Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: dymt reloaded

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 am

Mooning cars will make you a sex offender? WTH? When I was an apartment dweller we'd get a call a week with people in my building or adjacent buildings that required sex offender notification.

Off topic (what?): this is the most amusing music video I've seen in a long, long time. Thank me later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Off topic (what?): this is the most amusing music video I've seen in a long, long time. Thank me later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

Crazy Scandis.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:19 pm

what.

the.

actual...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:18 pm

A glorious day here in Greater Burlington, VT. Temps around 60, the humidity haze gone from the skies, bright sunshine. Today was perfectly autumnal and that makes me happy. Soon to come are random drives down dirt roads with the trees all in fall colors and apple-picking season. We've made it through the dog days and the climate is now moving to the part of the year where I don't complain about it (even if I wake up in January to find 24" of "climate" in my driveway).

If I remember I'll grab the dSLR and show y'all why I live in and love this state. Vids would need to come from the aged phone, though.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I don't think we've had a day in this month at less than 95 degrees :lol: August was nicer than september so far, which is strange.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:47 am

Would love to see some Autumn pics from Vermont, Ned. Here in Michigan we love our fall colors too :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 am

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/5/469720 ... 80-posters

Old Star Trek (TOS) episodes done up as vintage movie posters. Some guy did a book of all 80 episodes.

http://titanbooks.com/star-trek-the-art ... rtiz-6933/

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 am

Captain Ned wrote:
A glorious day here in Greater Burlington, VT. Temps around 60, the humidity haze gone from the skies, bright sunshine. Today was perfectly autumnal and that makes me happy. Soon to come are random drives down dirt roads with the trees all in fall colors and apple-picking season. We've made it through the dog days and the climate is now moving to the part of the year where I don't complain about it (even if I wake up in January to find 24" of "climate" in my driveway).

If I remember I'll grab the dSLR and show y'all why I live in and love this state. Vids would need to come from the aged phone, though.

I'm just down the way in Cambridge/Boston. Weather is amazing right now.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:43 pm

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 pm

The original DYMT was born 10 years ago today. How are YOU celebrating?
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:32 pm

By making a pointless post in DYMT, of course! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:14 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:

I'm taking off my pants.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 am

I never put mine on :D

Which might explain the issues at my annual review...
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
mac_h8r1 wrote:

I'm taking off my pants.

Ten years? I'm feeling old. Jebus.

On that note, did I really just spend money on a new Hudson D4 mATX board and a A10-6700? How did that happen? Computers don't interest me any more! Or do they?

Then again, I'm replacing a Athlon II system. So, yeah. Why not?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/5/4697206/redesigning-star-trek-the-original-series-in-80-posters

Old Star Trek (TOS) episodes done up as vintage movie posters. Some guy did a book of all 80 episodes.

http://titanbooks.com/star-trek-the-art ... rtiz-6933/

This is cool.

Also, it reminded me that Spock, badass as he was, could have been even bad assier if he'd grown a goatee.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:42 am

Vrock wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
mac_h8r1 wrote:

I'm taking off my pants.

Ten years? I'm feeling old. Jebus.

On that note, did I really just spend money on a new Hudson D4 mATX board and a A10-6700? How did that happen? Computers don't interest me any more! Or do they?

Then again, I'm replacing a Athlon II system. So, yeah. Why not?

The good news is the system is old enough, especially if you're using integrated graphics, that this setup will be totally bitchin'

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm

You know derfunk, it's probably more than I need, but I wanted some newer features like USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0. My refurb AMD 760 board that I bought a while back isn't as stable as I'd like it to be. I'm not sure if it's the board, the CPU, or the power supply, so I'm replacing all three. The PSU certainly has done its duty for king and country, serving since 2008 or so.

I've got a ATI 7770 that runs the games I don't play on PS3 quite well (War for Cybertron, for starters), so I'll leave that one. I would have gone with a AM3+ solution if 1) the TDP wasn't so ridiculous, and 2) AMD had supported it with newer chipsets on the mATX platform.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Oh, yeah, the 7770 should be plenty for some light gaming. I'm totally confused as to why AMD abandoned AM3+, I guess it's just a dead platform for the time being.

On another note, I know the show wasn't even remotely realistic, but I was always a big fan of Burn Notice. I just watched the finale and it was pretty intense. Gonna own all the seasons on Blu Ray at some point I think.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:50 am

Burn Notice is cheesy happy fun and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm actually kind of fighting the upgrade itch; I really want to,but the only thing I actually remotely need is a bigger hard drive. I have one picked out, I just haven't bought it because I keep hoping if I hold off I can do a whole new system. On an AM3+ right now and it does what I need but it's been a while...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 am

Yes that's it. Cheese, happy fun. Bummed to see Michael's mom didn't make it out of the series alive, but we all gotta go sometime

What do you have for a CPU, Paul? If you are still on a Phenom II, a Vishera 8350 might be a worthwhile upgrade. Poking around Andtech shows that it's got a pretty decent lead on the old AM3 CPUs even in CPU-limited gaming apparently. Then again, for another $100 you can swap out the mobo for an H87 and get an i5. :lol:

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm on an X4 620 right now. Thing is, it still works...so even an extra 100 is more than I can justify cause I can still what I need/want.
But a 100 dollar mobo and a 200 dollar i5 might be nice...and add a new GPU to replace my 460...

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Vishera would have been fantastic if it also didn't serve as a space heater. AMD, they're either hot and relatively quick, or cool and relatively slow.

I miss the old days of the Athlon and Athlon 64, when they were actually competitive on something other than just price. Ah well.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm on an X4 620 right now. Thing is, it still works...so even an extra 100 is more than I can justify cause I can still what I need/want.
But a 100 dollar mobo and a 200 dollar i5 might be nice...and add a new GPU to replace my 460...

If it makes you feel better, I'm using a 1GB 460 with an Ivy Bridge i5 and at 1080p it's generally pretty smooth. I can't play everything on super-uber, but I can play most games around High and Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite run at medium-ish settings really well.

I'm not going to upgrade until either I absolutely can't play some PC game I want to or Radeon 7870 or GeForce 660Ti performance hits the $130-150 range. We're getting close. The 660 vanilla can be had for as little as 170-ish after MIR if you catch a decent sale. And if I decide I really want to play Batman Origins on PC I can talk myself into a 660 at that price.

And yeah, I agree Vrock. I'd have gone AMD when I went Ivy Bridge had it not been for the heat. It's close enough performance wise but I like stuff to be very quiet. It probably wouldn't have been TOO loud with my Fractal R4 and Cooler Master 212+ but I knew Ivy would hardly ever get the fans above minimum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:15 am

The rational part of me is so very glad we can get this type of life out of gaming PC's now.
The part of me that enjoys tinkering, not as much :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:16 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
The rational part of me is so very glad we can get this type of life out of gaming PC's now.

It is also an indication that game tech isn't advancing as quickly any more. The days where we had a synergistic thing going on with hardware and games both pushing each other forward seem to be behind us.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:

It is also an indication that game tech isn't advancing as quickly any more. The days where we had a synergistic thing going on with hardware and games both pushing each other forward seem to be behind us.

If that's true, then it means that the major thing that was driving PC hardware improvement is games.

Which is kind of sad.

Seriously, my dad gets by on an ancient Athlon 1ghz (not even an XP chip!) for his computing needs. It's no wonder that PC sales have stagnated when the only real reason to upgrade for 98% of people is games.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:23 pm

I think that's pretty much true everywhere. The big advances in phones and tablets up to a point were to smooth out the user experience, but anything beyond a certain point (certainly today's flagship phones) is done to improve games. With relatively fast flash storage and enough RAM, Android 4.2.2 can run really nicely on something like a Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire. Those are just OMAP4's (dual-core Cortext A9 chips with PowerVR SGX 540 graphics) - the same chipset as the Galaxy Nexus, which also turned out to be a pretty responsive phone. No need for the multi-core GPUs like Apple, Samsung, and Qualcomm include on their chips. I've got a really nice phone with a 1080p display and a quad core SOC but if all I'm doing is calls, texts, camera, and Facebook I don't need it. I got it so I can play games along with it. :p

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Screw it. Rather than 400 on PC upgrades I'm going to see what handguns and rifles are in Sunday's ads at academy. I got an absurd amount of money for my 30-30 so I'm thinking of getting a bolt action in 308 or 30-06 (243 is an outside choice) or a semi auto 9mm or 45. Gander has a S&W 9mm for 330 bucks that's tempting.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Vrock wrote:
If that's true, then it means that the major thing that was driving PC hardware improvement is games.

On the GPU side of things, I'd say that has definitely been the case. For CPUs somewhat less so, since there are always applications which can use more CPU power; but at least in the consumer space, yeah I'd say games have been the primary driving force on CPU performance as well.

My prediction is that raw CPU performance will continue to stagnate, but GPU performance will continue to improve. However, the GPU performance improvements will be increasingly driven by GPU computing applications (e.g. scientific computing) instead of games, since games will mostly be written with the limitations of console GPUs in mind.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:29 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Gander has a S&W 9mm for 330 bucks that's tempting.

If it's the sigma (VE), stay away. I've heard not so good things. Spend the extra $150 for a M&P, it's worth it. I've shot the M&P and it's a really nice pistol.