Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Can I do this in Windows 8 natively?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Currently I use a program called FlexRaid to give myself some fault protection from loosing a media drive. Currently, I have 2 x 1TB, and a 2TB drive as my media hard-drives. What FlexRaid does is parity all 3 of those drives onto a 4th 2TB drive, similar to certain types of RAID. In the event that one of the drives dies, it can use the files as they are in the other drives plus the parity drive's information to rebuild the dead drive.

I will probably be upgrading to Windows 8 soon to make the transition before 8.1 hits. In that regard, I wouldn't mind using a built in utility to accomplish the above task rather then having to use FlexRaid, however I have not been able to clearly find if the new Windows 8 storage features include what I am looking for. Can someone with a Windows 8 installation lease clarify it for me? Thank you!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Can I do this in Windows 8 natively?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Yes. Google the "Windows 8 Storage Spaces".
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:27 pm

JohnC wrote:
Yes. Google the "Windows 8 Storage Spaces".

Awesome thank your for verifying!

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:28 pm

All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Beware, Storage Spaces has some limitations and isn't very good with managing drives efficiently. In short, you will probably want to keep FlexRAID around. I went with DriveBender (comparable to FlexRAID, perhaps easier to use but less flexible) and have had very few issues so far.

http://helgeklein.com/blog/2012/03/wind ... ign-flaws/

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Beware, Storage Spaces has some limitations and isn't very good with managing drives efficiently. In short, you will probably want to keep FlexRAID around. I went with DriveBender (comparable to FlexRAID, perhaps easier to use but less flexible) and have had very few issues so far.

I was looking into it, and there appears to already be a problem. FlexRaid is equal size on the parity drive as it is to the biggest drive in the parity. It appears the Windows version actually is BIGGER then the biggest drive in parity, I.E. I would have to have a 30GB of free space to parity 20GB of used space. Seems kinda stupid with how parity really works, but leave it to Microsoft to add bloat into the equation.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:

Thanks for that link.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:54 pm

As someone who is familiar with Windows 8 SS (such a bad choice of names, with that acronym) and FlexRAID (and has used DriveBender, too!), they really address different groups.

FlexRAID is for people who would have a huge shiny enterprise level RAID solution, but can't afford it or can't justify the cost. It's not that easy to set up, but it does a fine job and is largely set and forget. The parity and mixed-drive-size options are robust.

Windows 8 Storage Spaces is for people who can't remember if the new Bieber album they downloaded is on D: or E:, and have no backups nor any idea what parity is.

Both do a job well, there is some overlap, but the focus is very different.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Forge wrote:
SS (such a bad choice of names, with that acronym)

Speaking of bad acronyms, how about "Personal Navigation System" as the name for a potential new product? Taken from (recent) real life...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Forge wrote:

Speaking of bad acronyms, how about "Personal Navigation System" as the name for a potential new product? Taken from (recent) real life...

Our HR department was just given a presentation about a Personnel Management System. I snickered, said "b**chy" and left. When asked later, I swore I said "b**chin". Dodged a bullet there. Everyone involved found it more entertaining than upsetting.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Forge wrote:

We use the same acronym for Apple's Push Notification Service.

>_<
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2