Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Comics on my ipad.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Hey guys I have an old collection of digital comics in Cbr. And CBz. Formats. They are on a sd card and I have an adapter for that to attach to my ipad. How can I view those files???

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Comics on my ipad.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:53 pm

you can open cbr files with programs like 7-zip and extract the images, worked the last few times ive tried, long ago.
usually something like .jpg files in it or something similar.
cbz might be the same, idk
probably drinking some tea.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Try the free Cloudreaders app if you have a newer iPad.

demani
Gerbil

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:25 pm

I happen to love ComicZeal and think its practically a perfect comic reader. ComicGlass is another strongly recommended app, and the two are usually regarded as top notch with people leaning for one over the other (in other words, most others aren't worth adding to the conversation). Cloudreaders is very nice, and free, but I do find that it is slower to respond for CBRs and CBZs (I think it was meant more for PDFs). And should you get your hands on the Marvel DVDs GoodReader can display those PDFs without the watermark (a feat that even Adobe Reader for iOS can't replicate).
ComicZeal is the best $5 app I've ever bought.

demani
Gerbil

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Blazex wrote:
you can open cbr files with programs like 7-zip and extract the images, worked the last few times ive tried, long ago.
usually something like .jpg files in it or something similar.
cbz might be the same, idk

Yeah, a CBR is just a Comic Book Rar, and CBZ is just a Comic Book Zip. Basically, the only thing different is the extension- just change ir to the generic type and they open the way any other archive would, and give up all the JPGs inside.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:35 pm

I used to recommend Comic Reader Mobi, but while the app still works, it's now rather difficult to use with iDevices.

You'll also need to jailbreak, extract the CBR/CBZs (messy IMO), or find another way to get those CBR/CBZ files to the reader app. Things aren't allowed to just "go look on some external storage" in Apple land.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Forge wrote:
I used to recommend Comic Reader Mobi, but while the app still works, it's now rather difficult to use with iDevices.

You'll also need to jailbreak, extract the CBR/CBZs (messy IMO), or find another way to get those CBR/CBZ files to the reader app. Things aren't allowed to just "go look on some external storage" in Apple land.

I just push all my content through Dropbox.
After it downloads the file, you go into a screen saying Dropbox can't open the file and you can click the little folder icon with an arrow coming out of it to send the file to another app. That's how i got my library of ebooks into iBooks.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 am

I didn't have a computer and trouble shooting on a I device is miserable to impossible.

I bought my first digi comic rather than my old scanned ones... What a horrible series of experiences. I first boug x force sex and violence on google play, that was a nightmare. The reader is miserable, their was a blank page in the front of the document that messed up two page viewing so you couldn't view the panoramic stuff properly.

Then I bought xforce volume one on comixology, that purchase was a nightmare!!! My iTunes account locked up, then comixology won't let me view the comic, tech support keeps telling me to restart my device, been circling the drain on this one all weekend.

Wtf, I have comics. I can place them in my file system but can't view them though at all. I tried all the recommended apps. I need to stream them from a computer but I was away from other forms of tech most of my weekend and didn't consistently have Internet.

This weekend confirmed how useless a I device really is. I'll buy a win pro surface and be done with it all.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:36 am

Such an epic fail of comics this weekend. I think I might just torrent if this is how its going to be. Atleast then I can fix broken comic files and stuff.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 am

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08/fi ... y-on-ipad/

A bit dated but maybe a starting place to look at these apps.

...and for the paid stuff too:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/ha ... ig-comics/

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:19 am

I always get annoyed when piracy yields the best results. I mean there is no pay for option that really can deliver what a few decent torrents can right now. What a sad state for the industry.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:57 am

After looking around, comixology is the best option. No one is selling DRM free copies of comic books and comixology has a GREAT reader.

EDIT: COMIXOLOGY UPDATE

I had to send them my receipt to get them to server side unlock it. But they spent 2 days of my time telling me sign out and restart its your device. This is just upsetting. :(

I've requested some form of compensation because I bought the comic to read on a vacation and now I'm off and guess what not going to read it. Wasted money... I'll update as this resolves.

EDIT: UPDATE

The guy who's been working with me, Andrew, who didn't tell me they needed a receipt till late in the game said that the reason I cannot be compensated was because I didn't send him the receipt till today. Funny thing is itunes only emailed it yesterday afternoon. Additionally I did not think forwarding the receipt was a requirement of my purchase. The time stamp on the receipt shows when I bought it... this is annoying.

To that end they haven't given me any sort of reason for what really happened or why I should expect it to not happen in an ongoing fashion. I'm not very happy right now.

EDIT: UPDATE

I had a good conversation that went like this, I basically lost 10 dollars betting on your service. Bring me to the table again give me a reason to use your service...

Andrew responded agreeing it was a miserable experience but that if I loved comics I'd love their service. Thing is I've read all the free comics and didn't enjoy a purchased product at all. I will be working with google play I think.

If you guys have looked, google play is an interesting service. While they don't work with the best form of comic file type they work with PDF comics great assuming your file is setup well. I need to see what form of DRM is on their comic files though so to see if I can purchase there too.

I'll be experimenting further but I'm pretty sold on, not loving my ipad and getting a windows or android device.

My ipad, lags, has bad battery, crashes, freezes, doesn't work with files and stuff in a way I'm happy and is overly controlling. I'm in love with the product design outside of the software but that is about it. I've been fighting with this thing for a year now and I'm done.

Onwards and upwards

gigafinger
Gerbil

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:05 pm

I've been using PerfectViewer on my Nexus 7. Great free app for comic reading.

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:42 pm

Ipad is all looks and no functionality. I don't own one but I always seem to be surrounded by them. Anytime I try to do something that is simple on a windows machine it's a huge pain on the ipad.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:38 pm

I really am genuinely sorry your experience has been lousy.

For what it's worth, experiences like yours are part of what drove me to Android.

At this point, I just keep a directory called "Comics" on my Nexus 10, with all my comics in it, plus the APK (package file) for my reader. I can flash a new rom, wipe all my installed apps, then just install that APK and pick up reading where I left off. As long as that folder and the contents are unchanged, it even remembers my last page and last comic read.

*That* is what I wanted most from my comic reading experience.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:53 pm

odizzido wrote:
Ipad is all looks and no functionality. I don't own one but I always seem to be surrounded by them. Anytime I try to do something that is simple on a windows machine it's a huge pain on the ipad.

I share this feeling. iOS has a strange allergy to locally stored content. It also has a annoying lock down on codecs for rather mundane things. ok I'm stopping there that is all I will say no more apple hate I'm sorry.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Forge wrote:
I really am genuinely sorry your experience has been lousy.

For what it's worth, experiences like yours are part of what drove me to Android.

At this point, I just keep a directory called "Comics" on my Nexus 10, with all my comics in it, plus the APK (package file) for my reader. I can flash a new rom, wipe all my installed apps, then just install that APK and pick up reading where I left off. As long as that folder and the contents are unchanged, it even remembers my last page and last comic read.

*That* is what I wanted most from my comic reading experience.

Awesome, thanks :)

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:13 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
I share this feeling. iOS has a strange allergy to locally stored content.

I don't want to turn this into an iOS/Android thread either, the internet has millions already, but this one thing I wanted to comment on. Having lived in both camps, there are pros and cons to the two philosophies. With iOS, I only had a few places to gather things up and back them up if I wanted to switch devices or wipe and reload, etc, etc. On Android it's an all day job to locate all the hidey holes and get everything packed away and backed up.

On the other hand, anything Apple didn't leave out in that main storage area, you either did a full device backup/restore or you lost all the data the app kept locally/internally.

It makes things cleaner and simpler, but takes away flexibility and tinkering, so I guess that makes perfect sense as to why Apple selected which option.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Wow. Your experience was ridiculous. It would absolutely have driven me away from Comixology as well.

Having said that, I really like Comixology and buy a fair amount of comics during their $.99 sales. For me the reading experience is superior to anything without "guided view". But that's probably because I'm usually reading on a Nexus 7. On a larger screen I can deal with "scanned pages".
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:55 pm

David wrote:
Wow. Your experience was ridiculous. It would absolutely have driven me away from Comixology as well.

Having said that, I really like Comixology and buy a fair amount of comics during their $.99 sales. For me the reading experience is superior to anything without "guided view". But that's probably because I'm usually reading on a Nexus 7. On a larger screen I can deal with "scanned pages".

What do you mean by "Guided View"?

Scanned non PDF images look like turd too much of the time. :^/

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
David wrote:

What do you mean by "Guided View"?

Scanned non PDF images look like turd too much of the time. :^/

We're getting close to Rule #1, but I'd suggest that your "turd look" has more to do with the source of the scans than the tech involved.

Guided View = instead of a page of panels, the comic presents more or less panel by panel, with some transition effects and animation.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:46 am

So right now I enjoy the viewing quality of the comixology service. Though I buy through their web portal and not iTunes because iTunes was the problem. I ultimately would rather work with owned rather than licensed material though so after my ipad gets replaced some time this fall I'll be switching to a service like one of the ones you guys are promoting above.