Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Half Life movie?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:16 pm

I was reading an opinion piece from my local newspaper about video game movies sucking, and came across this line:
Meta-geek director Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim) is turning Valve Software's acclaimed Half-Life and Portal game franchises into movies

Source: http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/08/02/the-future-of-video-game-movies

This has me scared. Really really scared. I've come to grips that there will probably never be a HL3 (or even episode 3) and I can always fire up HL for some nostalgia. But this movie (if it happens) I feel would completely destroy HL for me.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Re: Half Life movie?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:24 pm

You haven't even seen a trailer yet, get a grip man.

It's fascinating to me how there is a convergence of film and game mediums happening now. I don't have a PS3 but I watched someone on youtube play through the entire game The Last of Us and I swear it had a better storyline, acting and production than the majority of the trash Hollywood is pumping out these days. I think it's safe to say a lot more games are destined for Hollywood adaptation down the line, games are becoming a creative source all of their own and Hollywood is flagging behind.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:04 pm

puppetworx wrote:
It's fascinating to me how there is a convergence of film and game mediums happening now. I don't have a PS3 but I watched someone on youtube play through the entire game The Last of Us and I swear it had a better storyline, acting and production than the majority of the trash Hollywood is pumping out these days. I think it's safe to say a lot more games are destined for Hollywood adaptation down the line, games are becoming a creative source all of their own and Hollywood is flagging behind.

You're confusing the two mediums. One can get away with a lot and one where the bottom line matters. Do think for one minute that Last of Us if brought to movie format would survive studio execs as it was presented in game format? Nope not going to happen, no way, no how.

Now if HL and Portal are done well and stay true to the universe and story I can see it doing very well. del Toro has done some amazing work thus far.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 pm

puppetworx wrote:
You haven't even seen a trailer yet, get a grip man.

The sad thing is that someone will probably make a film version of The Last Of Us that completely fails in all of those categories :-?

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:52 pm

They could just make it exactly like the game and it would still suck. You, the audience, are a mute guy that things happen to.

Now that conceit could make an interesting experimental/indie film - not an explosion and alien-filled blockbuster. They'd be better off using the character from OpFor in a movie imo.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Another speculative Half Life movie thread hits the intertubes: HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 pm

What I was trying to say is I don't understand why the OP is mad about Hollywood copying the story. Half Life the movie may be trash or it may not, maybe a lot of non-game players will love it! A hell of a lot of non-bookworms loved Lord of the Rings when it made it to the film medium that would never have considered the story in written form. I'm sure this will be similar, though I can't guess the films success or qualities until I at least see a trailer. Even if it is terrible though, it's hard to believe that OP's memory of the game will truly be tainted by the film.

If the aim of a story is to deeply immerse the reader, listener, watcher or player into it then games should theoretically be superior. Of course this isn't always the reality. I watched someone else play The Last of Us, I wasn't the player and I've never played it, yet I enjoyed watching it be played more than most of the games I've played in the last 15 years or so of gaming. I'm convinced it would make a good film or short series because of that, I'm certain it would if they made it a computer animated film and kept the original voice acting and score.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 pm

puppetworx wrote:
What I was trying to say is I don't understand why the OP is mad about Hollywood copying the story. Half Life the movie may be trash or it may not, maybe a lot of non-game players will love it! A hell of a lot of non-bookworms loved Lord of the Rings when it made it to the film medium that would never have considered the story in written form. I'm sure this will be similar, though I can't guess the films success or qualities until I at least see a trailer. Even if it is terrible though, it's hard to believe that OP's memory of the game will truly be tainted by the film.

Ever watch Starship Troopers then go back and read the novel? Or watch Star Wars 1 - 3 then watch 4 - 6. Or watch Super Mario Bros the movie then go play Super Mario World or Super Mario 3. Yes, terrible adaptations can ruin the source material.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

hhhoudini
Gerbil

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:44 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Ever watch Starship Troopers then go back and read the novel?

I read the novel years ago. I still haven't got up the nerve to watch the movie(s) :lol:

h

Khali
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 am

There is going to be another example of the Starship Troopers book to movie experience. If you have not read Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, give it a go. I enjoyed it years ago and I still give it a re read every now and then. Well, there is a movie being made of the book. We will just have to wait and see if its a good adaptation or not.

One video game to movie project that I actually enjoyed was the first Resident Evil movie. While it did not follow the game much at all it still conveyed the feel of the game.

The problem of going from book to movie is that when we read a book we build the setting and characters in our minds and what we imagine never ever comes close to what they are able to do in a movie. Then add in the time restraints of a movie, there is never enough time to film everything that happens in a book. The best they can do is try to copy the setting and loosely follow the story line.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:29 am

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
Another speculative Half Life movie thread hits the intertubes: HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!

What are you talking about? Half-Life 3 was quietly released about a month ago.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:19 am

Khali wrote:
The problem of going from book to movie is that when we read a book we build the setting and characters in our minds and what we imagine never ever comes close to what they are able to do in a movie. Then add in the time restraints of a movie, there is never enough time to film everything that happens in a book. The best they can do is try to copy the setting and loosely follow the story line.

I dont know, LoTR came pretty close to what I imagined as a child and adult when I read the books. The Hobbit on the other hand, so far, notsomuch.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

clone
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:14 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:11 pm

clone wrote:
the forgiving nature of a video game vs the intolerance film

video games are a partial vision, movies are a singular one.
video games tend to fully immerse the player by default & don't need to earn a players focus, movies need to pull the viewer into the movie or directors vision.
video games are open, movies aren't.

Guilermo Del Toro & Niel Blomkamp are the only two directors I'd trust to do Half Life or Halo movie adaptations.

when you look back at the work Guillermo Del Toro has done I'd be surprised if everyone like or dislike didn't accept 3 fundamentals, he tries in every frame of every movie, his movies have heart, and he respects the material. this is why I liked Pacific Rim far more than Star Trek Into Darkness despite Rim having no "huge", well known cast or a solid backstory.

That bodes well for Pacific Rim, it just went up around here. Although I wonder if I actually perhaps, maybe would also add Peter Jacksson to a director that I think would put up a good Movie. But both Del Toro and Blomkamp are spectacular thus far in everything I've seen. I just love District 9 and I pretty much watch anything Del Toro does without any doubt.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:47 am

neg