Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Radeon 7850 DisplayPort Audio not working?

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:39 pm

It seems my DisplayPort audio only worked on the first day with my ASUS VG248QE.

Catalyst Control Center once showed a monitor available with sound, and now it doesn't.

- I have reinstalled the CCC drivers.
- I've restarted aplenty.
- I've tried restarting with external speakers unplugged.
- I've tried hot-unplugging/replugging the DisplayPort cable to the monitor.

Are there known issues with DisplayPort audio not working? This is the cable I have: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H3Q59U

There are no other cables plugging into my Radeon HD 7850, which is the ASUS DirectCU II revision 2 model 7850 2GB.

I will try later to see if HDMI audio works, but I don't have an available HDMI cable right now. Asus support isn't available until Monday.

Has anyone got any experience with this?

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Radeon 7850 DisplayPort Audio not working?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 pm

I finally found the issue after being onto ASUS chat twice and getting nowhere with them. When ASUS fails, Google prevails:

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... 832#pid832

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Radeon 7850 DisplayPort Audio not working?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Yes, I hadn't realized that Lightboost was the cause, but after hours of searching online and with ASUS support I started to look for ways to uninstall Lightboost (just to see if doing so would solve the issue, but I had no intention of keeping it uninstalled because it's awesome). In my quest to uninstall it, I happened to search their forum for the word "audio" and came across that post which showed me that I wasn't the only one.

I currently have my speakers hooked up to my monitor port with Lightboost turned on and with no issues other than it being quieter than my motherboard audio. But my motherboard is old and I wanted the enhanced audio experience that my graphics card can provide.