Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:33 pm

I think some of you guys might enjoy Grails. Here's a sample...

Grails - Take Refuge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFrPDp5MkA

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
You might want to look into some of those Hellborg albums too, then. :wink:

Gracias. Is this another Djam Karet?

Mmm... probably not. But maybe? His output is rather more diverse, so you probably don't want to jump in and buy the whole back catalog right off the bat (IIRC some of it is out of print anyway).

In your case I'd probably toss his "Art Metal" and "e" albums into the mix as well (a bit closer to prog rock... maybe?).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:40 pm

slowriot wrote:
I think some of you guys might enjoy Grails. Here's a sample...

Grails - Take Refuge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFrPDp5MkA

Hmm... interesting. I guess I need to check them out.

smilingcrow
Gerbil

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Miles Davis – Agharta.

Miles Davis’s recordings during his extraordinarily creative period of 69 to 75 are very varied. This is a live double CD from a concert in Japan in 75 and a second live double CD Pangaea recorded on the same day was also released; afternoon and evening sets respectively.
The dual electric guitars, funk bass and African percussion must have been a hell of a shock for anyone attending those concerts who hadn’t kept up with the changes in Miles’s music.
I love the way this music breathes as it moves between very intense and/or up-tempo phases to slower and more reflective episodes. The music for both concerts together is split over only 5 tracks over 3+ hours over 4CDs and it feels very organic to me.
The guitarist Reggie Lucas takes most of the solos and he brings a strong Hendrix influence but is clearly his own man. I’ve never heard anyone play in this way before or since. If you are a lover of out there on the edge fusion guitar then this is a must. The dual guitars on these two albums are worth the price of entry alone.
Miles is using a wah-wah and it fits the overall vibe perfectly.
I find them to be quite exquisitely beautiful mixes of melancholy, tenderness and savagery. Top 3 concerts on record of all time for me. Essential listening.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Dig Me Out by Sleater-Kinney

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Big FSOL fan. and come back to them from time to time, like now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpaFRsFIVoc

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:27 pm

smilingcrow wrote:
Miles Davis – Agharta.

I haven't heard that one, but will definitely check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

While we're in Fusion mode, I have to put in a plug for something I just picked up (which I am in fact listening to right now):
Marbin - Last Chapter Of Dreaming

I'd never heard of these guys until about a year ago, when I saw them open for Allan Holdsworth at a little club in Chicago. This is some great stuff; I found their first two albums to be a bit uneven, but this one smokes!

gigafinger
Gerbil

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:33 pm

stratagem
Gerbil

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Dead Sara - yup the whole album.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:56 pm

RIGHT NOW - I am listening to blissful silence; it's near the end of the day and people have started to leave the office...

Aside from that, it's been Black Sabbath "13" which is a damn good album. Ozzy sounds better than he has in a while.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:46 am

smilingcrow wrote:
Miles Davis – Agharta.

Miles Davis’s recordings during his extraordinarily creative period of 69 to 75 are very varied. This is a live double CD from a concert in Japan in 75 and a second live double CD Pangaea recorded on the same day was also released; afternoon and evening sets respectively.
The dual electric guitars, funk bass and African percussion must have been a hell of a shock for anyone attending those concerts who hadn’t kept up with the changes in Miles’s music.
I love the way this music breathes as it moves between very intense and/or up-tempo phases to slower and more reflective episodes. The music for both concerts together is split over only 5 tracks over 3+ hours over 4CDs and it feels very organic to me.
The guitarist Reggie Lucas takes most of the solos and he brings a strong Hendrix influence but is clearly his own man. I’ve never heard anyone play in this way before or since. If you are a lover of out there on the edge fusion guitar then this is a must. The dual guitars on these two albums are worth the price of entry alone.
Miles is using a wah-wah and it fits the overall vibe perfectly.
I find them to be quite exquisitely beautiful mixes of melancholy, tenderness and savagery. Top 3 concerts on record of all time for me. Essential listening.

Reggie was classified as a 'sick' guitar player by some critics. I thought that was about right and use it to this day to describe similar playing.

Great stuff.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:07 pm

What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

One Drop by PiL

And some random Shoegaze playlists on YouTube to follow it up. I blame my cousin in college for getting me into that stuff.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Baby Animals - Il Grande Silenzio

I've mentioned them on the forums before (here, here, and here). Apparently they're back together, and have released this album (and another one, This Is Not The End).

Il Grande Silenzio is much more laid back than their two pre-breakup albums; most of it consists of acoustic (re)arrangements of songs from those albums. I'm really enjoying this, but I'm a sucker for contraltos (see also: Mary Fahl, Sass Jordan... :D)

RenatoPassos
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Everything But The Girl - Missing (the original version, not Todd Terry's remix). And, before that, Panamah - Børn Af Natten. On repeat.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:12 pm

i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Happy Rhodes - Fall

OMG that voice...

This version is a very different arrangement from the album version, which features piano and percussion instead of the guitars. I actually find the album version rather creepy... gives me chills.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:40 pm

It was Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground, but it morphed into this when I went to YouTube for a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsaWoSq-OBo
8)
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Such a dirty stuff you kids listen to nowadays :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:35 pm

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Chicago - Gone Long Gone.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Whiskey Meyers, through a broken window
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

zenlessyank
Gerbil

Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Soulfly. From the 2008 Collectors edition, track 9. For Those About To Rot.

Such a great slab of vinyl from the master Max.
MSI X58A-GD65, [email protected], EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Buckethead. I'm old I can only do so much and he's putting out albums about every three weeks these days. Listening to:

Halls of Dimension
March of the Slunks
Pancake Heater > Just right for breakfast music
Slug Cartilage
Telescape

On heavy rotation in my 10 CD changer in the Lincoln.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:02 am

JohnC wrote:
Such a dirty stuff you kids listen to nowadays :wink:
It's not dirty! x3 It's a song about the appreciation of stockings!
NeelyCam wrote:
Animals as Leaders is amazing! "An Infinite Regression" is a better song though. (ΦωΦ)
zenlessyank wrote:
Soulfly. From the 2008 Collectors edition, track 9. For Those About To Rot.
My brother's friend is really into Soulfly. I couldn't get into them though.
PenGun wrote:
Buckethead. I'm old I can only do so much and he's putting out albums about every three weeks these days.
Buckethead ... ehh. I tried to get into him after, as a novice guitarist, being blown away by hearing his song "Jordan" while my friends were playing Guitar Hero, but there's only so much self-indulgent wankery I can enjoy. Animals as Leaders is pushing it sometimes! ('∀`) I do like Colma a lot, though.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:08 am

auxy wrote:
PenGun wrote:
Buckethead. I'm old I can only do so much and he's putting out albums about every three weeks these days.

Buckethead ... ehh. I tried to get into him after, as a novice guitarist, being blown away by hearing his song "Jordan" while my friends were playing Guitar Hero,

My "discovery" of Buckethead happened in a much more roundabout way; even though it was back in 1995 or thereabouts I still remember how it happened. I was reading a review of one of my favorite albums of the '90s, Gongzilla's Suffer. The reviewer compared the opening riff of the first track to Buckethead... "Bucketwho?" I thought. And immediately started looking for stuff by him.

auxy wrote:
but there's only so much self-indulgent wankery I can enjoy. Animals as Leaders is pushing it sometimes! ('∀`) I do like Colma a lot, though.

You might enjoy "Captain Eo's Voyage" then. It seems the closest in feel to "Colma"... at least of the Buckethead stuff I own. "Population Override", "Electric Tears", and "Electric Sea" are also in a more laid-back vein and steer clear of "self-indulgent wankery".

Octave of the Holy Innocents is also fan-damn-tastic. He's a terrific acoustic guitarist, though you wouldn't know it if you're mainly familiar with his electric shred-fests.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
auxy wrote:
PenGun wrote:

Buckethead ... ehh. I tried to get into him after, as a novice guitarist, being blown away by hearing his song "Jordan" while my friends were playing Guitar Hero,

My "discovery" of Buckethead happened in a much more roundabout way; even though it was back in 1995 or thereabouts I still remember how it happened. I was reading a review of one of my favorite albums of the '90s, Gongzilla's Suffer. The reviewer compared the opening riff of the first track to Buckethead... "Bucketwho?" I thought. And immediately started looking for stuff by him.

auxy wrote:
but there's only so much self-indulgent wankery I can enjoy. Animals as Leaders is pushing it sometimes! ('∀`) I do like Colma a lot, though.

You might enjoy "Captain Eo's Voyage" then. It seems the closest in feel to "Colma"... at least of the Buckethead stuff I own. "Population Override", "Electric Tears", and "Electric Sea" are also in a more laid-back vein and steer clear of "self-indulgent wankery".

Octave of the Holy Innocents is also fan-damn-tastic. He's a terrific acoustic guitarist, though you wouldn't know it if you're mainly familiar with his electric shred-fests.

You don't want to let him near a banjo either. Oh well.

Buckethead is a master. There is no self indulgent wankery involved. The best guitar player that ever lived will not fit into your set of boxes.

There is a body of work for the weak, JBI has shown us a few.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:20 pm

PenGun wrote:
Buckethead is a master. There is no self indulgent wankery involved. The best guitar player that ever lived will not fit into your set of boxes.

I'm sorry, but self-indulgent really does describe some of his music. I still *like* most of it, mind you... self-indulgent music isn't necessarily bad! C'mon, calling an album of extended improvs "Chicken Noodles"? He *knows* this stuff is self-indulgent. You are taking him more seriously than he takes himself!

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
PenGun wrote:

I'm sorry, but self-indulgent really does describe some of his music. I still *like* most of it, mind you... self-indulgent music isn't necessarily bad! C'mon, calling an album of extended improvs "Chicken Noodles"? He *knows* this stuff is self-indulgent. You are taking him more seriously than he takes himself!

All he does is make music. A strange being with few of the traits that normal people know as indulgence. I have seen him live. I have seen Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee and quite a few other widely respected players live. Buckethead has his own category only he inhabits. No comparison.

It's hard to call someone who is completely immune to fame and recognition to the point that only a few of us know who he is, self indulgent.

After a stack of rhythm guitar albums, this year, we have complaints of no solos, so he gives us Halls of Dimension and starts off with a Cry Baby and solos endlessly.

Certainly an acquired taste but there is nothing even close to him. His recent Regards albums with Brain and Melissa are right out in Ornette Colman territory and he plays support a whole lot.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:18 pm

PenGun wrote:
It's hard to call someone who is completely immune to fame and recognition to the point that only a few of us know who he is, self indulgent.

I beg to differ. As you've pretty much just pointed out, it seems that most of the time he's making this music as much for himself as for anyone else. It's the music he wants (or needs!) to make to satisfy his own inner muse, with little or no regard for fame or commercial potential.

That's pretty much a textbook definition of self-indulgent behavior.