Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Open Fantasy League

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Here's a league for anyone else who'd like to play that isn't part of Keepers or Bounties.

http://y.ahoo.it/XdMxm7t5

If you're in Keepers or Bounties, please hold off on joining until I call for support.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Open Fantasy League

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:07 am

You might as well make a BBQ league now......lets see if we can get 10-12 people this year.
Also, I would't mind if everyone wanted to chip in a few bucks to play.......maybe weed out a "ghost ship" team from the start.

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 am

I have signed up, but I want to make sure I also express my willingness to chip in a few bucks. Let me know what is appropriate.
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm signed up. I'll get the wife to join, too. We've been wanting to try FF for a while. So, uhhh, how does this draft work? Is it an auto draft? And if I just leave it alone will it go with the automatic rankings?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Losergamer04 wrote:
I'm signed up. I'll get the wife to join, too. We've been wanting to try FF for a while. So, uhhh, how does this draft work? Is it an auto draft? And if I just leave it alone will it go with the automatic rankings?

It's a live draft. Yahoo will assign a draft order which snakes from 1-10 and back from 10-1. Each draft spot has 90 seconds to make a decision. If you can't make the draft Yahoo will pick for you, but there are pitfalls in auto-pick. Yahoo will take the highest overall-rated player (in Yahoo's opinion) regardless of what positions you need filled. You could have 2 TE spots open and have filled all your WR spots, but autopick will grab a higher-rated WR if available even though you need a TE in that round. It's been getting better over the years, but it will still fill bench slots even if starting lineup slots are open. It's also notorious for picking kickers and defenses well before they should be picked (i.e. the last 2 rounds of the draft).

druidcent

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Losergamer04 wrote:

It's a live draft. Yahoo will assign a draft order which snakes from 1-10 and back from 10-1. Each draft spot has 90 seconds to make a decision. If you can't make the draft Yahoo will pick for you, but there are pitfalls in auto-pick. Yahoo will take the highest overall-rated player (in Yahoo's opinion) regardless of what positions you need filled. You could have 2 TE spots open and have filled all your WR spots, but autopick will grab a higher-rated WR if available even though you need a TE in that round. It's been getting better over the years, but it will still fill bench slots even if starting lineup slots are open. It's also notorious for picking kickers and defenses well before they should be picked (i.e. the last 2 rounds of the draft).

I thought auto-draft was opposite of that.. it used to fill up your starting line, even if a better player was available.. i.e. if you already had 2 RBs, and Adrian Peterson was still on the board, it would pick any slot not filled before an RB. That's why DEF and K get picked early, since they are in the starting line up...

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:24 am

There are only 4 of us signed up right now (5 if my wife joins). Is that going to be enough people? Sorry for the noob question, first go at this.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:06 pm

OK, we've got an odd number of teams in both Open Season and Bounties. Need one more in each league.

For Bounties, PM me an e-mail addy and you'll get the invite. For Open Season use the URL in the first post.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks to Lex-ington, we now have 6 in Open Season. Draft is tonight at 10:00 PM EDT. Now all I need is one more for Bounties, whose draft is tomorrow (9/3) at 10:00 PM EDT. PM me if interested. PLEASE.

I hate making dummy teams just to get through draft day.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Still need one more team for the Bounties league.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:41 pm

I have an invite out for spot 10 in the [TR] Bounties league but we're bumping up on draft time and still at an odd number. Therefore, I moved draft to 10:30 PM EDT tomorrow (Weds 9/4/13).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:38 am

OK, that didn't work as the invitee was already in the league. I've got one spot ready and waiting and all it takes is a PM with an email. Please don't force me into making a dummy team. You've got until about 9:00PM EDT today.

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Anyone else want to play in the open league? Man, I was so ready to live draft last night when I found out it got moved to tonight. It doesn't get much later than this. There's nine other people counting on whoever joins, so someone, please, step up and be the hero of the league.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:28 pm

thill9 wrote:
Anyone else want to play in the open league? Man, I was so ready to live draft last night when I found out it got moved to tonight. It doesn't get much later than this. There's nine other people counting on whoever joins, so someone, please, step up and be the hero of the league.

I've got an invite out to Kevin. If he doesn't sign up in time I'll bite the bullet and create a dummy team. It'll only draft players on IR.

EDIT: Kevin, if you're not signed up by 10:00 PM EDT I'll have to go dummy team so we can get draft done since the season starts tomorrow.

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Yeah, I'll be in by then if no one else wants it. Clock is ticking....someone please save me from myself!
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Kevin wrote:
Yeah, I'll be in by then if no one else wants it. Clock is ticking....someone please save me from myself!

Just sign in and even if someone else wants a team (not likely given my multiple pleadings) Yahoo's management systems have made it much easier to move an extant team to another person/e-mail.

The draft won't happen unless I "finalize team lists" in Yahoo's management tools and I can't do that with 9 teams.

EDIT: What I really wish I could get from Yahoo is their draft ranks redone for our non-standard scoring rules. Since we allow QBs 6 points for passing TDs compared to the 4 points in the Yahoo defaults, QBs are never rated properly.

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Ok, I'm in. The draft is the most fun anyways. ;)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 pm

OK, we are on and I've clicked the buttons I need to click.

Kevin, if for some reason you can't change the team name I can make it so.

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
OK, we are on and I've clicked the buttons I need to click.

Kevin, if for some reason you can't change the team name I can make it so.

No issues, the Evil Overlords rise again!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Kevin wrote:
No issues, the Evil Overlords rise again!

I've seen that face before.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Had a bit of grief getting into the draft app. If you're running any Rule 1 violators, it seems you need to whitelist or disable to get into the draft app.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I've seen that face before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLMo524tPs&t=01m23s
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

druidcent

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Ok.. Yahoo's autodraft sucks donkey balls... I got in for my first couple picks, but then I was driving and couldn't draft :(

I think I ended up with 8 RBs, 7 of questionable value :P

I'm in the market for just about everything... make and an offer, (esp. WR's) and I'm game..

druidcent

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Ok.. I suck at the waiver wire... Picked up Marvin Jones to replace a WR... see that he's injured, drop him, and watch him score 4TDs... Yeah.. that's my season.. I'm just trying to get into the playoffs...