden Gloves and Silver Sluggers be removed? How about All-Star nods, do those go? How about all the records too? Do we remove Pennants won by teams who had cheaters? Fairly soon you'll have a disappearing history.

What do we do about those who haven't been caught which we know there are numerous? Do we only punish the cheaters we know about? What is accomplished about punishing just the cheaters we know about? Do fans feel better about baseball?

I see little point in rewriting the history books. The use of illegal substances to improve performance has always been an aspect of professional sports. The methods are far more advanced and likely much more effective now than 20+ years ago. But there were cheaters then too, likely in far greater numbers than most want to admit. Removing the cheaters we have caught does not make the history books "clean."

I fully support harsh penalties for those who are caught, when they are caught. I believe Braun had a positive sample previously but I also think it was mishandled. I think this punishment is fair. I'm more surprised that Braun is not fighting it than anything, but this year was becoming a lost year for him anyway.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am

slowriot wrote:
If you remove Braun's MVP then you must remove those of the other winners who have been caught, which is quite a number. As well you need to remove the Cy Young awards from pitchers who have been caught. Should also Golden Gloves and Silver Sluggers be removed? How about All-Star nods, do those go? How about all the records too? Do we remove Pennants won by teams who had cheaters? Fairly soon you'll have a disappearing history.

What do we do about those who haven't been caught which we know there are numerous? Do we only punish the cheaters we know about? What is accomplished about punishing just the cheaters we know about? Do fans feel better about baseball?

Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Keep testing those suspects whose names keep coming up over and over again.
No
Cleans up the sport as much as possible
Yes. I am even more satisfied as each year passes and cheaters like Bonds and Mcguire are overlooked for the HoF.

LIke I stated before if Charlie Hustle can get a lifetime ban and show no remorse then these guys too!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am

I already feel good about baseball. The updated JDA that added additional penalties + just cause suspensions is relatively new, but I think as players come up being tested all through the minors they'll come up in a culture that understands cheaters will be punished and in the long term I think baseball is better off than most other sports - especially football. I think there are some other penalties that could be put in place with a new CBA, like pay cuts for the duration of cheaters' contracts or something along those lines. The player's union has been taken over by the players who can't stand PEDs and the scar they leave on the sport, and so they'll be willing to go farther and farther to clean it up.

Several years ago you wouldn't have had quotes like this from Skip Schumaker or similar. Players used to fear being blackballed, if not officially then at least ostracized by their peers. Not anymore.

At the same time, pre-testing PED'ers belong in the HOF. It's a museum dedicated baseball history, not some sanitized version that makes people feel better.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Dposcorp

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Nice article that shows how my guy is affected, which is the same everywhere one of these players is, I am guessing.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/detroit-ti ... 00492.html

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Whereas Braun's suspension timing isn't great (though they got it without a failed test, which is a big deal), Peralta's timing could not be worse for the Tigers.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
At the same time, pre-testing PED'ers belong in the HOF. It's a museum dedicated baseball history, not some sanitized version that makes people feel better.

I subscribe to this definition:

1. A group of persons judged outstanding, as in a sport or profession.
2. A building housing memorial items honoring illustrious persons.

READ: not infamous.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Zyntak09
Gerbil

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:42 am

Scrotos wrote:
I thought this was about electric shavers.

...as did I. What is this "MLB" you people speak of? : 8)
My baby:
i7 4770k @ stock (for now) | ASRock Extreme6 x87 | 8GB 1600mhz
Samsung 840 250GB |Samsung F1 - 1TB | Corsair CX430 | Corsair 600T (White)
Netflix:
E1400 @ 2.4GHz | Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L | Samsung F1 1TB | 4GB DDR2 800

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:21 pm

A-Rod suspended for 2013-2014. I remember when people thought he could break the all-time career HR record. Not looking at all likely to me.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
A-Rod suspended for 2013-2014. I remember when people thought he could break the all-time career HR record. Not looking at all likely to me.

Yet there he was getting lustily booed by White Sox fans tonight. With MLB's messed up appeals process, he could drag this out well into the offseason
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!