Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

confusedpenguin
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Going batty

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Ben Affleck as Batman? Maybe it will be like a teen spoof and they can call it, "Not Another Batman Movie!".

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/08/22/ben-affleck-will-play-batman-in-new-movie/?intcmp=features

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Going batty

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:14 am

This makes me sad. After the Christian Bale Batman, I really hoped they would just end it on a high note. You made an amazing series, now just end it and let everybody relish this. But nooooooooooooooo........this is Hollywood where they have to run everything into the ground.

And unlike the Marvel universe where everything is fitting together, isn't the Christian Bale batman bankrupt and living in Paris?
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:24 am

They should've selected Tom Cruise instead :-?
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
this is Hollywood where they have to run everything into the ground.

Not even close. After it is in the ground, they just "reboot" and then run that again into the ground. Rinse and repeat. :lol:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:41 am

Yum. He's hunky at least :D
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

superjawes

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 am

Heath Ledger was initially rejected as the Joker...just sayin'.

Unfortunately, I have not seen Afleck's more recent stuff (like Argo), so I can't really judge his range like I could with the Green Lantern movie. I think everyone knew that Green Lantern was Ryan Reynolds and not Hal Jordan...

On to the reboot subject, though, this was inevitable. The Nolanverse Batman is incompatible with super-powered aliens. Christian Bale theoretically could reprise the role, but I think a new face probably makes more sense.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:13 am

I was excited for a Worlds Finest movie. Now I have no desire to see the movie. What a terrible casting choice.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 am

I'm not a huge Ben Affleck fan, but if you get a chance to see the UNCUT version of Daredevil, you might respect him a bit more for a superhero movie. That movie was crapified by the producers and they dropped an entire subplot and threw in the whole romance part. It was sad watching the writer/director almost at tears talking about how the movie could have been good if he was allowed to make it as written. That's probably when Jon Favreau decided to produce Iron Man himself so he could make a movie not hobbled by people fronting the money. I know x-men was the first of the recent crop of decent superhero movies but I think the uncut Daredevil could have been the first with actual depth.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:51 am

Here's a news article that has compiled some pretty funny tweets from celebrities about the news:
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/08/23/you-like-apples-riddl-ah-twitters-best-reactions-to-the-news-that-ben-affleck-will-play-batman/

I love this one:
In the new Ben Affleck version, the Batmobile is just a beige Prius.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 am

It is not like everyday one person can cause the internet to "explode":

The Internet Exploded After Learning Ben Affleck Is Playing The Next Batman

I guess we have Ben and Steve to thank for today's explosions.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:02 am

I stopped reading the linked article at "(Affleck) has the acting chops..."

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
This makes me sad. After the Christian Bale Batman, I really hoped they would just end it on a high note. You made an amazing series, now just end it and let everybody relish this. But nooooooooooooooo........this is Hollywood where they have to run everything into the ground.

And unlike the Marvel universe where everything is fitting together, isn't the Christian Bale batman bankrupt and living in Paris?

I thought he was in Ibiza, and yeah, he probably still had <i>some</i> money. I still agree completely with your sentiments. Just like they rebooted Spiderman too fast, now this. Disgusting.

superjawes

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:

I thought he was in Ibiza, and yeah, he probably still had <i>some</i> money. I still agree completely with your sentiments. Just like they rebooted Spiderman too fast, now this. Disgusting.

While I agree that Spider-Man got a quick turnaround, they did a very different Spider-Man movie with Amazing.

As for Batman, keep in mind that Man of Steel and Dark Knight are not the same universe. Well they could be, but that's not likely since Nolan went for a very realistic take on Batman. If there was any chance of seeing Batman and Superman on the same screen, you need a new Batman, and a good way to do that is to replace the actor.

The other thing going on here is the chance at a Justice League movie...it's still a looooong way off considering that Affleck makes two roles cast (assuming Reynolds gets replaced as Green Lantern), but if WB wants any chance of pulling that project off and have the same level of success as The Avengers, they must reboot Batman.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

cubical10
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:49 am

I get the impression that this movie will be based around the new Superman Unchained series.
Or maybe I am hoping it is...
Just need to cast a quality Lex Luthor.

As for Affleck, no one was too thrilled when Michael Keaton was first announced as Tim Burton's Batman, but that turned out a lot better than expected.
Cubical 10
I only know enough to be dangerous.

Do ubuntu? pfsense

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:38 am

cubical10 wrote:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/24/bryan-cra ... l-3936111/
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:44 am

Just sayin...
Last edited by Pville_Piper on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:47 am

superjawes wrote:

Ummm... ya..... he was OK but Jack Nicholson was the one that knocked that role out of the park.

superjawes

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:39 am

Deanjo wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Ummm... ya..... he was OK but Jack Nicholson was the one that knocked that role out of the park.

My order is Mark Hamill > Heath Ledger > Jack Nicholson.

That's not even saying Jack Nicholson was bad. He was great, but I still feel like A) Heath Ledger was a great Joker, and B) he was a perfect joker for the Nolanverse Batman. The real test of whether or not Affleck will work comes down to Affleck's range. Many people knew Ryan Reynolds would make a poor Hal Jordan because Ryan Reynolds has an overriding personality. If nothing else, I think Affleck has a greater range than Reynolds...

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:07 pm

My order would be Jack > Cesar > Heath. Mark is a great voice but I can't really consider his voice over as someone who played the Joker.

Can't say I was a fan of the latest Batman trilogy.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:06 pm

I really like Jack Nicholson but Heath owns the Joker. Very few movie characters actually frighten me, he came real close.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:07 pm

This franchise has endured Val Kilmer and George Clooney as Batman, so I'm not concerned about Ben AFLAC as Batman.

I will agree that Heath Ledger was awesome.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

annabel

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:54 pm

JohnC wrote:
cubical10 wrote:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/24/bryan-cra ... l-3936111/

I'm liking him as Lex!
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:22 pm

I'd have preferred Michael Rosenbaum.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:38 pm

If Cranston brings 10% of Walter White's menace to Luthor it'll be a vast improvement over Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

annabel

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:48 pm

I've hugged Michael Rosenbaum.