Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Re: Hello from SAM, and AMD

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Yeah asking for PMs is a little weird after your original post but, whatever, PM sent.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 pm

Ryhadar wrote:
Yeah asking for PMs is a little weird after your original post but, whatever, PM sent.

I'd suggest any PM traffic be reposted here- but that's just me. What good is a PR guy that can't work in public?

clone
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:39 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:53 am

Airmantharp wrote:
And you don't sound committed. Are you sure AMD is getting their money's worth from you?

My g*d, what's with the angry face? Is this the kind of welcome the TR community should extend to a company rep that has the courage to step into the lions' den, especially considering how JF-AMD got chewed up by the community after being screwed over by AMD engineering? (For what it's worth, I think JF didn't get treated fairly at all.)

Welcome, Sam! As you can see, your life here won't be easy, but try not to worry about these extremists that think they have the right to know everything and get all upset if they don't get immediate answers to all their questions. I understand that you can't answer everything openly, and I think they do too (at least they should), so I think if you can point us to relevant public information about AMD's products, that would be helpful. Like, in my case, if there is some information about ultrathin Richland laptops and their battery life (especially compared to Intel's offerings) somewhere, that would be extremely helpful - I'm in the market for such a laptop now, and I'm eagerly looking for (unbiased) info on those.

Oh, and know that if you give some sensitive info to anyone here in a PM, it will most likely be shared publicly in the forums or article comments in no time...

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:01 am

NeelyCam wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
And you don't sound committed. Are you sure AMD is getting their money's worth from you?

My g*d, what's with the angry face?

Who said anything about angry? I'm more concerned that AMD is being misrepresented to the community.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:43 am

neg

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 am

Airmantharp wrote:
NeelyCam wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

My g*d, what's with the angry face?

Who said anything about angry? I'm more concerned that AMD is being misrepresented to the community.

You don't speak for all of us. I don't think SAM was misrepresenting the company. Being rude was completely uncalled here. You forgot, he has a limitation, he cannot answer each and every question being asked here, especially when all questions are related to future products.

Also, if he repetitively denies to answer the questions being asked here, he will only spread negative impression of the company (AMD) he represents.

If thats what you plan than you can press on...

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:35 am

Airmantharp wrote:

That's pretty much what official reps do. They here to paint rosy pictures of their employers, and then bear the brunt of our rage and frustration when reality turns out different.
His predecessor, JF-AMD did exceedingly well with both.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:43 am

jihadjoe wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

That's pretty much what official reps do. They here to paint rosy pictures of their employers, and then bear the brunt of our rage and frustration when reality turns out different.
His predecessor, JF-AMD did exceedingly well with both.

I don't disagree- he can say 'I don't know' or 'I can't comment on unreleased products' or 'I'll get back to you'- that'd be great!

It's the whole unprofessional (IMO) 'I'll just address one poster every rare time I log on' thing that stands out. He has the opportunity to engage the community and capitalize on AMD's recent strengths, but instead comes across, to me, as lazy. And I'm not trying to pick on the guy; I'm glad he's here and that AMD has a program that seeks to involve the community! But it needs to get much better; AMD definitely deserves better.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:02 am

Reading briefly through this thread reminds me why a lot of businesses don't support this type of customer interaction. The cost/benefit ratio is very skewed. SAM could spend hours upon hours researching these questions for you, clearing them in PR, and posting them... only to get maybe a sale or two out of tech savy folks who already have made up their minds before the question was asked, or get beat up over the response because the answer was not liked.

I say lets expect marking to severely throttle what Sam can divulge to the community. Be polite and understanding. Remember we are getting what we paid for through him, it is only fair to be patient and realize he has to clear some information first, or has been asked to say nothing about it. I'm certain he doesn't have a ton of insight into what features have been hamstrung over the years and why... too much history there or there are legal reasons (patent infringement).

If we get some insight into AMD and a few rare tidbits sneak out, I call that a bonus and more than we could hope for. I say welcome to Sam, stick with it, don your fireproof vest, and keep up the support!

Above all, don't expect miracles when the support is free.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:32 am

Yeah, don't be rude, guys. Sam's job ain't easy at all, especially with a company that has had to use PR and marketing to sell their products lately because Intel's being such a big, ruthless gorilla these days. No person here, not even Rory Read himself, can appease our questions. There are so many questions from AMD, questions whose answers are probably under NDA or can't be revealed at this point just yet.

Wishing you good luck, Sam. AMD FTW! (Yeah, I need to prove to Bensam that I'm an AMD fanboi! Jeez!)
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am

Can you give us all a general idea how is the new high end Hawaii GPU going to compare to the GTX780 and titan on performance?? Pretty please who cares about NDA's :) AMD is going to announce the big boy Hawaii GPU in Hawaii Sept 25 anyways, only 40 days away.

A little bit of information could get people to hold up on buying GTX780's since it is going to cost $600 perhaps less making it at least $50 cheaper then the 780.

Also when can we expect to see another driver update for frame pacing so you can get rid of those stock piled 7990's you fellas dropped the price 200 dollars. Plus it could encourage more 7950 and 7970 purchases for crossfire setups :)

EDIT:
So are you going to Hawaii for the big unveiling ?
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

SHOES
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Welcome to the community, at this point it goes without saying but I hope you are ready to face an extremely intelligent and curious group of people. :wink:

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:33 pm

Huh... looks like this thread died completely.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:55 pm

RIP, AMD 'community outreach program', we hardly knew ye.

Maybe they'll regroup and put something useful together next time?

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 am

Yeah. Disappeared... just like that. What's up with that, AMD?
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

clone
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:43 pm

neg

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:07 pm

clone wrote:
why are you asking here?

preferred discussion method was PM not this thread, this thread was a meet and greet.

If I want to initiate a 'private' discussion, I'll email someone who actually works directly for AMD, thanks.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Meh, this guy isn't going to tell us anything you can't already read on Fudzilla, even WCCFtech will be a better indicator of what's to come from AMD than a PR guy who can't tell us anything we ask him because most of it is probably still under NDA.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
Meh, this guy isn't going to tell us anything you can't already read on Fudzilla, even WCCFtech will be a better indicator of what's to come from AMD than a PR guy who can't tell us anything we ask him because most of it is probably still under NDA.

Yup, and that's exactly why his presence here was questionable at best- I mean, seriously, what can he offer?

And I have an answer to that- which he patently failed. He had the opportunity to tell us what he can tell us- even if it's 95% 'I can't talk about that, wink wink'- and instead chose to cherry pick topics while outright ignoring most of the inquiries that were in response to his own thread. Further, it doesn't look like he sought to be vetted by TR leadership or forum moderators; regular forum members had to dig up dirt on him just to attempt to confirm his legitimacy, which is a big concern.

Last, in the responses he did provide, he tried to be as opaque as possible. That's great for a politician, sure, as it keeps ammo out of the hands of your opponents, but that's not going to be conducive to engaging the community around your company's products and services as a 'community representative' for said company.

Crap like ignoring questions outright- it takes what, ten seconds to respond?- and directing questions to PM's just comes across as shady at best, especially when we know that he doesn't have anything 'new' to offer us. The real value that he could have provided to AMD was that he could have acted as a tailored marketing tool to enthusiast communities, and that he could have filtered all of the reactions and critiques that enthusiasts share about companies like AMD in places like the TR forums and communicated them back to AMD in a useful manner, allowing them to better target their products to their prospective customers.

So if anyone has lost here, it's AMD- their employees, their managers, their shareholders- and of course their customers. And that's sad, because a competitive AMD is good for everyone, and a non-competitive AMD means less innovation and higher prices for all of us.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Well it seemed like he was in way over his head here. Seems like he was more suited to answer only the barest of easy questions and not much else beyond buy AMD, NV is bad stuff. Maybe next time AMD will send someone that can at least engage our comunity.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:27 pm

clone wrote:
why are you asking here?

preferred discussion method was PM not this thread, this thread was a meet and greet.

Well, I did send Warsam a PM shortly after this thread started but I never got a response. So much for PMs.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Well it seemed like he was in way over his head here. Seems like he was more suited to answer only the barest of easy questions and not much else beyond buy AMD, NV is bad stuff. Maybe next time AMD will send someone that can at least engage our comunity.

I'll second that. Wonder if we can get Damage and Co. to engage AMD over this issue directly?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Maybe next time AMD will send someone that can at least engage our community.

Just to temper things a bit, don't expect a marketing droid to give us an inside pre-release scoop on upcoming hardware. That job belongs to the D&D crew (Damage & Dissonance).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Oh, absolutely no doubt he was in over his head. But he did express a willingness (in a PM exchange I had with him) to go the extra mile to chase down people who could help him answer the more technical questions. Only time will tell whether he is truly willing, able, and allowed to follow through on that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 am

Yeah but the fact after that he completely disappeared, show that he ran for the hills after getting swamped with stuff he had no clue about. He might do okay on Toms hardware with marketing speak, but not here where many people have a lot of deep knowledge.

Geonerd
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 am

Don't be so hard on the chap; he's demonstrated world-class execution and skill in synergistically aligning his core competencies with AMD's innovative Chirping Crickets marketing strategy. :roll:

Bonusbartus
Gerbil

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:34 am

Last visited:
Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:17 pm

maybe only got paid one month?

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:29 am

Bonusbartus wrote:
Last visited:
Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:17 pm

maybe only got paid one month?

Maybe he was an intern hired with money from the Google Summer of Marketing* program?

* The lesser-known cousin of Google Summer of Code.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg