Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Mich24
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

PC magazines suggestions?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:14 am

Hello everybody,

Do you have any suggestion for a printed tech-magazine (without too much "blabla" inside)?

Thx

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: PC magazines suggestions?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:20 am

PC Magazine and PC World have been around forever, so you can check those out. Why do you want a print magazine, though? You can get any info online much faster and from more sources for free instead of paying for an outdated print magazine.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Mich24
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:26 am

I know the two magazine, but there is too much "blabla" inside. I search something for power users, such as the articles here on tech report.
I find a printed magazine still much better to carry with on the way to/from wo...rk

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:27 am

I assume you need magazines for your organization's periodicals section or library? I stopped reading PC Magazine and other computer magazines when the Internet started to pick up. First it was Tom's Hardware when it was still being run by Tom Pabst (it kinda sucks now... it's what you might call "commercialized"). Then Anandtech, Aceshardware, AGNhardware, Tech Report, Fudzilla, etc. No reason to buy print magazines these days unless it's for a library. Besides, they're a waste of paper because publishers print the whole magazine and readers aren't gonna read the entire thing anyway, so even 'useless' articles get printed, which I can't say are just a few because the magazine company needs to at least fill it with enough articles to justify the price. Kinda like a CD where artists include only a couple of hits and the rest are 'fillers'. With the Internet, at least everything is electronic. Sure, you might say that the website may waste electricity and man-hours writing articles people don't read anyway, but at least they don't occupy lots of space like most magazines do and we don't cut down trees for each view of the article. (There may be a thousand reasons to justify print media over electronic media, but I guess in the end, electronic media wins, at least for computer journalism.) Of course, if it's for use in a library the magazine will be utilized far more than if an individual buys one, takes it home, and just reads the articles he finds interesting.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 am

2600, maybe Wired, and Linux magazines. The specialty magazines are still a good source of information, but the mainstream stuff is pretty bad.

Make is good too, but it's not strictly about computers.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 am

Don't need them, I have the internet.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 am

I skim thru PC World while waiting in airports. Not much meat there. PC Mag is online only I believe. (and not much meat there but John Dvorjak is sometime interesting).

Besides TR, Go to ars technica and print out what you like.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Mich24 wrote:
Hello everybody,

Do you have any suggestion for a printed tech-magazine (without too much "blabla" inside)?

Thx

There are none. Printed media is dead. Get a smartphone/tablet and use them to read any favorite tech blogs (The Verge, Engadget, etc.).

I am totally puzzled as to why some people try to cling to outdated tree-killing prints instead of much superior digital media... I remember reading news on my crappy Ericsson T28 "dumbphone" back in college (long before smartphones were available), using free T-Mobile's WAP gateway - was much more convenient (compared to any printed crap) while sitting in the dim-lit bathroom stall or standing outside with a cigarette and a cup of coffee :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:44 am

There is still a need for print when travelling. I always try to pick something up when I get on a plane to read since most planes still have you turn off all devices and who wants to pay what they ask for internet.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:58 am

Arvald wrote:
There is still a need for print when travelling. I always try to pick something up when I get on a plane to read since most planes still have you turn off all devices and who wants to pay what they ask for internet.

While that is true, most anything you'd read in print is already yesterday's news (or last week's, last month's...).
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:46 am

Arvald wrote:

Read an eBook or something. You can do that on your smartphone or tablet, just set it to "airplane mode". If a retarded airline prevents you from doing this during whole flight (and not only during takeoff) - find different airline.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:54 pm

JohnC wrote:
Read an eBook or something. You can do that on your smartphone or tablet, just set it to "airplane mode". If a retarded airline prevents you from doing this during whole flight (and not only during takeoff) - find different airline.

I've had them ask to turn off during turbulence too which makes sense for laptops but not for ereaders and tablets.
The almighty dollar decides which airline, not my preference. Besides it also has to do which borders you are crossing. I've had some really weird requirements on Canada to US flights then the connecting flight same airline within US had a whole different attitude...

I also like the magazines since I end up reading most of it, where I would skip an article online if it did not immediately interest me.

Back to the OP question... all print mags now have the "blabla" inside as you say... it is the crap that pays for the magazine to be made. If you want a mag that is good focus and low crap than either you are paying more or getting a cheaply printed... was not 2600 originally photocopies?

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Don't you have a nice smartphone....If battery usage is a problem save the subscription money for a backup battery or a battery booster case of some kind.

Or Get a new Iphone that has built in personal hotspot then get a tablet or Ipad or use a laptop you own already, thats what I do when I do not feel like looking at my phones small screen.
The internet is far superior then some silly magazine that uses up trees err I mean paper.

I still wish they would legalize Hemp. If they did the lumber industry would go apesheet...but they would not have to cut any more trees down for paper. Plus its the strongest natural fiber for paper, clothing etc. Then you get the added truly medicinal uses that the government wastes so much money every year busting mariguana users and more money wasted in the courtrooms and prisons etc. It would save millions perhaps billions of dollars each year for a product/substance that has no addiction side effects, does not cause people to get into fights , kill each other etc.. Plus the money to be made from legalization in taxing would be good. But i think the politicians are still watching reefer madness.
Alcohol is a much larger problem...drunk driving deaths liver damage addiction etc.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Ars Technica used to have a subscription model where for a certain subscription price you could download all of their articles in PDF, so you could theoretically print those out and use them as a print magazine. I don't know if they still offer the service, but it's worth a look.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III