Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

[Need Help] No display on Haswell

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 am

I built a 4770k haswell processor based system for my boss. I installed windows on it then in the middle of checking for updates the screen froze. I had to hard boot it and I haven't been able to get it to display an image to any monitor since. I turns on lights up but nothing no bios beeps or anything. Just no image displaying. I tried unplugging devices, and re attaching ever cable in the computer. What do you think I should do from here? My thoughts, CPU or Mobo is dead. How do I narrow it down to one or the other???

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: [Need Help] No display on Haswell

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:19 am

Clear CMOS, try getting into the BIOS. I'd try those two first.

edit: Obviously boot with minimum you need to use the comp. Monitor, keyboard, mouse. No speakers or other USB devices if you can manage.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 am

DancinJack wrote:

edit: Obviously boot with minimum you need to use the comp. Monitor, keyboard, mouse. No speakers or other USB devices if you can manage.

Mouse and keyboard are USB

I'll see if I can get it to post that way.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:31 am

DancinJack wrote:

My mobo is the B5M-E And it doesn't have a reset button on it. How would I clear CMOS? Do I pull the battery our of the mobo?

Techgoudy
Gerbil First Class

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 am

If it messed up during the updates I would've assumed that it could've been installing the graphics driver. Since you didn't get so far I would try reinstalling windows or better yet using a live CD to see if any image displays from the graphics card in an OS.

And yes if it doesn't have a reset CMOS button, take the battery out and turn the PC on and then shut it off, put the battery back and you should be fine.
Last edited by Techgoudy on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:37 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

My mobo is the B5M-E And it doesn't have a reset button on it. How would I clear CMOS? Do I pull the battery our of the mobo?

Yeah, you can do that. There should be a jumper you can use as well. Pulling battery for 10-15 seconds should do the job just fine though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 am

Reset CMOS, no dice. When I turn the computer on it doesn't put out any video signal at all. It doesn't post or anything. No beeps. Just fans wirling up. I unplugged the HDD and disk drive to no avail. IF drivers are installed on the HDD and that is not plugged in shouldn't it post?

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

Reset CMOS, no dice. When I turn the computer on it doesn't put out any video signal at all. It doesn't post or anything. No beeps. Just fans wirling up. I unplugged the HDD and disk drive to no avail. IF drivers are installed on the HDD and that is not plugged in shouldn't it post?

Google didn't bring up a motherboard for me. Have you tried using different display ports? And a also tried a different monitor?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:17 am

anotherengineer wrote:

Google didn't bring up a motherboard for me. Have you tried using different display ports? And a also tried a different monitor?

Used VGA and Display port, with different monitors that I also tested on another computer.

I've tried swapping ram around. I have another identical build and swapping everything but mobo, CPU and PSU has not had any effect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131991

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:45 am

Is there a way I can discern what is causing the issue here? I want to return the items in question to micro center at lunch today.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:00 pm

I have another identical system, what is the best way to plug and play to check the psu or CPU???

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm sorry, different sockets. Is there a simple and safe way to test my psu???

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:17 pm

I just saw your PSU post...If you have the systems together already swap out the PSU's but since the fans are spinning up I do not think thats your problem. Make sure the CPU power plug is secure on the problem rig, remove it look for burn marks and replug it in. Also scan the board really good for a burned trace or component that looks burnt or even just loose.

Humm,
If i have trouble resetting the Cmos I remove the battery and the power cord from the PSU and Jump the clr Cmos jumper for at least 10 minutes.
Also I always hit the power button after i remove the power cord from the PSU to discharge the capacitors/ETC inside the PSU. I had a boot loops problem with my p67 board and the cmos would not clear until I did that. Sounds strange but thats what it took to fix it...plus a bios update.

I know it is probably because of a combo deal...but why a 4770k with such a lame motherboard "no Offence" but the power delivery system/VRM's look horribly inadequate. Or do you plan on swapping a i3 haswell cpu into one of your bosses rigs and snag a 4770k for cheap:)

I was reading the asus site and that board has some USB bios fixer, but if you cannot even get a post I do not think that will help.

I would try a dedicated video card just to see if it posts, If it does I would want a new CPU and motherboard since both could cause the problem.
Or throw in the towel and ditch your current cpu and motherboard for a inexpensive z87 board..perhaps a ASROCK board. If you plan on sticking with the 4770k you might as well get a hyper 212 evo cooler also since I have heard the Intel coolers are very noisy even running at stock speeds when loaded.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:22 pm

vargis14 wrote:
I just saw your PSU post...If you have the systems together already swap out the PSU's but since the fans are spinning up I do not think thats your problem. Make sure the CPU power plug is secure on the problem rig, remove it look for burn marks and replug it in. Also scan the board really good for a burned trace or component that looks burnt or even just loose.

Humm,
If i have trouble resetting the Cmos I remove the battery and the power cord from the PSU and Jump the clr Cmos jumper for at least 10 minutes.
Also I always hit the power button after i remove the power cord from the PSU to discharge the capacitors/ETC inside the PSU. I had a boot loops problem with my p67 board and the cmos would not clear until I did that. Sounds strange but thats what it took to fix it...plus a bios update.

I know it is probably because of a combo deal...but why a 4770k with such a lame motherboard "no Offence" but the power delivery system/VRM's look horribly inadequate. Or do you plan on swapping a i3 haswell cpu into one of your bosses rigs and snag a 4770k for cheap:)

I was reading the asus site and that board has some USB bios fixer, but if you cannot even get a post I do not think that will help.

I would try a dedicated video card just to see if it posts, If it does I would want a new CPU and motherboard since both could cause the problem.
Or throw in the towel and ditch your current cpu and motherboard for a inexpensive z87 board..perhaps a ASROCK board. If you plan on sticking with the 4770k you might as well get a hyper 212 evo cooler also since I have heard the Intel coolers are very noisy even running at stock speeds when loaded.

Went to micro center at lunch, was free to swap for new parts so I did. Reassembling right now will post when done.

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:56 pm

well i don't think a hardware swap was necessary but too late now. it seems pretty likely that some driver that was installed during your "updates" was the culprit. most likely a video driver from windows update. all you needed to do was boot into safemode and remove the old driver and install the newest one from intel since you are using the 4770k integrated video. also make sure to use either the 32bit or 64bit version for your particular operating system. good luck with the new board.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Seems to be working fine now. My boss wants win 7 though so we will see.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:37 pm

ryko wrote:
well i don't think a hardware swap was necessary but too late now. it seems pretty likely that some driver that was installed during your "updates" was the culprit. most likely a video driver from windows update. all you needed to do was boot into safemode and remove the old driver and install the newest one from intel since you are using the 4770k integrated video. also make sure to use either the 32bit or 64bit version for your particular operating system. good luck with the new board.

Video drivers won't keep a board from POSTing...

I'd be on premature motherboard failure - which parts did you end up swapping out kami?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm

You did the right thing with the hardware swap.

If a board won't POST, something is dead or incorrectly assembled.
Clearly the new one works so your assembly skills weren't the issue.

No driver I have ever come across (not even fastboot Win8 stuff) has ever been know to prevent POST; POST basically means "pre-driver"

If something won't POST, I unplug everything until I have just the PSU, CPU, 1 RAM stick and a PC speaker.
If I don't get "where-the-hell-is-my-graphics-card" beeping (or LED status codes for fancy boards) then it's time to swap the PSU with a known working one to see if the board or the PSU is at fault. Even faulty RAM produces a beep code, so it has to be one of those two things - based on the fact that I have never in 20 years seen a processor stop working without it letting out the [i]magic smoke[/i (and that is a smell you will never miss easily).

Troubleshooting hardware is easy as long as it's not an intermittent fault ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 am

Waco wrote:
ryko wrote:

Video drivers won't keep a board from POSTing...

I'd be on premature motherboard failure - which parts did you end up swapping out kami?

Mobo and CPU swapped and looking great.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:45 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
You did the right thing with the hardware swap.

If a board won't POST, something is dead or incorrectly assembled.
Clearly the new one works so your assembly skills weren't the issue.

No driver I have ever come across (not even fastboot Win8 stuff) has ever been know to prevent POST; POST basically means "pre-driver"

If something won't POST, I unplug everything until I have just the PSU, CPU, 1 RAM stick and a PC speaker.
If I don't get "where-the-hell-is-my-graphics-card" beeping (or LED status codes for fancy boards) then it's time to swap the PSU with a known working one to see if the board or the PSU is at fault. Even faulty RAM produces a beep code, so it has to be one of those two things - based on the fact that I have never in 20 years seen a processor stop working without it letting out the [i]magic smoke[/i (and that is a smell you will never miss easily).

Troubleshooting hardware is easy as long as it's not an intermittent fault ;)

If the GPU wasn't integrated into the CPU I'd have said mobo failure period from the get go. But since my mind was not certain I opted to swap both. Just based on the odds of CPU failure as they are much lower than Mobo failure I'd say odds were atleast 10 to 1 but I just wanted to cover my bases.

The lack of beeps was the give away the computer was experiencing a catastrophic fault.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 am

Strange question associated with setting up this machine is there a way in windows 8 to set preferences so that files don't default to the metro apps for viewing? I know I can go through one file type at a time and set typical app options but didn't know if there was a basic setting.

Thanks guys for all your help yesterday.