Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: dymt reloaded

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
...Judges need to be able to recognize and diagnose off flavors and out-of-style beers...

Okay, you're pulling our leg now, I'm sure of it. How does a beer go "out of style," hmmmmm?

BIF

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:04 pm

I saw Batgirl in the grocery store this week. Seriously, cape and all!

But she really let herself go; I know there's no way this one could have swung from buildingtops. But she could have sat on the Joker and crushed his chest cavity...

Unfortunately no pics; she would have clobbered me for sure! :o

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:55 am

BIF wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
...Judges need to be able to recognize and diagnose off flavors and out-of-style beers...

Okay, you're pulling our leg now, I'm sure of it. How does a beer go "out of style," hmmmmm?

As in, it is not the style of beer the brewer claims it is.

You can brew the best Pale Ale ever. But if you enter it in a competition as a Stout, it isn't going to score well. That's an extreme example; it can also be more subtle. For example, IPAs are subdivided into English, American, and Imperial sub-styles, which differ in the type and amount of hops used, and alcoholic strength. A good judge can tell the difference by taste.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BIF

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Okay, I'll give you that. But why wouldn't that just be called "mis-categorized" beer?

I mean, "out of style beer" just sounds so...judgmental! :-?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:12 pm

BIF wrote:
Okay, I'll give you that. But why wouldn't that just be called "mis-categorized" beer?

I mean, "out of style beer" just sounds so...judgmental! :-?

Beer judges are *supposed* to be judgmental, it's built right into the title! :lol:

Whatever you call it, *somebody* screwed up. And yeah, while well-managed competitions strive to run a tight ship, it isn't always the entrant's fault. Sometimes the people checking in the entries -- who are responsible for sorting them by category and assigning an anonymized entry number to each one -- make mistakes too.

BIF

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:16 am

So you're saying, with judges, entrants, scoring, categorizing, and all this trouble you go to, it's ... well it's like a "sport".

Man, I've been missing out! 8)

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 am

BIF wrote:
So you're saying, with judges, entrants, scoring, categorizing, and all this trouble you go to, it's ... well it's like a "sport".

Man, I've been missing out! 8)

Yeah, there's effectively a "competitive brewing" sub-culture within the homebrewing community. About 10 years ago I was more into that side of things, brewing up lots of small batches to try out different ingredients and techniques, and shotgunning homebrew competitions with entries. I don't do that any more, though I do still submit an entry or two now and then, judge in a couple of competitions a year, and help run one of the big local competitions.

Beer judging also has a ranking system (Apprentice, Recognized, Certified, National, Master, Grand Master, Grand Master Level II, etc.). Rank is based on a combination of judge certification exam scores (both written and tasting), and experience points (how many competitions have you judged in or helped organize). As of this year I've got enough experience points to "level up" from National to Master, but I'm currently ineligible because my exam scores aren't high enough. Other judges I know keep pestering me to re-take the exams, but there are a limited number of slots available and I'd rather not take up a slot that could be used by someone else who is just entering the program.

annabel

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Went to a beer festival last weekend. Tried all these crazy craft beers that had hot pokers in them and all sorts, you would have been proud JBI. I tried 48 different kinds!
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Hmm... 48 different kinds of beer? Are you sure you're *really* having earthquakes down there? :D

annabel

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Watch it monkey! I have a wee stamp in my book for each one I tried! It was only 100ml of each one though :)
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Well, Opera finally pissed me off enough that after 12 years, I think I've just switched to Firefox.

Sick of horrible JavaScript performance (when websites are downright sluggish when I throw 2.3 GHz of Ivy Bridge at the problem, there's a problem), poor support for modern web standards that a lot of websites use, and the OS X version crashing every hour or more, and in an annoying way. (Leaves a non-responding process around, spawns a new process, and anything in OS X that tries to open the default browser fails because it tries to send it to the dead process.)

And then there's Opera 15, which somehow manages to be a worse Opera replacement than Chrome, which it's based on.

And, Firefox can be customized enough that I can get it to cooperate with my browsing habits (unlike Chrome), with only one extension (which I shall not discuss here, other than to note that it's disabled here).

annabel

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am

Sup cheese loving gerbils. What cheese should I have with my fig and tamarind paste? I always just end up having Brie

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:03 am

Stilton sounds good to me. Or maybe a sharp, aged Gouda.

Changing the subject (to beer, what else?): Tomorrow is the Midwest Brewers Fest. I will be working in the homebrew pavillion, giving a brewing demonstration. It's a family thing for us -- my wife, daughter, son-in-law, and I are the brewing demo team. :D

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:44 pm

The brewing demos went well. And we get 10 gallons of (nearly) free beer out of the deal -- the sponsor of the homebrew pavillion provided the ingredients, the fest provided ice to chill the wort after the boil, and we get to take the finished wort home and ferment it. All we had to pay for ourselves was the propane to run the burners.

Unlike in past years, there was running water (in the form of a garden hose) available at the demo site; this made cleanup easier. Really glad we didn't have to take all of our sticky, crusty equipment home and clean it later like we did last year!

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:18 pm

From the "crazy things discovered while on a Wikipedia tangent" file: chlorine trifluoride. It's not every day you read about a compound which "ignites glass on contact". :o

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:27 pm

just brew it! wrote:
From the "crazy things discovered while on a Wikipedia tangent" file: chlorine trifluoride. It's not every day you read about a compound which "ignites glass on contact". :o

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... s_time.php

I have the book mentioned in the post. The money quote:

Ignition! wrote:
It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

The rest of his "things I won't work with" posts are always amusing and eye-opening.

Another slice of Ignition! to get some insight on the writing style:

Ignition! wrote:
It happened at their Shreveport, Louisiana, installation, while they were preparing to ship out, for the first time, a one-ton steel cylinder of CTF. The cylinder had been cooled with dry ice to make it easier to load the material into it, and the cold had apparently embrittled the steel. For as they were maneuvering the cylinder onto a dolly, it split and dumped one ton of chlorine trifluoride onto the floor. It chewed its way through twelve inches of concrete and dug a threefoot hole in the gravel underneath, filled the place with fumes which corroded everything in sight, and, in general, made one hell of a mess. Civil Defense turned out, and started to evacuate the neighborhood, and to put it mildly, there was quite a brouhaha before things quieted down. Miraculously, nobody was killed, but there was one casualty — the man who had been steadying the cylinder when it split. He was found some five hundred feet away, where he had reached Mach 2 and was still picking up speed when he was stopped by a heart attack.

EDIT: Even better, a follow-up post in Derek Lowe's "Things I Won't Work With" category complete with a video from some intrepid French laboratory destroyers using ClF3.

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... ndings.php
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:31 am

My mouse is dying; the track wheel is working erratically, the left button is kind of mushing rather than clicking, and something managed to chew a bit of the right handle off. So I went to Target and Best Buy to look for mice yesterday.

WTF? 2 wired mice available and they were both the ultra cheap crappy store brand. Whatever happened? I've got one from Amazon coming in now.

Also, Oh man, they have done horrible things to the PC selection at Best Buy.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:49 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
My mouse is dying; the track wheel is working erratically, the left button is kind of mushing rather than clicking, and something managed to chew a bit of the right handle off. So I went to Target and Best Buy to look for mice yesterday.

WTF? 2 wired mice available and they were both the ultra cheap crappy store brand. Whatever happened? I've got one from Amazon coming in now.

Apparently nobody buys decent wired mice any more. I had a similar experience at Staples recently; fortunately "crappy store brand" was adequate for the intended use (wife wanted a basic corded mouse to use with her laptop at a training she was attending).

paulWTAMU wrote:

Best Buy has been basically worthless for computer stuff for several years now. IIRC the only computer gear I've bought there in the past ~5 years was a pair of hard drives at the height of the hard drive shortage (Thailand floods). It took Best Buy a long time to adjust their pricing to reflect market conditions, so they were still selling drives at pre-flood prices for several weeks.

Pretty much the only thing Best Buy is any good for these days is kitchen appliances. Need a new Kitchenaid mixer? They've got those in all the colors! :D

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:56 am

just brew it! wrote:
Apparently nobody buys decent wired mice any more. I had a similar experience at Staples recently; fortunately "crappy store brand" was adequate for the intended use (wife wanted a basic corded mouse to use with her laptop at a training she was attending).

Best Buy has been basically worthless for computer stuff for several years now. IIRC the only computer gear I've bought there in the past ~5 years was a pair of hard drives at the height of the hard drive shortage (Thailand floods). It took Best Buy a long time to adjust their pricing to reflect market conditions, so they were still selling drives at pre-flood prices for several weeks.

Pretty much the only thing Best Buy is any good for these days is kitchen appliances. Need a new Kitchenaid mixer? They've got those in all the colors! :D

I still buy nice, wired mice. I just know it's not even worth it go to go a B/M store for them. Even Microcenter doesn't have anything worth a damn.

Just don't shop at BestBuy people. Chances are there is a store with something similar, and at a better price close by. Or the internet.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I bought the Anker gaming mouse from amazon after my RAT Cyborg crapped the bed after just a little over a year. The Anket was $40, feels fantastic in hand, has all the bells and whistles I want, and I feel like it's a very high quality device. The software for it is nice too. Lots of easy to record macros, buttons, even change the light color with it. I really like this mouse.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:53 am

I just bought a Logitech M500 for 25 on Amazon. I only replace mice every 4-5 years when they finally wear out.

I hadn't been in a Best Buy for a long while now, was surprised at how bad the PC stuff was. Almost no components, etc.
Actually the last purchase I made there was our fridge :lol:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm

How about a Logitech G400 or G500 or a Razer Imperator?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:45 am

Imperators are more than I want to spend on a mouse and I've heard highly mixed reviews on Razer's quality. I've tried the G500 in the past and didn't care for how it felt in my hand.

superjawes

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
Epic XKCD...

I posted about this a few months ago, and it's still going. XKCD #1190 has been changing every hour, on the hour (every half-hour initially), since late March.

This site lets you watch the entire sequence -- with pause/forward/back capability -- in its entirety.

Note: The current frame, as of 9:47 CDT, is all black... a "fade to black" between scenes of sorts. You can hit the second link above and use the left-arrow key to move back through the last few hours/days worth of frames (it wraps around) if you want to get a feel for the recent history... or just let the aubronwood site load and free-run to get the whole sequence from the start.

Well, after more than three thousand frames, it's finally over. There is now a blag post about it, explaining exactly what was going on in the comic and some history on how much work went into it.

If you want to see the entire sequence, the geekwagon viewer is probably the best I've seen, as you can not only set the frame rate, but set pauses on "special" frames (all dialog is considered special). That's in addition to being able to manually switch between frames.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Sex offender moved into the neighborhood. Aggravated sexual assault on a 7 year old.

bleeeeeeeeeech. He and are going to have a talk about what exactly I'm going to feed him to if I see him near my kid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:09 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
bleeeeeeeeeech. He and are going to have a talk about what exactly I'm going to feed him to if I see him near my kid.

Bad idea, as it makes you the aggressor and establishes probable cause against you should anything happen. Just 100% ignore him as much as possible.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:12 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Sex offender moved into the neighborhood. Aggravated sexual assault on a 7 year old.

Yeah, it's pretty much automatic jail time where I live if you use the sex offender registry to harass a sex offender who has been granted parole or server his/her time.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Pretty much blowing off steam. I mean, we all hear about people on the registries for stuff like public urination and crap like that, but UGH, aggravated sexual assault of a minor and you're out after apparently 1-2 years?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:58 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Pretty much blowing off steam. I mean, we all hear about people on the registries for stuff like public urination and crap like that, but UGH, aggravated sexual assault of a minor and you're out after apparently 1-2 years?

Fully understood. Probably best to take followups to R&P 'cause this discussion is sure to get there anyways.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:06 am

There's a bunch of apartments a block down the road from me and when you pull up the sheriffs site, they're awash in sex offenders. One of them walks his dog past my house. So far, none of them have done anything. And a guy I went to high school with is on there because he got busted mooning cars when he was 17.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!