Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

James Carlsom
Gerbil
Topic Author

Far Cry 4 has been confirmed!

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:33 pm

One of Far Cry 3's developers said that since the franchise has been so popular they are encouraged to make a Far Cry 4. The location in the game has not been decided yet, they want to here from us where we want it at. I can't wait till this comes out!

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Re: Far Cry 4 has been confirmed!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 pm

I don't know if that counts as "confirmed." But it doesn't need to be confirmed - they will definitely make a sequel... and it will be on an island. I'm not knocking the game at all, I really want to play Far Cry 3 (still waiting for a $10-15 price) but most of this information goes in the "obvious" pile.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Not sure a random developer saying they're "encouraged" is quite the same thing as confirmed :)

That being said, I would be surprised if they didn't do another Far Cry... it's a good game, and it's sold pretty well. As for the location... I like the island theme, but I'd like to see more variety... maybe a real city or two?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:35 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
I really want to play Far Cry 3 (still waiting for a $10-15 price) but most of this information goes in the "obvious" pile.

Shouldn't it be obvious that people have been selling their bundled copies for that price for quite some time? That's how I got mine 8).

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:32 pm

James Carlsom wrote:
Far Cry 4 confirmed

This can only mean one thing: HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 am

Let the milking begin...

... another series of games that will slowly deteriorate and become less and less fun until every last penny has been wrung out and everything that once was original with it is dead and buried.

Cynical... no, me. Never!

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 am

Have to say, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with FC4. Really enjoyed the gameplay of FC3 and Blood Dragon is great fun, very funny. FC3 main story is complete crap, but gameplay makes up for it.
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:46 am

Aphasia wrote:
Let the milking begin...

... another series of games that will slowly deteriorate and become less and less fun until every last penny has been wrung out and everything that once was original with it is dead and buried.

Cynical... no, me. Never!

I've liked all three in the series so far, and 3 is actually the best so far in my opinion. The key, I think, is that each game stands on it's own instead of being a sequel; so the whole thing about what was once original is moot. I don't see any reason to believe a fourth game in the series will be less fun.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 am

So do you save the girl or avenge the girl in FC4? Or are you the girl?

These titles are all becoming so predictable and monotonous in their premise and plot. I hope she's a really good looking girl, at the very least. :-?

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 am

BIF wrote:

These titles are all becoming so predictable and monotonous in their premise and plot. I hope she's a really good looking girl, at the very least. :-?

What fc3 was bros before whose, you save your brother. I'm hoping you have to save your pet dog from animal testing in fc4
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:38 am

Pax-UX wrote:
BIF wrote:

What fc3 was bros before whose, you save your brother. I'm hoping you have to save your pet dog from animal testing in fc4

Okay, now that is funny! :lol:

James Carlsom
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:00 am

cphite wrote:
Not sure a random developer saying they're "encouraged" is quite the same thing as confirmed :)

That being said, I would be surprised if they didn't do another Far Cry... it's a good game, and it's sold pretty well. As for the location... I like the island theme, but I'd like to see more variety... maybe a real city or two?

Something like Just Cause 2 with the cities, jungles, mountains, deserts, and oceans mixed together so fluently would be great. I'd probably never stop playing that if I could go up on skyscrapers and jump of with the wingsuit

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:15 pm

James Carlsom wrote:
cphite wrote:

Something like Just Cause 2 with the cities, jungles, mountains, deserts, and oceans mixed together so fluently would be great. I'd probably never stop playing that if I could go up on skyscrapers and jump of with the wingsuit

I hope they go for it (in fact, I bet it's already in development). I really liked FC3, played every mode and got all the tats. I also went through the different endings. Personally, I give it up to Ubi Montreal for delivering an excellent sandbox FPS...only one little complain I had was the AI - a little too predictable imo, those NPCs looked lost sometimes.

Rico Rodruiguez? I remember him well, and I agree with you, I hope the next FC will feature some environment elements similar to JC2, maybe even the grappling hook?!?! :D
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Gee, maybe it will actually be open world without stupid cut scenes that force you into oddball control moves and messages that going off their missions will get you killed, etc. Open world, really?

They could learn from looking back at the magnificent original Far Cry. (You only got warned when you went too far off a map. 'Boat' for instance is great to play starting at the last island, etc.)

Though I did enjoy the crocs that would eat you in rivers early on in FC 3.

$10-15 is too much for FC 3.

Blood dragon was weird enough to be fun

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 pm

sweet, can't wait.

i'm really enjoying FC3 at the moment.

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:34 pm

SoM wrote:
sweet, can't wait.

i'm really enjoying FC3 at the moment.

The hunting side missions are pretty cool...and flying the glider!
Sam

Pettytheft
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:38 pm

FarCry 3 was successful. Therefore FarCry 4 is confirmed.

marraco
Gerbil

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:46 am

Half Life 4 confirmed!!!!

But not HL3. It sold not a cent. It would be declared national treasury, and sent to the museum of neverware.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:07 am

I have to be honest that I loved Far Cry 2 but was not crazy about Far Cry 3. I haven't even felt compelled to finish it. This has certainly put a damper on any real enthusiam that I might otherwise have had for a 4th game in the series.

greenmystik
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:33 am

Never got the chance to play Far Cry 2 but thoroughly enjoyed part 3. Wasn't too big of a fan of Blood Dragon though. It was ok for the first hour or so, after that it became way to repetitive. Has their been any new info on part 4 yet?
If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, then why practice?

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:20 pm

greenmystik wrote:
Never got the chance to play Far Cry 2 but thoroughly enjoyed part 3. Wasn't too big of a fan of Blood Dragon though. It was ok for the first hour or so, after that it became way to repetitive. Has their been any new info on part 4 yet?

Not that I know of. But here are some links confirming it's in the works:

http://kotaku.com/far-cry-4-is-coming-w ... -791412783
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/15/ubiso ... n-its-way/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5O3LLgwkVU (video: Far Cry 4 Confirmed)
Sam

orik
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:15 pm

As long as this means we get a Far Cry 4 Blood Dragon 2.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 pm

BIF wrote:

I only get 5-10 hours into FC2, but I don't remember having to save or avenge a girl. Did I miss it or is it just a FC1 and FC3 thing?

To be honest, the games are all fairly different. FC2 has almost nothing in common with FC1, almost as though two completely different studios made the two games. FC3 seems more similar to FC1, but much more trippy than FC1, which I believe was supposed to be straight-faced.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:51 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
BIF wrote:

I only get 5-10 hours into FC2, but I don't remember having to save or avenge a girl. Did I miss it or is it just a FC1 and FC3 thing?

To be honest, the games are all fairly different. FC2 has almost nothing in common with FC1, almost as though two completely different studios made the two games. FC3 seems more similar to FC1, but much more trippy than FC1, which I believe was supposed to be straight-faced.

I feel about the same as you. I liked FC1 and really liked FC3 (I suggest you try it, I'm pretty sure the first intro/cinematic video will get your attention... :wink: )
Just keep in mind it's a sandbox FPS.
Sam

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Earlier this year I was feeling a little nostalgic, so I dug through an old box of PC games knowing that the original Far Cry was in there. I soon found and installed it, then patched it to the newest version and gave it a shot. It's still just as hard of a game as I remember and didn't grab me the way it did when I first played it several years ago, but it looks great for a game of that era. Chances are I probably won't bother with it again but who knows? I noticed that both Far Cry 1 and 2 are offered by the Good Old Games website. Would be great if they could get the original Crysis on there! Far Cry 2, of course, is a much different experience than the first game.

Maybe I need to approach Far Cry 3 with a fresh mind and start over.

BehemothJackal
Gerbil

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:33 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
FC2 has almost nothing in common with FC1, almost as though two completely different studios made the two games.

That's because it was made by two different studios.

FarCry 1 - Crytek (published by Ubi)
FarCry 2, 3 - Ubisoft

They owned the trademark so Crytek went on to make Crysis. The engines are different too since FarCry 1 uses CryEngine and 2, 3 use Dunia, Ubisoft's proprietary engine.