Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

System starts lagging up

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:24 am

After several weeks of use the entire system will begin to display terrible lag, apps take nearly a minute to load; restart, shutdown and start up take far longer than usual sometimes several minutes; opening applications can take up to a minute before they open and frame rates in games become incredibly low. The only way I seem to be able to fix it is to do a cmos reset and the problem disappears for several weeks to a month or so. Another thing is (im not sure if this is normal) I feel that i experience more blue screens and application crashes than I should. They aren't all the time but more than I feel a system like mine should experience. What could possibly be causing these problems?

Recently I RMA'd my PSU from and AX 750 to and AX 760 because it would squeal sometimes and would also cause frame rate drops along crackling and pops in my audio the new power supply seems to have rectified that problem but the problem I just described still remains. Ive done a 24 hour memory test which came back with 0 errors along with a few clean OS re-installs. Ive left all setting in bios set to stock as well.

Specs
CPU: Intel Core I7 2600k
Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Extreme
Ram: 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair Vengence 1600Mhz
Samsung 830 Series SSD 256GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
Graphics: Asus 680GTX TOP
PSU: Corsair AX760
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Mouse: Logitech G9X
Keyboard: Corsair K90 Vengence
Audio: Audioengine D1 DAC (connected via optical)
Monitor 1: Samsung series 9 S27B970D
Monitor 2: Asus VG248QE

Khali
Gerbil XP

Re: System starts lagging up

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:42 am

I have few questions that might help the peeps around here help you out a bit faster.

What version of windows are you running? What temps are your CPU and GPU running? Overclocked CPU and/or GPU? Have you updated the bios on the motherboard?

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:30 am

Khali wrote:
I have few questions that might help the peeps around here help you out a bit faster.

What version of windows are you running? What temps are your CPU and GPU running? Overclocked CPU and/or GPU? Have you updated the bios on the motherboard?

As I state I am running windows 8 pro 64 bit. For cooling I am running a corsair H100i, cpu idles at 32 degrees Celsius and under full load after running prime95 for an hour temps do not exceed 50 degrees Celsius. As for GPU temp, I idle at 37 degrees Celsius and under full load temps baseline at 92 degrees Celsius. I've gotten the temperatures from Corsair Link and speed fan. Nothing is overclocked everything on the board is set at default and the bios is running the latest revision.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:02 am

Sorry about that, I missed the Win8 in the listing.

92 degrees Celsius seems very high to me, that's 197.6 Fahrenheit. :o

Sorry I'm not much help. Simple stuff I can handle. Stuff like this I let the experts here take care of. :lol:

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:06 am

I feel that i experience more blue screens and application crashes than I should.

You should never get a BSOD so the fact that you're getting any suggests something bad is going on. Perhaps if you could post some of the error codes you're getting someone may be able to help you. Have a look through your system event logs for errors and let us know what you can see.

This is purely a guess but I'd suspect either a dodgy driver or something hard drive related (since memtest didn't find anything wrong with the ram) but this is purely a guess.

EDIT: don't bother posting masses of stuff just yet, the basic descriptions of the errors (if there are any) should do for now.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:09 pm

cheesyking wrote:
I feel that i experience more blue screens and application crashes than I should.

You should never get a BSOD so the fact that you're getting any suggests something bad is going on. Perhaps if you could post some of the error codes you're getting someone may be able to help you. Have a look through your system event logs for errors and let us know what you can see.

This is purely a guess but I'd suspect either a dodgy driver or something hard drive related (since memtest didn't find anything wrong with the ram) but this is purely a guess.

EDIT: don't bother posting masses of stuff just yet, the basic descriptions of the errors (if there are any) should do for now.

The system is nearly bare bone at this point. The only drivers that are installed are the ones that windows 8 picked out and loaded during the install with the exception of the graphics driver(the drivers on asus's website for this board are all listed as beta). As for programs installed all I have atm is steam, league of legends, Google chrome, iTunes, Skype, Microsoft office 2013 and utorrent. All of the hard drives are listed as good in their SMART status and when looking at them in HD Tune they seem to be fine. I just recently ran a clean install of windows so I haven't got a blue screen just yet. However I have had to restart a few times because my frame rate in games dropped way to low (I have no Idea how a 680 GTX is unable to run league of legends at more than 120 FPS not to mention they jump all over the place and drop below 60 at times sometimes hit 200) or because the system experiences sluggishness, however this is not the main problem, a restart fixes this. The main problem is when all of a sudden the system stops loading up anything for extended periods of time (it can take several minutes after clicking Google chrome before it actually launches, and when I view task manager everything appears normal, ex. very low ram usage almost no cpu usage, disc usage is low). This problem is such an incredible pain I am unable to do anything really on the computer because I dont want to install a bunch of programs and then end up having to do a clean install just to be able to use the system again.

Where can I find my event log to post it.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Type eventvwr into the start menu for the eventlog; You want Windows Logs >> System
Sort by either date/time and look for the period when it lags out, or sort by type and check for any "error" or "critical" events during periods you remember being bad.

Can you also run Furmark for half an hour (or until your temperature graph levels out); 92 degrees C is very hot indeed. Most graphics cards have fan controllers that aim for about 80 degrees at most. Usually they're tuned to never hit 90 degrees as prolonged running at those temperatures reduces the lifespan of the GPU.

If it's not sounding like a hurricane in a box at 92 degrees then there's either a problem with the temperature sensors, or a problem with your graphics card's cooling. This review of your card seems to indicate that it runs about 65 degrees under load, so at 92 degrees I'd expect the fans to be screaming at 100%
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:48 pm

The general sluggishness and BSODs point to a problem with your SSD or hard drives. Could be the drive itself is failing, or the cable is bad, or the controller on the motherboard is bad. As Chrispy_ noted, checking the system event logs for anything weird is a good idea.

If those GPU temperatures are accurate, you also have a GPU cooling problem. So either your GPU temp sensors are messed up, your case ventilation sucks, or the GPU cooler is bad.

The CMOS reset thing doesn't make sense though. If a CMOS reset temporarily cures the problem, that points to some sort of motherboard issue.

You've got a lot of different symptoms that are pointing to different things here; this could be a bitch to troubleshoot.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:55 pm

gpu temps are a good place to start. try running with your side panel off to see if it makes a difference. vacuum out your case and clean your videocard heatsink, maybe even re-seat the heatsink and re-apply thermal paste. and have you tried replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh one yet?

i would also check your ssd life and endurance rating, etc...with the manufacturer's supplied toolkit first then other utilities like ssdtweaker. in your case, your samsung 830 needs the samsung magician software which can be found on this page. http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... loads.html

also you may want to do a firmware update if you're not running the latest version. info available on that download page.

last, you could re-install your OS to one of your wd black hdds instead of the ssd. I have seen ssd failures/deaths have strange effects like the stuttering or lagging you describe.

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Type eventvwr into the start menu for the eventlog; You want Windows Logs >> System
Sort by either date/time and look for the period when it lags out, or sort by type and check for any "error" or "critical" events during periods you remember being bad.

Can you also run Furmark for half an hour (or until your temperature graph levels out); 92 degrees C is very hot indeed. Most graphics cards have fan controllers that aim for about 80 degrees at most. Usually they're tuned to never hit 90 degrees as prolonged running at those temperatures reduces the lifespan of the GPU.

If it's not sounding like a hurricane in a box at 92 degrees then there's either a problem with the temperature sensors, or a problem with your graphics card's cooling. This review of your card seems to indicate that it runs about 65 degrees under load, so at 92 degrees I'd expect the fans to be screaming at 100%

I ran Furmark for 30 minutes under the burn in test setting and temps leveled out at 93 degrees Celsius however I had to install GPU-Z separately because the temps on the bottom of Furmark didn't change. I ran it with a resolution of 1920x1080 at full screen, the fans ramped up to full. I had AA set to off because when it was on the card didn't seem to load up the furmark graphics got very laggy and the temps didn't really increase much.
Chrispy_ wrote:
The general sluggishness and BSODs point to a problem with your SSD or hard drives. Could be the drive itself is failing, or the cable is bad, or the controller on the motherboard is bad. As Chrispy_ noted, checking the system event logs for anything weird is a good idea.

If those GPU temperatures are accurate, you also have a GPU cooling problem. So either your GPU temp sensors are messed up, your case ventilation sucks, or the GPU cooler is bad.

The CMOS reset thing doesn't make sense though. If a CMOS reset temporarily cures the problem, that points to some sort of motherboard issue.

You've got a lot of different symptoms that are pointing to different things here; this could be a bitch to troubleshoot.

There is no dust at all in the case I recently cleaned it completely out and removed all the dust between the heat fins on the graphics card and other parts.
ryko wrote:
gpu temps are a good place to start. try running with your side panel off to see if it makes a difference. vacuum out your case and clean your videocard heatsink, maybe even re-seat the heatsink and re-apply thermal paste. and have you tried replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh one yet?

i would also check your ssd life and endurance rating, etc...with the manufacturer's supplied toolkit first then other utilities like ssdtweaker. in your case, your samsung 830 needs the samsung magician software which can be found on this page. http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... loads.html

also you may want to do a firmware update if you're not running the latest version. info available on that download page.

last, you could re-install your OS to one of your wd black hdds instead of the ssd. I have seen ssd failures/deaths have strange effects like the stuttering or lagging you describe.

Temperatures don't seem to change at all with side or case off. I don't want to mess with the card just yet since its not even a year old yet and if it is defective I would want and try to get it RMA'd. The CMOS battery has not been replace the board has just hit its two year old mark. I have Samsung magician installed and when I check the SSD it lists the drive health as good the firmware on it is also up to date. The only problem with installing windows my western digital drives is that they are where I keep all my files, movies, music, software installs and all around data so they aren't available

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:08 am

well first get a new CMOS battery...they are cheap. 1 for $5 locally or 10 for $5 on amazon. or at least use a digital multimeter to get an accurate reading of the current battery's voltage to see if you need a new one. the clear CMOS temporarily making things better could point to a bad battery.

very strange that temps don't change at all with or without the side panel. what is your ambient room temp? try cpuid hwmonitor and maybe try putting a box or room fan next to it while stress-testing the gpu.

but my gut tells me it is your ssd. if you don't want to install your OS on one of your wd blacks then find/get another hdd/ssd to test as a boot drive. ssds don't always fail gracefully and with predictable results. was the drive hammered with writes during it's lifetime? was it trimmed regularly? i know windows 8 uses some other euphemism for trim... see here: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/ ... h-comfort/

and more info: http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-check- ... s-enabled/

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:41 pm

I just looked at my 680 and its bouncing back and forth between 67 and 68 Celsius with F@H running full bore. So I am not far off from the norm of 65 Celsius under load. Either you got a bad temp sensor on your card or something else is wrong. Surprised it has not died if it really is running 93 Celsius.

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 pm

ryko wrote:
well first get a new CMOS battery...they are cheap. 1 for $5 locally or 10 for $5 on amazon. or at least use a digital multimeter to get an accurate reading of the current battery's voltage to see if you need a new one. the clear CMOS temporarily making things better could point to a bad battery.

very strange that temps don't change at all with or without the side panel. what is your ambient room temp? try cpuid hwmonitor and maybe try putting a box or room fan next to it while stress-testing the gpu.

but my gut tells me it is your ssd. if you don't want to install your OS on one of your wd blacks then find/get another hdd/ssd to test as a boot drive. ssds don't always fail gracefully and with predictable results. was the drive hammered with writes during it's lifetime? was it trimmed regularly? i know windows 8 uses some other euphemism for trim... see here: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/ ... h-comfort/

and more info: http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-check- ... s-enabled/

Ok so this is what I did I took the side off I placed one of those small Honeywell fans pointing at the card ran furmark and had ran asus's GPU tweak monitor on the side to monitor temps. Instead of jumping almost immediately to 90C like before, it went to 85C and slowly crept to 91C. I would also like the note that at no point would the fans on the card automatically go to 100% they stopped at around 80% so in GPU tweak I manually raised them to 100% however it offered no change in temperature. The ambient temp in my room is around 21C.
Here's a link to the setup: http://i.imgur.com/U5MpbyK.jpg
Here's a link to the stress test results: http://i.imgur.com/Mtg3d8z.jpg
Here's a link to the SSD results: http://i.imgur.com/mNWKrW2.jpg

In windows 8 the SSD is set to be Optimized(Trimmed) Weekly, should I set this to daily?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Something is seriously wrong with your temperature results. You're getting 70 degrees over ambient with 100% fans and a honeywell pointed at the graphics card. Anything north of 60 degrees in that situation would be a cause for concern, especially with the oversized cooling on your GTX680.
I'd be inclined to say that it's not really 91 degrees, but that you have a software/hardware temperature sensor fault; This could cause all manner of unnecessary throttling.

I've never come across a graphics card that doesn't get obviously noisier when Furmark is run.

I'd remove and reinstall the Nvidia drivers, and also reinstall motherboard drivers - chipset drivers in particular
Remove anything to do with RoG or Asus Probe - Asus' monitoring software may be doing something freaky, and you can always reinstall it later if the issue turns out to be something else.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Something is seriously wrong with your temperature results. You're getting 70 degrees over ambient with 100% fans and a honeywell pointed at the graphics card. Anything north of 60 degrees in that situation would be a cause for concern, especially with the oversized cooling on your GTX680.
I'd be inclined to say that it's not really 91 degrees, but that you have a software/hardware temperature sensor fault; This could cause all manner of unnecessary throttling.

I've never come across a graphics card that doesn't get obviously noisier when Furmark is run.

I'd remove and reinstall the Nvidia drivers, and also reinstall motherboard drivers - chipset drivers in particular
Remove anything to do with RoG or Asus Probe - Asus' monitoring software may be doing something freaky, and you can always reinstall it later if the issue turns out to be something else.

Well as i've said I have no drivers installed other than the ones that installed by default during the windows 8 install with the exception of the graphics driver which I got from the nvidia website. No ROG software asus probe or asus monitoring software is loaded. The motherboard drivers on asus's website are listed as beta for windows 8 which is why I didn't bother installing them and left the default ones that installed with windows 8 (nothing is missing from device manager.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:41 pm

grapenuts wrote:
The motherboard drivers on asus's website are listed as beta for windows 8 which is why I didn't bother installing them and left the default ones that installed with windows 8 (nothing is missing from device manager.

I'm not sure how important they are but at a bare minimum you want the intel chipset drivers (you can get those from Intel directly) and potentially stuff like the Intel Management Engine drivers. I'd start by installing the beta ones from the Asus site, but I wouldn't trust Microsoft's generic W8 driver to get everything right.

There's a reasonable chance you have faulty hardware though. The fact you can run your graphics card at full load without the fans even spinning up is NOT right.

Phaleron
Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Can you install nirsoft bluescreen viewer and copy and paste the results? edit: it should point us at the the driver/piece of hardware that is at fault (hopefully I'll have internet to check back quickly)

edit: for clarification

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
grapenuts wrote:
The motherboard drivers on asus's website are listed as beta for windows 8 which is why I didn't bother installing them and left the default ones that installed with windows 8 (nothing is missing from device manager.

I'm not sure how important they are but at a bare minimum you want the intel chipset drivers (you can get those from Intel directly) and potentially stuff like the Intel Management Engine drivers. I'd start by installing the beta ones from the Asus site, but I wouldn't trust Microsoft's generic W8 driver to get everything right.

There's a reasonable chance you have faulty hardware though. The fact you can run your graphics card at full load without the fans even spinning up is NOT right.

The drivers I could locate and install from intel are the following
MEI_allOS_1.5M_9.0.5.1367_PV which was for the intel management engine
infinst_autol which was for the chipset
PROWin8_64_18.4 LAN Driver

Also today I installed the ASUS VGA Card UEFI VBIOS update tool that I found on asus's website and ran furmark again only to get the same results.

Phaleron wrote:
Can you install nirsoft bluescreen viewer and copy and paste the results? edit: it should point us at the the driver/piece of hardware that is at fault (hopefully I'll have internet to check back quickly)

edit: for clarification

Installed but nothing comes up.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 am

Okay, so even after installing all the relevant drivers, your graphics card still behaves like it has a faulty temp sensor.

Do you have an alternative graphics card you can borrow/test with for a few days.
Ask a friend if you can swap for a weekend or something?

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:06 am

Try to do the following, but be carefull:
- download and install MSI afterburner, get into the options and tick the options to show you the GPU temps, GPU load and fan speed while ingame;
- open the side panel of the case and ground yourself;
- start a GPU intensive game and as the temps reach a stable high value gently press the GPU cooler up against the card around the area where the GPU is located, usually in the middle of the card and see if the temps get slightly lower.

If the temperature gets lower then you have a problem with the heatsink and since it's under warranty it would be advised to contact the company that sold it to you and ask for a replacement.

The system becoming unresponsive for a minute or so could be caused by the video card drivers. It's possible you could be getting one of the infamous Timeout Detection Recovery errors without getting the pop-up warning (happened to me with one of the recent official drivers but i find out from the Event viewer error).

Next time your system lags look at the time, wait for it to recover, go to the Control Panel, Administrative tools, Event Viewer and click on Administrative events on the left side of the panel. You will have to wait for a bit for the errors to be displayed, when they do look for one that happened at the time the system started to behave strangely. Click on the error and google the event number and what other information is displayed.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Arclight wrote:
Try to do the following, but be carefull:
- download and install MSI afterburner, get into the options and tick the options to show you the GPU temps, GPU load and fan speed while ingame;
- open the side panel of the case and ground yourself;
- start a GPU intensive game and as the temps reach a stable high value gently press the GPU cooler up against the card around the area where the GPU is located, usually in the middle of the card and see if the temps get slightly lower.

If the temperature gets lower then you have a problem with the heatsink and since it's under warranty it would be advised to contact the company that sold it to you and ask for a replacement.

The system becoming unresponsive for a minute or so could be caused by the video card drivers. It's possible you could be getting one of the infamous Timeout Detection Recovery errors without getting the pop-up warning (happened to me with one of the recent official drivers but i find out from the Event viewer error).

Next time your system lags look at the time, wait for it to recover, go to the Control Panel, Administrative tools, Event Viewer and click on Administrative events on the left side of the panel. You will have to wait for a bit for the errors to be displayed, when they do look for one that happened at the time the system started to behave strangely. Click on the error and google the event number and what other information is displayed.

I think you helped me nail it. I started up furmark and took the side off my case I then applied slight pressure to the bottom of the heat sink (pressing up towards on the fan shroud where the GPU is located). All of a sudden the temps on GPU tweak skyrocketed to 101C and as soon as I released pressure they dropped back down to around 90C. I then tried to apply pressure to both the back of the card and the fan shroud where the GPU is located to squeeze them together the temps shot to 110 my screen went black and the computer restarted.

This is when noticed that the screws that mount the GPU cooler to the back of the board were popping out every time I applied pressure so I tightened them more snugly and ran furmark again. Now the GPU temp levels out at 81C also what is strange is the temp gauge on the bottom of furmark now works and shows a temp which is accurate with Asus's GPU tweak (the temp used to stay at 40C in furmark and never change). I went back and ran furmark again this time I applied slight pressure to the back of the fan shroud (where the power cables go in) and the temps dropped to 76C as I moved closer towards the GPU applying pressure the temps increased until I was under the GPU the temps hit over 100 again and as soon as I released the dropped back down to the 80s and then back to 81C.

I then applied pressure on the fan shroud again under the GPU but this time all the way towards the bottom of the card (where it plugs in the pci express slot and the temps dropped to 69-70C and as soon as I let go they went back to 81C. I then removed the card from the computer to see if the GPU cooler screws could be tightened anymore and they couldn’t they were as snug as could be. I put the card back in booted up the computer and ran furmark again the temps leveled out at around 83C this time. So I went into GPU Tweak and raised the fan speed from the automatic 46 percent it was on to 100 percent and after a few minutes the temps leveled out at 80C.

So I restarted and ran the furmark "burn-in benchmark 1920x1080 15 min" one final time and these are the results I got.
http://i.imgur.com/0nWIhws.png

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:46 am

If it was me I wouldn't be satisfied with anything over 70c. Your card is going wear all that much faster due to all that heat. Sounds to me like its time to try removing the heat sync and cleaning the old thermal compound off the processor and applying a new layer. You might consider going out and getting some small washers to put on the heat sync screws so you can tighten them down just a little more. Just don't over do it and strip the threads.

If the card is still under warranty I would seriously consider trying to get a replacement. This one has been abused due all that heat and is likely to fail a lot sooner than it normally would. This is the reason I pay a little more and get EVGA cards, they never quibble over sending out replacements.

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:59 am

Khali wrote:
If it was me I wouldn't be satisfied with anything over 70c. Your card is going wear all that much faster due to all that heat. Sounds to me like its time to try removing the heat sync and cleaning the old thermal compound off the processor and applying a new layer. You might consider going out and getting some small washers to put on the heat sync screws so you can tighten them down just a little more. Just don't over do it and strip the threads.

If the card is still under warranty I would seriously consider trying to get a replacement. This one has been abused due all that heat and is likely to fail a lot sooner than it normally would. This is the reason I pay a little more and get EVGA cards, they never quibble over sending out replacements.

I feel that the excess heat is only the symptoms of a larger problem. When I first got the card I would get upward of 300 FPS in games like League of legends. Now i can barely get 150fps and I feel something is just seriously wrong if a $550 can barely keep a free to play game at a stable frame rate.

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Ok so after player crysis 2 for an hour I was averaging 60-115 fps my gpu temps were around 71C all settings on max. Mirrors edge got around 60-65 fps 71C for temp all settings on max. I had v-sync enabled because when it was disabled I got very bad tearing.

grapenuts
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

I havent had any problems yet since I tightened the heat sink down. Also Id like to note I never use those driver finder/installer tools because I think they are a gimmick. However since I plan on doing a clean install of windows 8.1 when It officially releases I downloaded this program called "driver max" its a free version so itll only allow me to dl 2 drivers every 24 hours. When I first ran it, it said something like 26 of my drivers were out of date after a few days Ive managed to get that number down to 9 and of those 9 only 1 of the remaining stands out, the "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" the Drivers that it currently/supposedly updated are.

RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21390 (USB 3.0)
SATA3.0_Win8_1.2.0.1027 _PV (Marvell Controller)
PROWin8_64_18.4 (Intel 82579V Gigabit Network)
R1.17.65.11 (Jmicron Controller)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Not sure what it does)
intel_MEI_15M_9.5.10.1550 (Intel Management Engine)
infinst_autol (unsure thinks its something for chipset)
Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host COntroller - 1C2D (Not a clue)
Intel(R) P67 Express Chipset Family LPC Interface Controller - 1C46 (Not a clue)
xHCI Compliance Test Host Controller (Not a clue)
Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Family PCI Express Root Port - 0101 by Intel (Not a clue)
Intel watchdog Timer Driver (intel WDT) (Not a clue)

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:36 pm

That looks like mostly motherboard drivers there, that infinst_autol is their mobo driver package you can download from intel's site. The rapid storage driver is software to manage your hard drives and SSds. You don't have to use them, but they give better performance.