Dell is private

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Dell is private

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:42 am

Well, looks like we're a private company now. Full confirmation will take two to three days, but I'm relatively certain that the meeting would not have proceeded without a certain confidence about the vote.

Yay!
I have nothing more to say about that.
Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Re: Dell is private

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 am

Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB | 770 | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 1 TB WD Black w/ SRT
Waco
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 am

Well not really yet... not till they pay out to all the shareholders are they private.
Arvald
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:23 pm

True enough, it is not a done deal yet.

From the inside, I think that the things it takes to be astoundingly successful in the enterprise are coming together. From what I can see, Dell's portfolio is developing well; the people are setting the right goals and doing the right thing.
I have nothing more to say about that.
Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:05 pm

And so the Icahn Lift has failed.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:02 pm

hmmmmmm I wonder what all the wall street lackeys would do if every company went private and there were no stocks to buy/sell/watch?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 pm

anotherengineer wrote:hmmmmmm I wonder what all the wall street lackeys would do if every company went private and there were no stocks to buy/sell/watch?

Unpossible. Companies always need fresh capital and expecting all capital needs to be met by private subscriptions is untenable. Further down this road lies R&P.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:46 pm

anotherengineer wrote:hmmmmmm I wonder what all the wall street lackeys would do if every company went private and there were no stocks to buy/sell/watch?

It wouldn't happen. All companies need capital to grow and develop new products. The stock market provides a pretty fluid mechanism for that to happen. That does mean that shareholders are more concerned with short term goals (fiscal quarters or years) than long-term strategies, but it's really up to management to decide what is in the best interest of the company.

That is why I personally am very curious to see what Dell does with this. I'm guessing that we'll really see the effects of going private in a couple of years if and when new products are released.
Save yourself the trouble and don't ask why the TV remote is in the refrigerator.
superjawes
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:40 pm

They will probably end up like Seagate. Go private for a few years and then turn around and become public again.
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class

Return to The Back Porch