Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

revparadigm
Gerbil

Re: Yet Another Music Thread: Deep Cuts

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
revparadigm wrote:
King's X back in the 90s was such sweet ear candy to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VsMeDzCTGg

Hmm... I've got most of their albums but seem to have skipped that one. Maybe it was out of print for a while? I need to remedy that.

Faith Hope Love by King's X is a MUST for fans. It was their most successful effort commercial wise and also garnered Rolling Stone's "heavy metal" band of the year 1990. Lol like King's X is heavy metal...not. Rockin' but not classic metal.

Another classic off that disc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4gI--41Odg

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:34 pm

revparadigm wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Hmm... I've got most of their albums but seem to have skipped that one. Maybe it was out of print for a while? I need to remedy that.

Faith Hope Love by King's X is a MUST for fans. It was their most successful effort commercial wise and also garnered Rolling Stone's "heavy metal" band of the year 1990. Lol like King's X is heavy metal...not. Rockin' but not classic metal.

Some of their later stuff (e.g. Tape Head) rocks pretty hard. Still not heavy metal, I agree... but IMO they do flirt with the prog metal genre.

One of my favorites from Tape Head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSjr4ovJGvg

I've always liked their Gretchen Goes To Nebraska album too...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

revparadigm
Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Gretchen was down right magical...my favorite of theirs. Back in the day during that tour, me and a friend had tickets to see them. The day of the show I lost my wallet with my ticket inside :( He said that show was nothing like he had ever seen up to that point with a live band. But I got to see them live on their faith,hope,love tour...which was simply amazing. Seen them 7 times in concert since.

JiveMiguel
Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:41 pm

My 2 cents:

Whaler - by Montrose on Warner Brothers Presents...Montrose!
Muches Veces - by Clutch on The Elephant Riders (I don't know if any other Clutch songs feature horns?)
It's Only Love - by ZZ Top on Tejas
Heaven Hell or Houston - by ZZ Top on El Loco
Found a Job - by Talking Heads on More Songs About Buildings and Food (I like the live version on Stop Making Sense)
Clear Night Moonlight - by Golden Earring on The Continuing Story of Radar Love (also the shortest song on that album I believe)
Estimated Prophet - by Grateful Dead on Terrapin Station (Terrapin Station Part 1 is also a jam if you don't let the length scare you).

But now I'm going to have to go through my collection and think about it a bit more...Thanks for giving me a reason to dig up some good old music.

And I also have an opinion about Blue Oyster Cult :)
How about Take Me Away on The Revolution By Night? I think that was the first BOC song I heard.
Cultosaurus Erectus is a great gateway album for anyone who doesn't know BOC

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:07 am

JiveMiguel wrote:
And I also have an opinion about Blue Oyster Cult :)
How about Take Me Away on The Revolution By Night? I think that was the first BOC song I heard.
Cultosaurus Erectus is a great gateway album for anyone who doesn't know BOC

Take Me Away is a really good song, but somehow doesn't sound like BOC to me. Maybe because Aldo Nova co-wrote and plays guitar on it. Cultosaurus has one of my favorite BOC tracks on it (Lips In The Hills). I think Fire of Unknown Origin may be a better intro for BOC newbies though; it has a similar feel to Cultosaurus, but IMO is more consistent. Their last two albums have a few overlooked gems on them as well -- See You In Black and Harvest Moon from Heaven Forbid, and Dance On Stilts from Curse of the Hidden Mirror come to mind.

Taking a sharp left turn into pop-rock/adult-alternative territory, Sunday Morning Yellow Sky by October Project (from their Falling Farther In album) is an incredible song; IMO it sums up in 5 minutes what made October Project so great. Nothing any of them have done since splitting up in 1996 has come close to the greatness of Falling Farther In, with the possible exception of former lead singer Mary Fahl's Pink Floyd tribute From The Dark Side of the Moon. (Fahl's other solo project The Other Side Of Time was entirely forgettable though... a real snooze fest IMO.)

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I've always been quite fond of Sound Chaser (from Relayer),

Captain Ned wrote:
And yes, Sound Chaser has also been a long-term fave.

Ever heard the album The Road Home by Jordan Rudess (keyboard player from Dream Theater)? It's an album of '70s prog rock covers; decent versions of Sound Chaser and Dance on a Volcano.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Ever heard the album The Road Home by Jordan Rudess (keyboard player from Dream Theater)? It's an album of '70s prog rock covers; decent versions of Sound Chaser and Dance on a Volcano.

Anyone who can make sense of Tarkus is worthy of investigation. This may end up as another DK purchase.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:30 am

Speaking of prog rock deep cuts (and covers thereof (and Dream Theater!))... "Lark's Tongues in Aspic Part 2" by King Crimson is a great one. Dream Theater does a cover version of it on their Black Clouds and Silver Linings (Uncovered) disc; DT even got Jerry Goodman (best known for his stint in the '70s with Mahavishnu Orchestra) to guest on violin.

Edit: Black Clouds and Silver Linings (Uncovered) also includes a cover one of of my favorite Queen deep cuts, "Flick of the Wrist" (originally the B-side to "Killer Queen"). The Queen album that "Flick of the Wrist" came from (Sheer Heart Attack) also includes the most excellent deep cut "Stone Cold Crazy" (later covered by Metallica).

Captain Ned wrote:
This may end up as another DK purchase.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near that bad unless you really get sucked in and go for the DT back catalog as well. (He's on all their releases from 1999 onwards.)

Edit 2: Metallica's cover of BOC's "Astronomy" also gets an honorable mention. Jeez, threading my way through my music collection this way is almost as bad as following Wikipedia tangents! :lol:

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Dead Star by Muse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhci-MG4DNE (speaker warning :D )

It was released on a double-A side CD as the single for their Hullabaloo live album, but it didn't chart very well as it was between studio albums, and Muse didn't really hit the big time until Absolution came out, a year later. I like it because it's one of the best examples of their style from their early period, hard and fast guitars and distorted vocals. It's direct in a way that some of their later work, especially the 5 minute-plus prog rock wankery isn't. Not that that stuff is awful, in fact Knights of Cydonia is one of my favourite tracks of theirs, but it does have like 2 minutes of stuff before the actual song starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MiHQkQpF_Q

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:56 pm

I would like to add a few two the list:

"Shambala" by Beastie Boys - What a great, laid back jam track. It's completely unexpected if you think of Beastie Boys as only a hip-hop group.
"Three Days" by Jane's Addiction - 10 minutes and 46 seconds of goosebumps
Danny the Dog / Unleashed soundtrack by Massive Attack - The music fit the movie perfectly, and is a solid album in its own right
"Bleeding Me" by Metallica - Load and Reload are hated on because they weren't Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, etc. Who cares, this is a fantastic song.
"Right in Two" by Tool - 10,000 Days might not be Ænima or even Lateralus, but it is still Tool and they've yet to put out a bad album.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

vince
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Lots of great tracks mentioned here, for the ones I know hehe.

Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Toward Ecstasy (mentioned previously here) entire album is just amazing. Hold On, Good Enough... They just reach me deep. I guess that's why we call them "deep cuts".

Funny there's been mention of Blue Oyster Cult a few times. Until recently, I pretty much only knew the "known tracks" mentioned before (plus "Joan Crawford" as I just found out). But after listening to CD2 of Arjen Anthony Lucassen's latest album Welcome To The New Real, which contains 5 VERY well done covers, I fell in love with his version of Veteran of the Psychic Wars. So I went ahead and got a BOC greatest hits to explore more of their music. It contains a total of 34 tracks, and I'm enjoying what I hear.

I know I have many of those deep cut songs, I'm just not good at remembering them out the top of my head! lol I'm a big prog rock fan, mostly the "classic" type, or what came out of the late 60's and 70's. I was born in 1972, so obviously it wasn't of my time, but I became a big fan when I was 15-16 years old, when a friend gave me a tape of Foxtrot. The rest is history :wink:

So I have many deep cuts from that genre, from many of those bands. Lets see if I can remember a few.... from Rush (Xanadu, The Trees, Jacob's Ladder, Natural Science, Wich Hunt, etc), Genesis (Can Utility and the Coastliners, Blood on the Rooftops, Duchess, etc), Yes (South Side of the Sky, Mood for a Day - orchestral version from Symphonic Music of Yes, Wonderous Stories, entire Drama album :wink: , Leave It, Shoot High Aim Low, Saving My Heart, entire Talk album, etc), ELP (Bitches Crystal, Trilogy, ... ) I think I could go on and on here, simply because I like most of the albums from those famous 70's prog bands, and any track that I like a lot that wasn't one of the more popular tracks, basically becomes a deep cut. So because there are so many, in a way are they really deep cuts? I think I have to look for the ones that cut me deeper than that.

Here are three albums I'd like to mention, that are definite deep cuts for me:
- Supertramp, their first eponymous album. It sounds quite different from their later material, it sounds melancholic and sad. Pretty much an unknown album, but one I fell in love with.
- Camel, album Habour of Tears. Wow, such a sad story. Very emotional album. Reflects on the true story of Irish families parting with their young ones who left for the U.S. in search of a "better future", I think from the early 1900 period. The only thing that bugs me is the "electronic" sounding drums, which were probably programmed.
- Def Leppard's first album On Through the Night. The Leppards have had a huge influence on me as a teenager. Obviously most people who liked them knew Pyromania, Hysteria, Adrenalize, and maybe some would know High 'n Dry. But most wasn't even aware of the existence of On Through the Night, other than maybe hearing the single Hello America. Well to me, this album is just as good as the following ones (I hear influences of early Kiss and AC/DC in there), and has a special place in my heart.

(sorry for the long post...)
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

PGleo86
Gerbil

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Dream Theater's songs Peruvian Skies and Lines in the Sand from their Falling Into Infinity album are real gems, yet somehow whenever I hear about Dream theater I never hear a word about that album. Interesting... Not sure if Symphony X is that well known, but The Damnation Game, both the song and the album, are, I think, often overlooked.
ASUS Z97-A, i7 4790K @ 4.8 + Corsair H100i GTX, Fractal Design Define R5 (window, Titanium), 20GB DDR3/1600, ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!, 620W PSU, 5TB HDD, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:13 am

Thread necro!

Going through some old music today. Some additional forgotten gems:

Eagles - "Good Day In Hell", from their "On The Border" album. Some classic Eagles in "country rock" mode.
J Geils Band - "Flamethrower", from the "Freeze Frame" album. Everyone knows "Freeze Frame" and "Centerfold", but this is a great song too!
Bob Mould - "Black Sheets Of Rain", from the album of the same name. Mould is probably best known for being one of the founding members of Hüsker Dü.
Rick Wakeman - "Catherine of Aragon", from "The Six Wives of Henry VIII". Can't say that I'm much of a fan of most of his later solo projects, but this album (his first solo effort) is fantastic!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Pat Benatar, "In the Heat of the Night", on the same-named first album.

The only recording I can find of it is on that album, and one other which is a very poor quality live performance of that song; okay for watching on You-Tube, but video is very darkly lit and the audio is quite muddled.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:03 pm

JBI, "Flamethrower" was really popular when I was in college, along with "Freeze Frame". In college, we were all looking for progressive music so we played all the songs on the whole album. As a result, none of them was "obscure" in my circle at that time.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:12 pm

BIF wrote:
JBI, "Flamethrower" was really popular when I was in college, along with "Freeze Frame". In college, we were all looking for progressive music so we played all the songs on the whole album. As a result, none of them was "obscure" in my circle at that time.

That album rocketed through the dorm freshman year. Everyone had taped it from the 3-4 LPs that were running around and we all knew all the songs.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:17 pm

BIF wrote:
Pat Benatar, "In the Heat of the Night", on the same-named first album.

The only recording I can find of it is on that album, and one other which is a very poor quality live performance of that song; okay for watching on You-Tube, but video is very darkly lit and the audio is quite muddled.

Benatar's got a lot of great stuff out there, much of which is (IMO) better than the singles/videos most people are familiar with. "River Of Love" (from her "Innamorata" album), "Red Vision" (from "Seven The Hard Way"), "You and I" (from "Gravity's Rainbow"), "Wuthering Heights" (Kate Bush cover from "Crimes of Passion"), "I Want Out" (from "Get Nervous"), and her cover of the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" (on "Precious Time") are standouts. She's also done an entire album of blues tunes ("True Love") which is quite good as well. TBH the only one of her albums that I was never really able to get into was her last one, "Go". Hope she eventually does another one and returns to form.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Let's just leave "Love is a Battlefield" out of the discussion.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Let's just leave "Love is a Battlefield" out of the discussion.

Heh. Yeah, it pretty much epitomizes the "cheesy '80s video" genre. The "scare the pimp away by dancing and shaking your boobs at him" scene is classic WTF. :lol:

Yes, she's recorded some schlocky songs ("My Clone Sleeps Alone" also springs to mind). Everyone makes mistakes. Fortunately, they seem to be few and far between.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:41 pm

This is a group that I have loved since I first heard them and also believe they have never been given their proper due in the history of music.

I put them up there with the Beatles in how they make their music and make all the instruments feel a part of the song without taking over the song.

Stage Fright is one of the favorite albums and this song in particular, Time To Kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDUU7raVlYM

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:44 pm

credible wrote:
This is a group that I have loved since I first heard them and also believe they have never been given their proper due in the history of music.

Between backing Dylan (and thus creating "The Basement Tapes") and the movie "The Last Waltz" I don't think anyone will be forgetting The Band anytime soon.

Interestingly enough, for a band usually associated with "Americana"-style music, Levon Helm was the only American in The Band.