Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Who is The Most Worthy?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Forge - For risking a lifetime forum ban by giving Damage bunny ears in the group photo
8 (15%)
Mrs. Shoes - For being Ellie's buddy all day and basically making it possible for her and Mrs. Fish to attend
10 (19%)
Colt - For this photo
3 (6%)
ClickClick5 - For riding 2,429 miles round trip on a crotch rocket to attend
13 (25%)
Sheldomaus - For his "my fingers smell funny!" outburst and raw unrestrained excitment over owning so much lube
3 (6%)
Mrs. Frobozz - For letting Stiffie beat her at bean bags leading the way for him to become the Golden Cupcake
2 (4%)
Damage - For knocking off Skuzzy's head, botching the give away numbers, and deadpanning, "I haven't gotten that old yet" in response to Ned's, "Sometimes the spud just doesn't want to cooperate."
7 (13%)
thegleek - For almost turning a paper lantern into a submarine and demonstrably incredible situational awareness
6 (12%)

Total votes: 52

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: TR BBQ ~X~ Official Thread

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 am

drfish wrote:
Maybe if we get another upgrade next year, was barely able to do 720p this time around. I'm thinking something more centrally located and mobile (but not as much so as Hat Cam). Will make sure we can get WiFi at least to the top of the stairs if not down on the beach next year.

A single access point hanging from one of the trees at the top of the stairs would probably cover the whole area (beach and yard) nicely. You'd need to string some Ethernet cable out there somehow though.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:57 am

just brew it! wrote:
drfish wrote:
Maybe if we get another upgrade next year, was barely able to do 720p this time around. I'm thinking something more centrally located and mobile (but not as much so as Hat Cam). Will make sure we can get WiFi at least to the top of the stairs if not down on the beach next year.

A single access point hanging from one of the trees at the top of the stairs would probably cover the whole area (beach and yard) nicely. You'd need to string some Ethernet cable out there somehow though.

I usually have a spare router or two running DD-WRT, and its pretty easy to configure one or more wireless bridges.
One on top of the stairs that lead to the beach and one at the other house should do it.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Scott Wasson - "Damage"

curryspices
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Another successful year guys. Thanks for having us :)

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
drfish wrote:

I usually have a spare router or two running DD-WRT, and its pretty easy to configure one or more wireless bridges.
One on top of the stairs that lead to the beach and one at the other house should do it.

indeed...I have a pair running now that'll probably be upgraded before the next bbq..
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:38 pm

1870 miles/35 hours of driving and 4 hotel nights later, I am home. Had a great time for my BBQ #2. Food & fireworks show were awesome as always, Ellie is mighty damn cute (and has a large & dedicated support staff), and Gleek still has neither short-term memory nor a firm grasp of lighter-than-air flight dynamics.

Forge, thanks a million for the GFX donation (9800 GX2 and don't laugh everyone else, 'cause it's replacing an 8800 GTS 640MB). Now I just need to find the time to crack the case and install it, which I'm sure will anger the dust bunnies.

Planning on returning as some mild OC'ing of the cannon was discussed. Need to engage in a couple of tests.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Sheldomaus wrote:
For me I think Frobozz's performance against zgirl in the tourney should be Wasson Cup worthy.
I think Gleek actually got a video of it.

video of frobozz performance is indeed wasson cup worthy, it's 44 megs, so download at your own leisure:

http://www.thegleek.com/media/frobozz-2013-techbbqX.mp4

Dposcorp

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:17 pm

Those of you who want to play in the TR BBQ FF league....post here and PM CaptainNed or Frobozz before it fills up.........its one of the few times during the year I can talk smack to Damage, the mods and admins...............although they usually can't hear that well down there at the bottom of the league ;)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Those of you who want to play in the TR BBQ FF league....post here and PM CaptainNed or Frobozz before it fills up.........its one of the few times during the year I can talk smack to Damage, the mods and admins...............although they usually can't hear that well down there at the bottom of the league ;)

As I said in the front page comments, PM FroBozz_Inc. I've got no commish rights to the BBQ league.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:12 pm

drfish wrote:
Livestream was here.

How does one obtain a copy of that 14+ hour long video?

According to livestream.com, the owner of the event (video) is the only one that can download it...

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:34 pm

I couldn't download it but I had a local copy so it didn't matter. If you mail me a flash drive I'll send it back with the video on it. :)

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Home. 2428.6 miles round trip, three days.

I hurt.

To all who recommended flying next year, will do.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 pm

drfish wrote:
I couldn't download it but I had a local copy so it didn't matter. If you mail me a flash drive I'll send it back with the video on it. :)

I have extended Youtube uploading permissions, my limit is 2 hours or so per file/segment. Maybe when I Paypal you pillowcase postage, I'll throw in some extra funding for you to get a thumbdrive and load it up, and I'll post it all.

Also, my wife just reheated the first half of my travelling bag of ribs, and my daughter very nearly literally fought me for the last ones. ZGirl, how much for the recipe/prep instructions? She'll pay!

Lonewolf - Glad to hear it's still shiny for ya! It always wanted an SSD, it should be an easy and worthwhile boost. Likewise if you bump the ram a little more while you put the lighted keyboard in. It's got a lot of potential. Also, my daughter absolutely loves her new pc. She's never owned a shiny setup before.

Ned - Let me know if it gives you any trouble. I didn't get a chance to fire it up myself, it was a fresh trade on the way to the BBQ. If that one doesn't do the trick, I can post you something better that does. I think OCing might be fun, but a hybrid potato/glowstick load as the light fades would be a fantastic lead-in to the fireworks show. I'll add a box of glowsticks to my gear list for next year. (Thermite, lighter fluid and Sterno for the balloons, now glowsticks, what else did we say?)

Damage - You wouldn't ban me. You'd get lonely after a while. ;P

Clickclick - On a bike? Where are you going home to? I need to stop whining about my 11 hours in the car immediately.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Forge wrote:
Clickclick - On a bike? Where are you going home to? I need to stop whining about my 11 hours in the car immediately.

DrFish said something about someone riding from Colorado, must be him.

As for the cannon OC, the glowstick/tracer idea was the OC. Flammable vapors (i.e. propane) need be in a tightly-constrained range of fuel/air ratios to work. Outside those ratios, you don't even get a pfft. I'd love to try an accelerant-soaked potato, but I fear that drippage into the firing chamber would so mess up F/A ratios as to prevent launch.

Hmm, how to turn this into a light gas gun with a burst disk between combustion chamber & barrel, and would that preclude combustion ignition of the projectile? Winter's coming soon and I'll have time to tinker.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Victorious Secret wrote:
I can't believe I let Stiffie beat me at the bean bag tournament. :o

Yeah, I'm now like 1-20 against you, much like Sheldomaus is against me.

drfish wrote:

PM me your address, me wants

I also ate a couple of the hamburgers that zgirl gave me (as the only attendee who's not into ribs). I have a couple more and will weep when they are gone.

Captain Ned wrote:
Forge wrote:

Dear God. I like a good ride as much as the next guy but I do believe that would kill me. And on a crotch rocket? Epic pass. But next time someone says "oh, that's just so far to drive" we can in all truth say "stfu wanker, ClickClick owns your face."

Again, just a fantastic time with some fantastic people.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:19 pm

idchafee wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Forge wrote:

Dear God. I like a good ride as much as the next guy but I do believe that would kill me. And on a crotch rocket? Epic pass. But next time someone says "oh, that's just so far to drive" we can in all truth say "stfu wanker, ClickClick owns your face."

Again, just a fantastic time with some fantastic people.

Haha epic! Yeah Lakewood, CO. Did a 14 hour day yesterday and a 10 hour today. Here is what happened on the ride:
-Medium compound tire is destroyed due to heavy straight driving :lol:
-Front right LED blinker quit.
-Low beam headlight burnt out.
-Chain is sticking.
-Need oil change.
-Need new sparkplugs.
-Needs throttle body syncing
-And needs a HEAVY wash. Nebraska is quite buggy. :roll:

Hehe yeah, I'll fly next year!

More importantly, how did my biker buddy do going home?
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:29 pm

ClickClick5 wrote:
Haha epic! Yeah Lakewood, CO. Did a 14 hour day yesterday and a 10 hour today.

Had to parse that twice or thrice to grok that that was one half of the trip. I thought you were claiming 2429 miles in 24 hours which, given that particular section of I-80, isn't completely out of the question.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
ClickClick5 wrote:

Had to parse that twice or thrice to grok that that was one half of the trip. I thought you were claiming 2429 miles in 24 hours which, given that particular section of I-80, isn't completely out of the question.

Very possible. I was on a couple different interstates on the way home, and managed an aggregate average of 88.2 MPH return speed. There was some construction in Ohio that dragged that down a trifle, too. :(

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Forge wrote:
There was some construction in Ohio that dragged that down a trifle, too. :(

The Ohio Turnpike construction was a PITA, no doubt. Thankfully an unrestricted 100-mile run over my favorite stretch of Adirondack twisties this afternoon more than made up for yesterday's drone to Erie, PA.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Forge wrote:
There was some construction in Ohio that dragged that down a trifle, too. :(

The Ohio Turnpike construction was a PITA, no doubt. Thankfully an unrestricted 100-mile run over my favorite stretch of Adirondack twisties this afternoon more than made up for yesterday's drone to Erie, PA.

My personal favorite: cruising in Western PA at about 110 in a 65, and a State Trooper roared by and passed me. He did wag his finger and scowl, but he was doing a good 10-15 MPH more, so I guess he was hurrying home for lunch.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
ClickClick5 wrote:

2429/24=101.20MPH sustained. Lol I wish!

But with that I80 construction and heat sitting there...man it got rough. I stayed around 80-90MPH in non construction zones.
Now for bed... work tomorrow at 5AM. Bye-Bye weekend. :(

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:22 am

New Wasson Cup nomination:
ClickClick5's epic bike ride!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:23 am

drfish wrote:

Seconded. 2400 miles on a crotch rocket puts my 1900 miles in a comfy wide-ass pseudo-leather seat to shame, not to mention the monotony of the scenery. He's probably one of the nation's top corn crop analysts by now.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 am

Captain Ned wrote:
drfish wrote:

Seconded. 2400 miles on a crotch rocket puts my 1900 miles in a comfy wide-ass pseudo-leather seat to shame, not to mention the monotony of the scenery. He's probably one of the nation's top corn crop analysts by now.

This just in: Nebraska has corn. With a few dispersed cows...followed by corn once more. Then corn again.

Dposcorp

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 am

Will I get banned if I post the video of Damage and Inkling's EPIC FAIL! when trying generate the numbers 1 thru 40 for a random drawing?
Lets find out :)
(The fun starts at 1:30)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B01YMXR ... sp=sharing

curryspices
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:55 am

curryspices wrote:

Sorry for my nub post. I'm Gleek's wife, aka Mustardplug on minecraft. Also I've been thinking in fairness that other people should have the chance to experience a stay inside the cottage so they may afford to go to BBQ. I haven't run this by Dr.fish yet but we have a tent and as long as we get the same ribs and homey breakfast I'm down. I am so thankful to have a nice getaway with lovely people and great food. Really had a great time 8) .

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:15 am

curryspices wrote:
curryspices wrote:

Sorry for my nub post. I'm Gleek's wife, aka Mustardplug on minecraft. Also I've been thinking in fairness that other people should have the chance to experience a stay inside the cottage so they may afford to go to BBQ. I haven't run this by Dr.fish yet but we have a tent and as long as we get the same ribs and homey breakfast I'm down. I am so thankful to have a nice getaway with lovely people and great food. Really had a great time 8) .

We prefer that first time posters have at least 1K postcount before their first post, but I guess you can slide. ;)

I was originally planning on car-sleeping, and there was a free bunk in the bunkhouse yet, so I'm sure we can top 60 next year. If I bring the wife+kids, I may drive a van or rent a camper of some type and stay across the road at the Kiwanis lot. Seemed nice over there, too.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 am

Forge wrote:
We prefer that first time posters have at least 1K postcount before their first post, but I guess you can slide. ;)

Entry Level position for college grads:
~3-5 years experience required.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:53 am

ClickClick5 wrote:
This just in: Nebraska has corn. With a few dispersed cows...followed by corn once more. Then corn again.

IOW... just like Iowa. And Illinois too, unless you're within about a 40 mile radius of Chicago.

curryspices wrote:
I haven't run this by Dr.fish yet but we have a tent and as long as we get the same ribs and homey breakfast I'm down. I am so thankful to have a nice getaway with lovely people and great food. Really had a great time 8) .

Yup, tent in the back yard worked fantastic this year. Great weather for it. If you tent next year, just make sure you pitch yours far enough from mine that my snoring won't keep you awake all night! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:44 am

just brew it! wrote:
And Illinois too, unless you're within about a 40 mile radius of Chicago.

I think Illinois has more soybeans than Nebraska or Iowa.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!