Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Today's iPhone 5S/5C announcement

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:32 am

Soo... Who's ready to get disappointed by ever-lasting period of stagnation at Apple? If you are - tune in to your favorite tech blog (like this http://live.theverge.com/apple-iphone-5s-liveblog/) at 1:00PM EST to see a reveal of slightly upgraded (slightly improved camera, slightly faster internals, fingerprint reader) iPhone 5 and a slightly reskinned (with few minor features) iOS 6! :wink: I know I will be watching it, from my iPad or from my MacBook.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Re: Today's iPhone 5S/5C announcement

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 am

I, too, am looking forward to previewing another gadget I likely won't buy*!

*(unless they announce the Haswell rMBPs and in that case I'll just be conflicted)

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:08 am

If Apple would make an iPhone with a bigger screen- go full retard and challenge the Note 3- along with real stylus input, >1080p calibrated screen, the absolute latest internals, an even better camera (why can't they do F/1.4 or even F/1.0 with such tiny sensors and lens elements, along with hybrid OIS and IBIS?), and an IR blaster, I think I'd be set. I actually don't care how much it weighs in the slightest. Oh, and it needs to have a sapphire screen; Gorilla Glass just isn't strong enough.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:13 am

Airmantharp wrote:
If Apple would make an iPhone with a bigger screen- go full retard and challenge the Note 3- along with real stylus input, >1080p calibrated screen, the absolute latest internals, an even better camera (why can't they do F/1.4 or even F/1.0 with such tiny sensors and lens elements, along with hybrid OIS and IBIS?), and an IR blaster, I think I'd be set. I actually don't care how much it weighs in the slightest. Oh, and it needs to have a sapphire screen; Gorilla Glass just isn't strong enough.

lol you know that's not how it works.

Even if it did, would you be willing to pay for something like that? I'd imagine a smartphone with those specs would be over the 1K USD mark without a subsidy.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:26 am

Airmantharp wrote:

I do not need bigger screen (neither do majority of smartphone users). The camera does need to catch up with latest competitors with OIS and larger sensor size or larger pixel size for it, same goes for IR blaster and a useful program guide combined with it (like my HTC One has). Same goes for wireless charging - it is hugely convenient and Apple can simply go back to glass back cover instead of thin, soft aluminum alloy junk. Same goes for their crappy iOS which at least needs a proper custom widget support and an ability to use custom launcher with custom icon packs (instead of the new awful "flat" icons in iOS7) - something I can do with my carrier-locked HTC One with its "stock" AT&T's ROM.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:33 am

I have specific uses for a larger screen- namely, I use my Note with my Canon 6D quite a bit over WiFi, and I'd use it more if the Note were more capable, especially when Canon puts out a firmware allowing RAW downloads over WiFi.

More resolution and great calibration means that it's quicker and easier to critically review shots, while a larger screen makes the setup more ergonomic. And while I agree that I'd be better off with a tablet, I'd prefer to have just one device for it all, and I don't much care who makes it, as long as it's not Samsung making the software (may they rot in hell). Even Nokia's rumored 6" 1080p WP8 phone looks interesting to me, as long as I can get the apps for it that I need. I can use anything.

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:49 am

JohnC wrote:
Soo... Who's ready to get disappointed by ever-lasting period of stagnation at Apple? If you are - tune in to your favorite tech blog (like this http://live.theverge.com/apple-iphone-5s-liveblog/) at 1:00PM EST to see a reveal of slightly upgraded (slightly improved camera, slightly faster internals, fingerprint reader) iPhone 5 and a slightly reskinned (with few minor features) iOS 6! :wink: I know I will be watching it, from my iPad or from my MacBook.

If you're disappointed, why follow the presentation and why post about it?
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:52 am

It amuses me. And gives me useful information to throw at Apple fanatics in future conversations.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 pm

"Up to 56X" graphics performance jump? 64-bit ultramobile computing? If that's stagnation it's impressive!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Well, the event is basically over, and here is a perfect summary of it:

Just as I thought - minor speed increase (LOL@"up to 56x" claim... I am sure it will matter A LOT to Twitter/Facebook/Instagram users! :roll: ), minor camera improvements (slight pixel size increase is nice, but they could do much better, such as OIS or higher res video or RAW mode or optical/"lossless software" zoom, like other competitors already have) and a gimmicky fingerprint reader (which might scare off a lot of tinfoil headwear users despite Apple's promises of "not sharing" such data with NSA). All in all they are still trying to catch up with other manufacturers.

Here's to another year of declining iOS marketshare! Yay!

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:28 pm

JohnC wrote:

they could do much better, such as OIS or higher res video or RAW mode or optical/"lossless software" zoom, like other competitors already have)

You and I both know Nokia has those patents on lockdown.
Trump 2020

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:36 pm

40X CPU and 56X graphics... well if you looked at the comparason it was the iPhone 1.

though the margin did look decent compared to teh iPhone 5.
My contract is up next year and I think I will be looking at the 5S (or possibly 6 by then)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 pm

I heard they're going to sue Samsung over the materials used to make the Galaxy S4.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Well this should give samsung and crew another year or two of things to copy from Apple.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Well this should give samsung and crew another year or two of things to copy from Apple.

Bad troll, try again.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:32 pm

The appropriate reaction by stock market:
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/st ... tory_quote

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:42 pm

JohnC wrote:
Deanjo wrote:

Bad troll, try again.

Who's trolling, with 2x the cpu performance (and being 64-bit) of the A6 and 5 times graphics performance of the A6 it is quite the accomplishment.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Not trying to diminish Apple's engineering with the A7, but you're saying Samsung is going to "copy" Apple by increasing SoC performance?

I really wish someone would get full, stock Android on retail Apple hardware. I'd buy that.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Some of my Facebook 'friends' are all over the Iphone 5s. I wonder when those Apple fanatics will snap out of it.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:00 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Not trying to diminish Apple's engineering with the A7, but you're saying Samsung is going to "copy" Apple by increasing SoC performance?

As someone said... trolling... that and 64-bits on the iPhone is kinda pointless.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:04 pm

ronch wrote:
Some of my Facebook 'friends' are all over the Iphone 5s. I wonder when those Apple fanatics will snap out of it.

If you're not close enough to them personally to ask "wtf is wrong with you?" then you guys shouldn't be friends.

BTW HTC copied Apple on the big sensor pixels on the One's camera. Another lawsuit incoming.

But hey, you and your new iPhone can wear matching Crocs. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57602 ... one-5c-5s/
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Seriously, what's with all the hate?

The fingerprint sensor looks like a pretty impressive implementation.

The camera looks to be competitive once again, until someone else leapfrogs, then they leapfrog again, rinse, repeat.

Yes, I wish the screen was bigger, but given the size it has, it's still as good a quality screen as you'll see (i.e. it's not worse than any other of the best screens out there).

The CPU/GPU advancements are impressive. Granted, 64-bit is not a big deal yet, but if you are going to embrace it as a standard technology, you have to release it to start the migration, and here it is.

Maybe you guys should have picked a different thread title if the intent was to simply unleash torrents of criticism. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a relatively compelling device.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 pm

I didn't pick the title. I'm just having fun with the announcement that everything old is new again.

The CPU/GPU advancements are secondary, honestly - you're not going to get an A7 in anything but an iPhone 5s, and you're not going to get an iPhone 5s with anything but an A7. Will it make stuff fast? Sure. So do the Snapdragon 600 and 800.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm just laughing at the 5C.

The whole concept of a "cheap" iPhone is just flamebait :P
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I'm just laughing at the 5C.

The whole concept of a "cheap" iPhone is just flamebait :P

In fairness to Apple, I think C is for Color. They colors appear to match the OS perfectly, but man. It's like Jhonny Ive hit his head and used the colors of the stars he saw for the OS.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:15 pm

JohnC wrote:
Here's to another year of declining iOS marketshare! Yay!

Marketshare in the US has been going up.

The new iPhones will drive that marketshare up.

Big push into China this year. China is a launch country. My guess is that sales for the upcoming year will be big across the board.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 pm

I can throw graphs at you too. Not sure what's the point of it, though.

End User wrote:
Big push into China this year. China is a launch country. My guess is that sales for the upcoming year will be big across the board.

:lol: You honestly believe majority of people there will prefer an "original" iPhone over much cheaper Android-powered local clone (which can be made to look and function exactly like "original" iPhone for people who prefer that)?
Last edited by JohnC on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:50 pm

I like every enhancement- but it's still missing the stuff that I personally want in a phone (phablet, really).

Particularly, the larger screen. There's a 6" screen-size hole in Apple's mobile computing lineup that needs to get filled right quick, and then there's the digitizer/stylus; they get a bigger screen, it'd better get real pen input. People just don't know how crazy useful this can be. Oh, and the IR blaster. Seriously, how can any mobile device ship without this? God I hope HTC has a One-like phablet coming with a digitizer and IR blaster, and let's Google sell it with mostly stock Android.

As for the camera, well, it looks like they took the most likely route- but they really could use some IP from CaNikony. OIS and IBIS aren't cheap, but they're stupid effective, and those companies know how to make sensors and image processing hardware and software- and they have the patents to implement that stuff in a decent smartphone (and yes, I'm excluding Sony from the list of companies that have ever produced a decent smartphone- I'll refer to The Onion's piece on them a while back).

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
God I hope HTC has a One-like phablet coming with a digitizer and IR blaster, and let's Google sell it with mostly stock Android.

Yes they do. It is called "HTC One Max". There is no planned date of release yet. It may not have IR blaster, though, at least it was not confirmed yet.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:27 pm

JohnC wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
God I hope HTC has a One-like phablet coming with a digitizer and IR blaster, and let's Google sell it with mostly stock Android.

Yes they do. It is called "HTC One Max". There is no planned date of release yet. It may not have IR blaster, though, at least it was not confirmed yet.

I'm not seeing anything about a stylus- but the HTC One is as close as anyone has gotten to checking all of my smartphone/phablet boxes so far. I've got till March, though, so I'll definitely wait and see :).