Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Geo2160
Gerbil
Topic Author

In search of a good mousepad

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 am

I'm currently using a SS Sensei on a Func 1030L, but the fine surface scratches very easily and the rough one causes weird issues to the sensor since I use very high dpi (4k dpi usually) and cloth pads aren't really my cup of tea any more.

I heard the 4HD would be an ideal choice. Can anyone provide some feedback? Again, I can't stress this enough: very high sensitivity.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong section, I have no idea where it would fit better elsewhere

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: In search of a good mousepad

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:32 am

Can you elaborate on why cloth pads "aren't your cup of tea"? I agree that they tend to have a bit too much friction if used by themselves; but IMO cloth pad + Teflon tape on the mouse feet is just about perfect!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 am

http://faq.steelseries.com/questions/30 ... +Sensei%3F

Personally I do not have this mouse - I use Logitech's MX518 and this mousepad:
http://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-Alumic-Dou ... t+mousepad
It's a sheet of aluminum coated with plastic on both sides. For my mouse it fits very well, plus it is large enough and easy to wash. Not sure how it works with other mice, though.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am

One of the guys I play cards with actually uses a Tablet screen protector slapped onto his desk as a mouse pad. That's something you may want to consider. He seems to like it over his older cloth Razer branded pad.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Geo2160
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 am

@jbi!: Well, since I started using the 1030l, I noticed that twitch moves are much easier to do than on a standard cloth pad, which is ideal for my grip/scenario. However, if all the hard pads scratch as easily as the 1030L I think I'll have no choice but to get a nice cloth pad.

@JohnC: The Alumic certainly looks nice, but it's ~70$ in my country. I don't think I want to spend that much again on a mousepad.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 am

That's a pretty steep price increase... Just try whatever that is locally available and make sure to purchase it at a place which can accept returns (if possible) in case you or your vermin won't like it :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:12 am

I use the SteelSeries 9HD. I LOVE it. I use it with a R.A.T. 9.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I used a razer exact-mat - speed side for a few good years until I got my current mousepad which is the razer scarab - battlefield 3 themed edition. It's actually lying on top of the exactmat because I like the rigidity of it. Works just dandy with my RAT 7.

Geo2160
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Unfortunately the Scarab is EOL if I remember correctly. What's the succesor?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Aphasia wrote:
I used a razer exact-mat - speed side for a few good years until I got my current mousepad which is the razer scarab - battlefield 3 themed edition. It's actually lying on top of the exactmat because I like the rigidity of it. Works just dandy with my RAT 7.

I have one of these- and I love it. I also have a smaller Rocketfish Best Buy-special that near exactly emulates it, and that was pretty cheap. I use the Razor pad with a Steelseries Sensei, and the smaller one with a G500, which travels with my mobile gaming workstation. Both work very, very well with the gaming mice.