Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Diablo III

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:21 am

To me the paragon levels are not fun at all. I made it to paragon 5 and at that point it seems pointless to progress further, just redoing content over and over. I'm kinda alt-ed out with 4 level 60's as well. A few of the achievements are fun. I made my monk the pink power ranger and went back and slaughtered all the bosses to get the Pink'd achievement.

Blacksmithing is still almost useless despite their improvements. I'm hoping for better crafting in the expansion.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:55 am

I'm at the tail end of my vacation time from work, so I could not resist going out and buying Diablo 3 for the Xbox 360 yesterday. It is super rare that I ever buy a game when it first comes out, but I was impressed enough with what I'd played of the PC version to give it a shot. If nothing else, the boost in frame rate of the Xbox 360 version compared to my low-spec PC would be a welcome thing.

I installed the game to my hard drive and it took 6.7GB of space. I went to go launch the game and it said something to the effect of me needing to update my Xbox 360 dashboard and security (not their words) before the game would launch. I'm not on Xbox Live at all, so I had to go to the Xbox website to download the latest dashboard. I did this on my PC and put it onto a USB stick and was able to update my dashboard without any difficulty. Then the game did launch after that.

I played Diablo 3 for at least four hours yesterday and really had a lot of fun with it. I created a witch doctor and have him up to level 11 already. The frame rate is indeed worlds better than my PC, even with lots of stuff happening on the screen, but it is true that aiming at enemies is not as precise as having a mouse. Even so, I've adapted quite well. For melee characters it would probably be awesome. Also I should point out that the camera is zoomed in closer the action than the PC version so sometimes enemies do come up on you quickly. Additionally, one minor annoyance I've had is that when I am close to the entrance of a dungeon and I go to attack someone with the A button on the controller (which is also the main action button), sometimes I will accidentally exit the dungeon rather than attack the enemy. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind. Monster Power does exist in the console version, but each level has a different name than the PC version. You have easy, normal, and hard difficulties and then Master Levels 1 through 5.

The game manual is almost non-existant. All I got for documentation was a card with a redemption code key for the Infernal Helm on Xbox Live, and a fold-open "manual" which gives a health warning about photosensitive seizures, the software license agreement, and the controller scheme. That's the extent of the documentation. There's not even a link that I could see about downloading the manual. I guess they are trying to push as many people as possible into getting the strategy guide, but of course the Internet is a good resource too. :D

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun with the console version of this game and would recommend it. Bear in mind however that I never played much beyond normal difficulty in the PC version due to the terrible frame rate of my GeForce 8200 graphics chip.

Sorry for the long post!

credible
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Oh cool, they're taking out the Auction house.

Blizzard basically ruined DIII with the AH and RMAH by turning one of the great LAN gaming experiences into a grind-fest.
Not only did they somehow make a pay-up-front, AAA title feel "freemium", they also destroyed the gameplay by necessity

I'm hoping the droprates improve when the AH vanishes. I used to collect armour sets for my D2 characters. There was absolutely no chance of that happening in D3 because of the AH-adjusted droprates.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

credible
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Agreed Chrispy, oh the hours I put into Diablo 2, hopefully those days come back with the xpac, fingers crossed,lol.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:28 pm

I hope that paves the way for offline play, but my guess is no. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:04 am

Careful for what you wish for.......is the old adage. After being at the mercy of Blizzard's notorious RNG for 20+ years now I don't really see this as a turning point. Loot 2.0 may drop less loot but of better quality but that doesn't equate to RNG rolls. It WILL be more of a grind, I guarantee it!

(But I am happy the AH in DIII is going away, should have never been introduced.)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 am

As someone who has done more than enough Mephiso/Baal runs and joined way too many "xyz 4 script" games, how did you all trade in D2?!? An SoJ-based (or whatever it will end up being) economy is way worse than the AH... No, I don't have 1 SoJ, let alone 12 SoJs!!!

If drop rates were artificially low, they could have simply fixed that and IMO kept the AH. The AH is much better than joining a zillion trade games where you have to interact directly with some jerk directly. Or if not the AH, some sort of automated trading board. I understand the AH had the effect of devaluing killing stuff for loot, but part of that on is the user too... Whether Loot 2.0 addresses anything is yet to be seen, cause drop rates are still going to be low... I mean it says it there in its "script"...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:44 am

Yeah, for sure it'll be more of a grind. That's what the game is supposed to be. I've tried to just play with what I find and I find that the game is really frickin hard that way.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Remember that the AH change will not happen in a vacuum. Chances are that crafting and/or drop rates will be altered when the AH comes down so that you can still progress at a similar rate...at least one would hope.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Hopefully, this is a start that make Diablo 3 more than just a WoW clone with overhead perspective and blood/gore. It might actually be a worthy successor to Diablo 2. Blizzard just needs to add a lot more items, stats, make skill trees more distinctive and return runes/runewords.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm glad to hear that the AH and RMAH are going bye-bye in the next several months. Although I was discouraged from playing beyond normal difficulty on the PC version of D3 due to the slow graphics chip of my current Internet computer, I've always been told that using the AH and RMAH was an unwritten requirement of getting through Inferno difficulty. One guy that I know played up to Level 60 Paragon 3 with a Demon Hunter and never got a single legendary drop the whole time. Already in the console version, I've gotten several legendary drops just on normal difficulty. Although I think that is excessive and I've had to ramp up the difficulty somewhat to compensate, it does show potential promise for what might happen with the PC version, particularly after the expansion comes out.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 am

I hope that Loot 2.0 means loot tables for bosses or even areas. If you want that [Legend-wait for it-ary fist of Immense Awesomeness] that means you farm XYZ BOSS or ABC area.

I also hope that crafting improves a lot. Taking out some of the randomness of it. Yeah and the return of runes.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:51 am

Anybody getting Reaper of Souls? My wife and I have been running a DH/Barb combo since the 2.0.1 patch came out and I can say for sure that drops are WAYYYY more relevant. I replaced my entire Immortal King's barb set with rare/legendary drops, and the cost of crafting stones is low enough that I have star green and red in all my sockets.

Crafting still seems to be very hit-or-miss. I only crafted one pair of worthwhile boots, and they had huge dex and IMS so I gave them to her DH.

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:06 am

I am not planning on getting Reaper yet...but will eventually. I am enjoying the heck out of the new systems in 2.0.1, though. I stopped playing after I got my Monk to level 37 and started nightmare. I started playing when the new systems went in a few weeks ago. I am now level 60 Paragon ~20 and enjoying the heck out of it (playing on Master right now).

When I first came back I left town (on normal) in Act 1 and got massacred a few times, my gear sucked. I had replaced all my gear (self-found) in about 30 minutes of playing (once I started playing more cautiously until I got my gear replaced). It really is a lot more fun this time around. I plan on playing a fair amount this weekend.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:20 am

I just bought a new laptop computer this week and can finally run D3 properly YAY! I have to say also that I am impressed with the new loot system. It wasn't very long before I was able to completely replace the gear on my witch doctor and that the new gear was indeed more relevant to my character and just better in general. I had a blast playing.

I went to my local EB Games yesterday and put down a deposit on Reaper of Souls standard edition. I will definitely pick it up on release day and hope that Blizzard can handle the traffic.

However, I do plan to delete my two existing characters and start over with all new characters once I install Reaper of Souls next week. I think enough has changed in the game over time to justify this. For me it is not a big deal to begin anew since my highest level character is only level 40. I didn't play a whole lot because my previous computer had terrible frame rates.

I do have one question though...in the console version of D3, you are able to combine (craft) materials to make a higher material. For example, if you have 10 subtle essence, you can combine these to create 1 shimmering essence. Is there a way to also do this in the PC version? Maybe I am just having a brain fart and am not seeing it or maybe they haven't implemented it, I don't know.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 pm

I bought it. I'll probably roll a Crusader.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:37 pm

I also Pre-Ordered it, and will be grinding until I get my Crusader to 60.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm planning on getting RoS too. I had stopped playing D3 awhile back (in favor of Borderlands 2), but I started up the game last night with my witch doctor. I had the same experience as PetMice and mattshwink in that I also quickly replaced all my gear with much better and more relevant stuff. The new loot system also leaves a LOT less junk drops, which is a welcome change for me since I was always annoyed at all the litter that ends up covering the ground after a battle. I'm excited to keep playing.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:24 am

nerdrage wrote:
The new loot system also leaves a LOT less junk drops, which is a welcome change for me since I was always annoyed at all the litter that ends up covering the ground after a battle. I'm excited to keep playing.

At lower levels this is true but eventually it catches up around torment I and II. Trying to find a few pieces to flesh-out my monk by farming Torment II and you start to seeing a lot of junk in yellows. Even the legendaries start becoming junk, I mean discover a legendary and there is no main stat (dex, Int, str) on it just a bunch of affixes. yeahh it sucks.

But overall loot 2.0 is an awesome change. And its made the game fun again.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Yeah I took advantage of the 100% boost this weekend, but was sad when it ended monday morning. Got 3 of my toons to 60 along with the other 2 to 40ish. I have also noticed at high level you do get a lot more junk itmes and Ive been having a lot of items for other classes drop again. So much stuff to salvage.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Everyone enjoying RoS? I had Best Buy gift cards that totaled $50 so I ordered from them for my wife and I, and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. That's what I get for saving money, I guess.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Well just got mine today, even though when I ordered it through amazon it was promised yesterday on release. After I gave them my complaint I at least got my shipping refunded...still a little irritated though. Maybe when I play the game Ill be less angry and have some fun.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm

I bought RoS via Battle.net today. My co-workers are saying Act V is pretty good so far, and significantly longer than Act IV.
i5-9600K · Z390 Aorus Pro · 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Intel 760p 512GB · WD 1TB · HP ZR24w · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo · Win10/Ubuntu 18.10

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:09 pm

I am enjoying Act 5. I like the new enchantress.

The levels seem to come fast while playing at Master difficulty. I did die twice, so even with uber gear it was not easy.

I like that Marquis gems are dropping.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:34 pm

I picked up RoS yesterday from EB Games...someone cancelled their pre-order for the Collector's Edition and the store asked me if I wanted to buy it instead. I had a moment of weakness and ended up buying it. I will say the extras are pretty nice. But of course, I dove head first into the game itself immediately and so far I really like it. However, I got rid of my characters from vanilla D3 and decided to start with new characters. Right now I have a Witch Doctor at level 20 already. At the moment where I am, there does not appear to be a lot of differences in RoS versus D3 but I know that will change as I level up higher and especially when I get to Act V. So far so good and I look forward to playing in Adventure Mode!

bandannaman
Gerbil

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:52 pm

The updated game even without the expansion is getting some rave reviews out there, so I think I'll have to fire it up again; maybe get RoS when it's time for Adventure Mode.

Is there a TR clan?
----
Bandannaman

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:13 pm

bandannaman wrote:
Is there a TR clan?

There does not seem to be so I'll make one. If you would like invites, just add me. Philldoe#1216

EDIT: The TR clan is up, though it's not showing up in the community search.
Last edited by Philldoe on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:09 pm

My wife and I have played some of Act V and it's pretty good. I like the setting of Westmarch (so far) and I like the new mobs. The setting all seems to go together nicely. My GTX 460 bit the dust. Going to have to see how it runs on HD4000. Wish me luck. :lol:

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:24 pm

I spent 2.5 hours at the DMV saturday to get my physical license picture renewed. So that I could get the authenticator removed from my account. So I could buy D3+expansion. So I could... F***.

I'm having fun as a newbie. Lev 26 wizard, probably going to make a barbarian as melee has always been my thing. So far so good.