John McAfee has a solution to our NSA spying problems

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:08 pm

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: John McAfee has a solution to our NSA spying problems

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:42 pm

So this is like a custom encrypted VPN device? If yes - it is useless:
http://www.informationweek.com/security ... /240159261
And if they can't crack the encryption by themselves - I am sure they can simply force the manufacturer to provide them the way to decrypt it.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Bah, I was hoping this plan would involve his elite team of hot female assassins and/or Central American gangland acquaintances. I am disappoint.

On a serious note, decentralized hardware like local darknets and ad-hoc wireless is the right way to go. As long as everything flows through a handful of server farms owned by major telecoms it will be really easy for spies, hackers, disgruntled employees and other troublemakers to have their way with the system. Can't tell if his gadget is supposed to do that or will just be a big access point.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 pm

"Send lawyers, guns, and money..."

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Buub wrote:
"Send lawyers, guns, and money..."

Nah, just avoid Russian waitresses.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

zenlessyank
Gerbil

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm

If it works as well as his McAfee Virus Delivery System, then this will save the NSA a lot of trouble.
MSI X58A-GD65, [email protected], EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:29 pm

Hey now, the detection rate for their current product is not that awful - it's not as good as better paid options but much better than worthless crap from Microsoft or even Avira's products:
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-us ... laug-2013/ :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

zenlessyank
Gerbil

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:50 pm

JohnC wrote:
Hey now, the detection rate for their current product is not that awful - it's not as good as better paid options but much better than worthless crap from Microsoft or even Avira's products:
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-us ... laug-2013/ :wink:

I've been removing viruses since Win95 and at least 60 per cent were infected with McAfee installed, yet maybe only 20 per cent that had NO anti-virus installed at all. The rest had Norton/Symantec and later, Microsoft's lame program. And then the rest of the apps fill in the other blank spaces. I am convinced McAfee is a beacon to malware who probe for its open ports for updates to identify it then attack the turdware, then compromise the system, since it prolly has root/admin.
CLamWin, Malwarebytes and Sandboxie for questionable programs from net for testing will server users well.
MSI X58A-GD65, [email protected], EVGA 660 GTX SC SLI, Neutron 240 GB,2.75 TB Spindle Storage,ASUS DVD-RW, 6GB Patriot, Win 7 & 8.1 & Kubuntu Triple Boot, ASUS VK278 on DisplayPort.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:37 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
On a serious note, decentralized hardware like local darknets and ad-hoc wireless is the right way to go. As long as everything flows through a handful of server farms owned by major telecoms it will be really easy for spies, hackers, disgruntled employees and other troublemakers to have their way with the system. Can't tell if his gadget is supposed to do that or will just be a big access point.

In theory you can use the public networks and remain secure if you use strong end-to-end encryption. Unfortunately, all closed-source commercial encryption tools -- including the one McAfee is proposing! -- are suspect, as they may contain back doors or intentional weaknesses introduced at the behest of the NSA.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.