Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

James Carlsom
Gerbil
Topic Author

The Xbox One could be priced lower than the PS4

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Xbox One, on release comes with the kinnect and a 500GB hard drive. BUT, Microsoft said that there may be different versions of the Xbox One. The first version will have the Kinect/500GB bundle for $500. The second version is with no Kinect but still with the 500GB hard drive and according to some may be around $400. Then there is the third version with no Kinect and a smaller hard drive for probably around $350. I myself was never that into the Kinect so I may buy the $400 version and possibly buy the Kinect separately later. A thing to know though, the second and third version will not be out when the Xbox One releases. They will most likely be out 1-3 months after the first release this winter.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: The Xbox One could be priced lower than the PS4

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:32 am

More "customer choice" from MS? Did Ballmer ran out of crack or went into rehab or something? :lol:
Anyway, whatever brings better competition is always a good thing.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:51 am

Would not be a surprise if true; MS has been doing similarly all throughout the 360's life - the first one launched with the 20GB hard drive or the Arcade version with no HDD. Still true today. I'm still going PS4 when I go next-gen console, though. That's where the games I want will be.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:00 am

How much money could Microsoft really save (and thus reduce the price by) by shipping a smaller hard drive? 500 GB laptop drives are $60 at Newegg & the like, and Microsoft is surely getting a better price than that. Of course, they could chose take a larger loss on the cheap model.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 am

I thought the Kinect was integrated into the XBone?

Even then, though, I could see the XBone having a lower price tag than a PS4, but with a catch. "Save" $100-$200 on your console by signing up for 1-2 years of Xbox Live Gold. This is also something Microsoft field tested with the Xbox 360 last year.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 am

DreadCthulhu wrote:
How much money could Microsoft really save (and thus reduce the price by) by shipping a smaller hard drive? 500 GB laptop drives are $60 at Newegg & the like, and Microsoft is surely getting a better price than that. Of course, they could chose take a larger loss on the cheap model.

I wouldn't expect a smaller hard drive; I'd expect 8GB of flash and losing the ability to install discs to the internal storage. Probably a slot for an expansion drive that will, overall, wind up driving the price higher than if people had just bought the bigger drive at the start.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:11 am

superjawes wrote:
I thought the Kinect was integrated into the XBone?

Even then, though, I could see the XBone having a lower price tag than a PS4, but with a catch. "Save" $100-$200 on your console by signing up for 1-2 years of Xbox Live Gold. This is also something Microsoft field tested with the Xbox 360 last year.

Most people will probably sign up with Gold anyway, same for PSN+ for PS4. Even if you don't play a lot online you'll get a free monthly games so it's well worth the annual fee...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:53 am

PS+ is awesome. Unfortunately my 250GB drive in my PS3 is almost completely fully. Haven't swapped out for a 750GB drive because I'm afraid I'll lose games that aren't on PS+ anymore...

Narishma
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:09 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
DreadCthulhu wrote:

I wouldn't expect a smaller hard drive; I'd expect 8GB of flash and losing the ability to install discs to the internal storage. Probably a slot for an expansion drive that will, overall, wind up driving the price higher than if people had just bought the bigger drive at the start.

I don't think that's possible. Xbone (and PS4) games are played from the hard drive, not the discs. They install themselves automatically in the background while you play them.

Techgoudy
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:41 am

I need someone to link to the source where Microsoft said they were gonna have different models. I could've sworn Kinect was an essential piece and that the system would not work without it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

and that the system can turn kinect "off".

http://kotaku.com/xbox-ones-kinect-can-turn-off-microsoft-says-noting-510100564

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am

Narishma wrote:
I don't think that's possible. Xbone (and PS4) games are played from the hard drive, not the discs. They install themselves automatically in the background while you play them.

Wasn't sure if that was still true with the backpedaling on DRM - but that's still the case?

Techgoudy is right - I've never seen that in print outside of this thread, so I only talked about it assuming it was possible.

James Carlsom
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:03 pm

I read a blog on the xbox website that said you do not need the Kinect. They just want you to buy it so they get more money.

Techgoudy
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Can I get the link to this blog? I would love to check it out and see for myself why they claim that.

Thanks.
Last edited by Techgoudy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:07 pm

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/07/24 ... out-kinect

This article says the exact opposite (and contains a link to the refuted story), so I guess we're done here.

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:32 pm

"We have no plans to introduce an Xbox One without Kinect"

The key word in the above sentence is 'introduce". After initial release we'll see an XB1 bundle without Kinect... so sometime during 2014.

James Carlsom
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:41 pm

I found a Youtube video explaining it. The guys are a little annoying but they'll give you the facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvXZsufIS5U

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/07/24/microsoft-no-plans-for-xbox-one-without-kinect

This article says the exact opposite (and contains a link to the refuted story), so I guess we're done here.

Well, to be fair Microsoft's "plans" can change very rapidly as they themselves have shown :wink: And they still might do this since the One is not really being a "hot product" (to put it mildly) in terms of preorders, at least according to current Amazon's "Best Sellers in Video Games" list:
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-vide ... ideogames/

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 pm

James Carlsom wrote:
I found a Youtube video explaining it. The guys are a little annoying but they'll give you the facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvXZsufIS5U

This is actually what Microsoft was refuting.

As JohnC said, plans change over time, but I'll just believe it when I see it. Predicting it repeatedly and then sliding the timeframe back until it eventually sort of happens doesn't make you "right" unless you're DigiTimes or Charlie Demerjian.

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:57 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
This is actually what Microsoft was refuting.

The article didn't refute anything. The article says Xbox One will be introduced with Kinect. So the rumor still stands, different bundles without Kinect later on.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Oh so we're just down to "I choose to believe because it makes sense" vs. "I choose not to believe because MS said so". I don't believe MS has the capacity for making sense, so I choose not to believe. :p

They're flat-out denying that there will be different bundles. Their intention is to sell an Xbone for as much as they can, and Kinect is apparently part of that plan.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I can't believe people are still thinking about buying a Xbone after MS tried very hard to screw you over with the DRM scheme. Remember the little thing about having to be always online, no more buying or selling used games, only being able to share the game once for only an hour with a friend? When the manure hit the rotary impeller and MS figured out this was not going to fly they finally gave in on all that but then took the only toy still on the playing field, the family sharing plan, and walked off. Not that any one could ever figure out just how the family sharing plan was supposed to work, or that it would even work at all. Then they tried to squash all the Indie game makers by not letting them on Xbox live. That dies when Sony announced its plans and welcomed the Indie crowd. :o

MS has shown you where they want to go with game consoles. No more owning a game, you just rent the rights to play it from them with lots of fee's for what they call extras. Push the small Indie game studios out of the picture. Oh, and there is always that little disclaimer where they reserve the rights to make changes to the equipment and serves as they feel like it. Yes they were forced to give in because of the public reaction. Does not mean they have given up in the long run. :evil:

Sony went the opposite direction with the PS4 thus giving people a better option than what MS had in mind. If that option had not been out there I believe MS would have stuck to their guns and killed the gaming console as we know it right then and there. I know where my money is going to be spent when I get the urge for a new console and it isn't with MS.

(sorry for the semi off topic rant, I could not hold it in any longer) :oops:

superjawes

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Xenolith wrote:
"We have no plans to introduce an Xbox One without Kinect"

The key word in the above sentence is 'introduce". After initial release we'll see an XB1 bundle without Kinect... so sometime during 2014.

"Introduce" does not apply exclusively to the first shipment. The only "keyword" in the quoted statement (if there any) is "plans." As in, "we don't plan to inroduce an XBone without Kinect, but if we eventually do, it probably means that sales were lower than expected and we decided that we'd at least try to make money."
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:41 pm

^^ This is why the forum needs up and down thumbs. +1 for superjawes.

superjawes

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Khali wrote:
I can't believe people are still thinking about buying a Xbone after MS tried very hard to screw you over with the DRM scheme. Remember the little thing about having to be always online, no more buying or selling used games, only being able to share the game once for only an hour with a friend? When the manure hit the rotary impeller and MS figured out this was not going to fly they finally gave in on all that but then took the only toy still on the playing field, the family sharing plan, and walked off. Not that any one could ever figure out just how the family sharing plan was supposed to work, or that it would even work at all. Then they tried to squash all the Indie game makers by not letting them on Xbox live. That dies when Sony announced its plans and welcomed the Indie crowd. :o

MS has shown you where they want to go with game consoles. No more owning a game, you just rent the rights to play it from them with lots of fee's for what they call extras. Push the small Indie game studios out of the picture. Oh, and there is always that little disclaimer where they reserve the rights to make changes to the equipment and serves as they feel like it. Yes they were forced to give in because of the public reaction. Does not mean they have given up in the long run. :evil:

Sony went the opposite direction with the PS4 thus giving people a better option than what MS had in mind. If that option had not been out there I believe MS would have stuck to their guns and killed the gaming console as we know it right then and there. I know where my money is going to be spent when I get the urge for a new console and it isn't with MS.

(sorry for the semi off topic rant, I could not hold it in any longer) :oops:
Relax, Khali. Take a chill pill :lol:

Okay, so let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment. I don't think Microsoft was trying to screw anyone. The reality is that EVERYTHING is moving toward digital distribution. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 have major distribution set up. What I think Microsoft got wrong was timing, alienating physical media too soon, and while used games and game sharing ended up in a problematic situation, you even mention the family sharing system, which would have been cool. However, a system like that would be heavily depending on a strong digital backbone (DRM), as would the ability to play your games on any console without discs.

Also, I'd like to point out that Microsoft was very silent during E3. Personally, I think the decision to abandon the DRM system was made around or before the announcement event, or shortly after. I think some insiders probably knew before they even announced it that the DRM would not go over well.

derFunkenstein wrote:
D'awww, thank you.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

You guys should create a Facebook accounts and share them with each other so you can "Like" each one's posts there as much as you want to :wink:

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:34 pm

I have to differ on whether MS was trying to screw any one. They attempted to wipe out any used game sales unless they got a fee out of the deal. Go back and read, if you can find it now, how that was supposed to work before they backed off on the whole thing. It would have hurt and probably put out of business most of the small mom and pop used game stores. Sure you could give a game to a friend, then that friend had to pay MS a fee before they could use it. More money for MS, which is what the whole thing was about. They wanted the control over the games, even after you bought it with your money, and the right to add in fee's all over the place to control what you did with it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Khali wrote:
I have to differ on whether MS was trying to screw any one. They attempted to wipe out any used game sales unless they got a fee out of the deal. Go back and read, if you can find it now, how that was supposed to work before they backed off on the whole thing. It would have hurt and probably put out of business most of the small mom and pop used game stores. Sure you could give a game to a friend, then that friend had to pay MS a fee before they could use it. More money for MS, which is what the whole thing was about. They wanted the control over the games, even after you bought it with your money, and the right to add in fee's all over the place to control what you did with it.

Ditch the MS hate for a moment. The end recipients of the fees paid to MS to register used games were going to be the game publishers. MS has no vested interest in eliminating GameStop and the like but the publishers clearly do. The original scheme would have given individual publishers the yes/no on sharing of used games and let them set the fee to be paid for doing so, collected through Xbox online accounts and shuffled off to the publishers.

Don't forget that you have never legally owned (at least in the US) the data/code on a single game disk/cartridge you've ever purchased.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:09 am

Captain Ned wrote:
[MS has no vested interest in eliminating GameStop and the like but the publishers clearly do.
Hmm, I don't know about that. The way I understand it, MS gets a piece of every new Xbox game sold, regardless of who published it. MS doesn't collect revenue from used console games for their systems like they do from new games. Therefore, if they eliminate used games, the only alternative is for people to buy new games if they want to play...thus increasing MS's revenue.