Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Ratchet
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Bias

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:55 am

After last June's announcement about AMD and EA parterning up got such a scathing article from Cyril, I sort of expected the same thing when a similar deal was announced between Ubi and NVIDIA. I waited a few days for it, but it never came. I made a few comments in the AMD/EA article that Cyril's bias seemed to be showing (considering the TWIMTBP program has never received a like article from Tech Report), now without a followup article to at least discuss the NVIDIA/Ubi deal (even when the deal seems more malicious than the AMD/EA one), the bias here toward NVIDIA seems downright irrefutable.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Bias

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 am

You be crazy, mon!
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:13 am

Ratchet wrote:
After last June's announcement about AMD and EA parterning up got such a scathing article from Cyril, I sort of expected the same thing when a similar deal was announced between Ubi and NVIDIA. I waited a few days for it, but it never came...

Yeah, but EA is evil. Or more evil than everybody else. Yet you talk about them like they're "the same" as everybody else as if you are "unbiased." I can't blame Cyril or anybody for being biased against evil.

So I must ask you, in your effort to portray yourself as unbiased, are you really taking evil's side?

Saber Cherry
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:34 am

BIF wrote:
Yeah, but EA is evil. Or more evil than everybody else. Yet you talk about them like they're "the same" as everybody else as if you are "unbiased." I can't blame Cyril or anybody for being biased against evil.

So I must ask you, in your effort to portray yourself as unbiased, are you really taking evil's side?

That was rather funny.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:40 pm

I'd say that was indeed more of a shot against EA than one against AMD. Though last I checked Ubi was almost as bad, they're just feeling conflicted about it so whether you get screwed by them or not depends on what day of the week it is. So I'm all for evening the playing field.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 pm

BIF wrote:

Ubisoft has been just as bad as EA in terms of DRM. Ubi used SecuROM for a long time and was one of the most aggressive with trying to implement limited game activations. UPlay is awful. Really, the only positive I give Ubi over EA is that Ubi producers a few more original games but not by much.

Cyril
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Oh, jeez.

Scott had me working on another, non-editorial project last week, and I simply didn't see the Nvidia/Ubi story. If I had seen it (or if someone had e-mailed it in), I or another TR editor probably would have written it up.

Would we have used the same tone as in the EA story? Probably not. In that story, which has since been refuted, IGN asserted that Nvidia wouldn't get a chance to "develop and distribute updated drivers" until after the release of each game covered under the alleged AMD-EA partnership. That would have been an unusual clause for a partnership between a GPU vendor and game publisher, and it would have been bad for the PC as a gaming platform. It would have potentially forced a broad swath of the PC gaming population to wait days, perhaps weeks after a game's release before getting a smooth, bug-free experience.

The Nvidia-Ubisoft partnership announcement is different. Nothing in it mentions any such clause, and as far as I'm aware, Nvidia's TWIMTBP program in general doesn't bar AMD from accessing pre-release game code or optimizing drivers ahead of time. Many games join the TWIMTBP program each year, just like many games join the AMD Gaming Evolved program each year. In the vast, vast majority of cases, all that means is an extra logo in the intro sequence and some vendor-specific bells and whistles, like PhysX, being added to the mix. There has been occasional foul play, but nothing on the scale of what IGN claimed in its June story.

These are very different stories that each warrant a very different response. The fact that we didn't cover the Nvidia-Ubisoft announcement may speak to our limited resources as a publication, but it's absolutely not an indicator of underlying bias.

windwalker
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Cyril wrote:
Oh, jeez.

Hear, hear!

Of all the crazy flame wars that users of this site indulge in, the ATI/nvidia fanboy battles are by far the most ridiculous.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:36 pm

windwalker wrote:
Of all the crazy flame wars that users of this site indulge in, the ATI/nvidia fanboy battles are by far the most ridiculous.

vi sends its regards :)

Saber Cherry
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:41 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
windwalker wrote:

vi sends its regards :)

vi has been Eclipsed:)