Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Interfacing digital camera with Android tablet

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:32 pm

So a little background first.

My 50-something mother is a person that I would describe as "technology resistant". It's not that she doesn't like the idea of computers, or has no interest them - she just does not understand them. This has been the case since our inherited Tandy 1000 all the way up to her current Windows Vista computer. She barely gets by with the things I show her how to do, but any time she needs to do something that deviates from what she knows, she gets stuck & completely lost. I'm pretty confident by now that this will never change ... sort of.

One or two Christmases ago, my father gave her a Kobo Arc. I didn't think this was a very good idea, but she shocked the entire family by taking to it like a fish to water. She uses it for everything, and is generally not very far from it when she's at home (maybe another Christmas will have something with a 3G/4G connection :P). She baffles me by being completely comfortable with it. It's almost a perfect situation.

Except there are currently some things she can't do with it. For example, I can't figure out a simple way for her to get pictures off her point & shoot camera onto the tablet. I have looked into it, and to be able to plug any kind of adapter into the Arc it would need USB host capability, which it doesn't have. It may or may not have an internal micro-SD card, but accessing it is not trivial - it wasn't designed to be removable, you have to take apart the tablet to touch it.

So do you folks have any suggestions? Another tablet might be the simplest answer, but it would have to have a similarly simple interface. If it is even slightly more complicated I'm worried it will bring down the whole house of cards. If there was some way for a camera to interact with it via Wifi that could work, but it would have to be directly through the tablet and not through something like camera->cloud->tablet (too many steps).

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Interfacing digital camera with Android tablet

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:36 pm

www.eye.fi
It's only for SD card cameras, though.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm

JohnC wrote:
http://www.eye.fi

The Mobi might do the trick, maybe. I see a whole bunch of things that would drive me crazy, but my mom will probably never notice or care :P

prb123
Gerbil

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Don't know much about the Kobo Arc, but it looks like it has full Play Store access. Can you install Dropbox and then Sync Pics from the Windows Vista PC?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:37 pm

prb123 wrote:
Don't know much about the Kobo Arc, but it looks like it has full Play Store access. Can you install Dropbox and then Sync Pics from the Windows Vista PC?

The OP sort of implied that if you can bypass the PC, it will be better. Since the mother is scared of the PC, but is very comfortable with the tablet. This basically rules out USB OTG, or using a card reader to get the pictures to the PC and then transfer, via MTP/UMS, to the tablet. And with the mention of "eventually getting 3G", I would say directly to Cloud is not going to work either at this point.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:28 pm

There are ways to do this, but none that are seamless. For example, my 6D has WiFi- the same kind of WiFi support that's on Canon's point-and-shoot cameras, and from experience, it's not something I'd want to impose on the tech-averse. It does actually work very, very well, mind you.

So here's another suggestion- replace the tablet with a tablet that has a camera. It'll be faster and cheaper, and far easier to adapt to. And I realize that a tablet camera isn't a point-and-shoot, no zoom and smaller sensor and all that, but it's not like your average point-and-shoot is really any sort of stellar performer either.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:22 am

TwistedKestrel wrote:
JohnC wrote:
http://www.eye.fi

The Mobi might do the trick, maybe. I see a whole bunch of things that would drive me crazy, but my mom will probably never notice or care :P

It works pretty well, the only major annoyance is that you have to keep the camera powered for images to be transferred (some cameras have a shut-off timer which should be adjusted to highest value or turned off).

The only other choice would be buying an inexpensive P&S with this function built-in, something like
http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Cyber-shot ... /DSCWX80/R
Even that would be better than any crappy built-in cameras in any tablet (unfortunately Nokia will never be making Android-based tablets).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people