Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Cyril
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

"Get creative with PC parts" contest entry thread

Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Note: this thread is for contest entries only. If you would like to discuss the contest, please post in the comments section of the contest announcement on the main site.

In collaboration with Newegg, we're giving away a PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 Boost, a 1TB Samsung P3 Portable External Drive, and a Rosewill Throne gaming case. Entering the contest for a shot at the three prizes is simple: gather some PC components, put them together to look like a person or a robot, and post a photo of the result.

• You can use any combination of PC parts, so long as the result is anthropomorphic in some way.
  • You can use non-PC parts, such as shoes, clothing, and glasses, but try to keep those to a minimum.
  • You can only post one image. That image should be no wider than 800 pixels and must include your user name, the current date, and "techreport.com" on a piece of paper. (Photoshopping those details into a photo is not acceptable.)

Here's an example of a possible contribution to get your imagination going:

Contest regulations
Sorry, but this contest is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada (except Quebec) only.

Only one entry is allowed per person.

We will be accepting giveaway entries until August 12, 2013 at noon CDT, at which point this thread will be locked. TR staffers will then confer and select a winner from among all eligible entries. The winner will be announced on the site on August 13 and will also be notified via private message in the forums. The winner must claim his prize within 72 hours, or he will forfeit his prize, and we will draw a new winner.

All contributions must include the contributor's forum username, the date the picture was taken, and "techreport.com" on a piece of paper inside the image. Those details cannot be added using photo-editing software after the picture is taken. Entries that do not meet this requirement will be disqualified. We also reserve the right to disqualify entries that are apparent attempts to game the system or circumvent the rules in any way.

The staff of The Tech Report and their immediate families may not enter the giveaway and are not eligible to win.

No purchase is necessary. This giveaway is void where prohibited by law. Neither TR nor Newegg are responsible for any taxes on the prizes, damage in shipping, damage caused by using the prizes with other products, or health issues such as repetitive strain injury, eye strain, or chemical addictions that may result from prolonged use of the prizes.

eyekanspele
Gerbil In Training

Re: "Get creative with PC parts" contest entry thread

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Saw this contest posted on facebook by Rosewill.

I told my wife that hording spare computer parts would come handy one day...

All materials used are computer related other than the chair and packing tape

TruthStoryLies
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Here's mine :)

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm

Too much... *clap* *clap* time on your hands!

Oh well, no contest for me.

TheMonkeyKing
Gerbil

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:13 pm

I win! (It really looks human, doesn't it?)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:11 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Too much... *clap* *clap* time on your hands!

A guilty pleasure.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

jolo857069
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:59 am

how do you get your pics to show? Tried doing a different format, any help would be appreciated. New to the forum control world

Cyril
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:12 am

jolo857069 wrote:
how do you get your pics to show? Tried doing a different format, any help would be appreciated. New to the forum control world

Upload your image to a photo hosting service, like imgur or Photobucket, and then embed it into your post using [img] tags as outlined here.

jolo857069
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:51 am

Well here goes Image something
Last edited by jolo857069 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jolo857069
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:07 am

That was a lot more dramatic in my head apparently. It's showing a icon for the pic but not the pic itself. I used a link from dropbox. Edit..Thanks for the tip the imgur site is great and very entertaining
Last edited by jolo857069 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:28 am

Just use Imgur site... It's easy, fast and will instantly give you the link to your photo with [img] tags already present...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

offLimits
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:09 pm

I want the 7950...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Sorry for the badly 'shopped envelope. Didn't realize there was personally-identifying junk mail on my desk. :lol:

Wasn't going to enter after eyekanspele's masterpiece, but I decided I couldn't let him off too easily.

My favorite thing about this is the head. The body is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and an Avid Mbox Mini, with the arm cables sandwiched in there, the iPod Nano 2nd gen and coax cable for m4d h4xx0r1ngzzz!! The legs are some old speakers and then his giant feet keep him well balanced.

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:44 pm

I apologize for interjecting but I think you should've "widened up" the contest requirements and let the people use not only PC parts but electric components in general :wink: So you know, people would be able to create and use things like this, out of defective PSUs/motherboards/controllers and such:

This is not my creation, just a sample for illustrative purposes so disregard it.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Cyril
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:48 pm

JohnC wrote:
I apologize for interjecting but I think you should've "widened up" the contest requirements and let the people use not only PC parts but electric components in general :wink: So you know, people would be able to create and use things like this, out of defective PSUs/motherboards/controllers and such:

As long as the parts come from a PC, I'd say that's fair game.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:22 am

JohnC I really like your robots!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:46 pm

dashbarron wrote:
JohnC I really like your robots!

It's not mine - read the whole post, it was just a sample photo, partially to inspire others :wink:

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:42 am

Making me read! This is a pictorial thread, damnit!

Goofus Maximus
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Argh! Let's try this again...

My old PC-5000 with it's separate 5-1/4 floppy drive for it's head. The floppy and DVD drive were supposed to be a hat... :p

Behold the ultra modern'286 8088-powered beast, using high-tech magnetic bubble memory cartridges to load up that MS-DOS 2.01 goodness!

Ugh. Uninspired, I know. You said it had to be less than 800 pixels wide, but didn't mention anything about height, so deal with it! :D

Edit: If this were a bicycling adventure or panorama photo contest, I'd be more in the running, with this panorama of the Melvin Price lock and dam...

tasaunders
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Thought I'd give this a shot. New to the forums but not to reading Tech Report. I'm one of those suckers who doesn't have a camera on their phone so I was relegated to using my laptop's camera. :/ The nose is a Pentium II processor I totally forgot I had laying around, the head is a HP Laser Printer, the body is a monitor and the 'hair' is a Compaq laptop with an old Netgear router sitting on top.

Goofus Maximus
Gerbil

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:08 pm

That pic kind of generically reminds me of the "K-9" unit from the old Dr. Who TV series.

DashTrash
Gerbil

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:33 am

Well, after several tries, I think we got it! Only camera I have is cell phone. Wish the picture was clearer. We call it "Fishing for Prizes".

Thanks Newegg and techreport.com!

bronsconsin
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:12 am

"TR" knows how to tune your PC.

tasaunders
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:17 am

Goofus Maximus wrote:
That pic kind of generically reminds me of the "K-9" unit from the old Dr. Who TV series.

As a Whovian, I take that as a compliment. :D

sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:09 am

Everyone, Scuzzy and Zip Zip are pleased to make your acquaintance!
(Zip Zip is the dog, Scuzzy is the robot guy.)

Aah, there's something beautiful about a bot and his dog ;)

I raided my bro's dusty old computer parts for all their pieces. The only non-computer components are 4 small zip ties, and a stick of hot glue. And yes, they're both free-standing :)
Thanks for the opportunity to make my new friends!

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 am

Anyone who thinks zip-ties aren't computer components is clearly doing things wrong. ;)

Nice work sis! I love them!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Nice job, "sis_of_fish"!

njoydesign
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:31 am

Hello everyone! This is my very first post here, but it doesn't mean i am new here)) Been reading TR for the last 5 years and it's always been my favourite. Never registered cos never really felt the need to, just reading the comments section was usually enough)

This is very sad this contest is only for US and CAN residents, there was no mention of it in the original article. A possible win of a GFX and a case would really really help me right now to build a new workstation that I need so much but don't have the money to spend... :'(

I still decided to post the picture of my creation for you to see, even though it is going to be disqualified since I reside in the UK

there is also quite a bit going on the inside (fans, LED etc)...

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:19 am

Oh wow, very nice! :o

sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:18 am

Agreed! Very nicely executed, njoy! Wow!