Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

A perfect automobile

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:12 pm

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re: A perfect automobile

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Depends, not perfect for a family with 2 kids under the age of 5, and I don't think it would do well on the rough roads of Timmins, nor the winters.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

End User
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:27 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Depends, not perfect for a family with 2 kids under the age of 5, and I don't think it would do well on the rough roads of Timmins, nor the winters.

Not the perfect automobile. A perfect automobile.

Getting road salt on this 911 would be a crime.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:34 pm

You try driving this in a New England or Canadian winter with summer tires and see how "perfect" you'll feel sliding all over the road with that rear-engine, rwd biased pig of a car. Sorry, just not a fan of Porsche.

Also, I've driven an old 911 before. A fun car but far from perfect.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:09 am

:lol:
Lightweight. Manual transmission. Absolutely perfect in every detail. Will provide more pure driving experience than that toy for pretentious armchair "driving enthusiasts" :P

Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:36 am

Opinions the thread....

The perfect automobile in the physical sense would be something akin to perpetual motion machine (near 100% efficiency).
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 am

Right now to me the perfect automobile is something with a bit of storage capacity and plenty of seating. Big and safe are the two primary goals here. You see perfection, I see something that will slide off the road in a stiff crosswind.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

TheEmrys

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:17 am

A 1969 911? I suppose its pretty cool..... Wait, that's the new one? Are you sure?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:41 pm

I currently drive a BMW M3, but I previously drive a 911 Turbo and umm I've never had issues with snow or crosswinds.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:24 pm

keltor wrote:
I currently drive a BMW M3, but I previously drive a 911 Turbo and umm I've never had issues with snow or crosswinds.

On extreme performance summer tires? :o
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Still too heavy. Dump the passenger seat, floor mats and stereo system. :)

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
keltor wrote:

On extreme performance summer tires? :o

Maybe he changed the tires for winter?

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:35 pm

BiffStroganoffsky wrote:
Still too heavy. Dump the passenger seat, floor mats and stereo system. :)

Right on. Lotus Exige is better at being a 911 than the 911 is.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Singer Porsches are things of beauty.

I tried to convince my wife to let me buy a red '86 911 coupe when I was car shopping about a month ago, but she didn't go for it. :)

Synchromesh wrote:
Also, I've driven an old 911 before. A fun car but far from perfect.

Aren't the imperfections what they call character? Isn't that the reason why old MGs are better then Miatas?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:40 pm

I think the Miata's pretty good tbh

We call it the Mazda MX-5 over here but it's frugal, fast enough to be immensely fun without being so fast that you'll instantly get a driving ban and/or fatality in the event of a crash. Unlike the Porsche, the engine is between the wheels so you get better overall handling and as long as you're on interesting roads, handling > speed.

On top of that it's a soft-top so you get the wind in your hair all summer and it's also Japanese which is about the only country who make more reliable cars than Germany.

I don't have an MX-5, but if I didn't live in a city only 5 miles from my place of work, I'd own two.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Singer Porsches are things of beauty.

I tried to convince my wife to let me buy a red '86 911 coupe when I was car shopping about a month ago, but she didn't go for it. :)

I've been looking at SC coupes. I'd rather have a '65-73, but I can actually afford an SC or 80's 930. The early ones are just prettier, though the later 70's models had a tendency to blow the engine up. The wide flares of the Singer just take away from the beauty of a vintage 911 for me, but it's still gorgeous. Also, while the gulf blue is wonderful, I think there are other colors and combos that look a little better.

Chrispy_ wrote:
Unlike the Porsche, the engine is between the wheels so you get better overall handling and as long as you're on interesting roads, handling > speed.

But it's the WRONG wheels! </sarcasm>
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Aren't the imperfections what they call character? Isn't that the reason why old MGs are better then Miatas?

No, that's why the English drink their beer warm, because Lucas made the refrigerators.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I think the Miata's pretty good tbh

We call it the Mazda MX-5 over here but it's frugal, fast enough to be immensely fun without being so fast that you'll instantly get a driving ban and/or fatality in the event of a crash.

I like them too. It's hard to beat something that handles well, and who's limits can be reached. I've been tempted to buy a Mazdaspeed version on a number of occasions, and if I didn't have to shuttle around three little dogs and miscellaneous computer gear at random times I would own one.

Mazda officially calls it the MX-5 Miata here, but many people refer to it by it's original name.

lonleyppl wrote:
I've been looking at SC coupes. I'd rather have a '65-73, but I can actually afford an SC or 80's 930. The early ones are just prettier, though the later 70's models had a tendency to blow the engine up. The wide flares of the Singer just take away from the beauty of a vintage 911 for me, but it's still gorgeous. Also, while the gulf blue is wonderful, I think there are other colors and combos that look a little better.

Yeah, the older ones have cleaner styling, and they're much less pretentious. The 911 was originally an everyman's sports car, but it went upscale. The '80s 911s are just the ones I remember from watching car races and car mags when I was a kid, so it's kind of nostalgic.

A lot of people like the turbo or race car look of the wide rear wheels. I don't mind it, and it does help with handling since it's a rear engined car.

For me, it's Guard's Red, but I like red cars.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:04 pm

The thing is, a brand-new 911 performs better and costs less than a retro-mod Singer.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:10 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The thing is, a brand-new 911 performs better and costs less than a retro-mod Singer.

But there's something about learning to control the tail-happiness of original 911s. Besides, an early-70's RS just plain looks "right". I think it's the Fuchs wheels.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm

I won't pretend to know what the brand new 911 or the Singer drives like, but the Singer isn't about specs, it's about driving experience with enough specs to keep up.

I suspect that even if the Singer's slower, it'll be more fun.

(Me, I'd be happy with a 1976 912E. Not as ass-heavy as the 911, so it's less likely to kill you, and it'd almost certainly be a good slow-car-fast car.)

In reality, I'd probably just go for another Miata. Loved my 92, even if it was completely beater-spec.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Besides, an early-70's RS just plain looks "right". I think it's the Fuchs wheels.

It's slightly more than just the wheels, but they're the easiest to identify component. If you look at the first picture below, you'll see the 50th anniversary wheels, designed to recall the Fuchs. Which weren't the original wheels anyways, so oh well. They're certainly the most iconic.

JustAnEngineer wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it could give a base 997 or 991 a pretty good challenge though. The 964 chassis may not be as technologically advanced, but I'm sure Singer has put a lot of work into it, and the engine is a race-tuned 996 GT3 engine...
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:40 pm

I don't know what it is that turns me off from the car, but the insides have this dated late 70's/early 80's feel to them that seems tacky and off-putting to me. I doubt I'd ever own one because I'm too practical for it :lol: but the model itself is pretty sharpe. One of our VPs has a ton of nicer sports cars. The Porsche he has (forgive my car ignorance incoming) is newer - white with a single centered exhaust. Pretty nice. Truth be told I like his orange Audi a lot better. He's from London, and probably well affluent before he took the position. I've seen a few other more exotic cars that I don't know the name of in his parking spot :lol:

If i had the money, and to be clear I don't, I've always had a hardon for McLarens.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/193003/mcla ... rear-wing/ Something about the smoothness of it all and I really love that (I think Carbon) textured look blended to the paintjob. Are they even street legal in the US of A?

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:44 pm

I didn't think the P1 was actually even in production yet.

But, given that the MP4-12C is street legal here, I suspect the P1 will be too.

Also, Singer was going for a 1960s/early 1970s aesthetic, I think. It's just that the 911 interior never changed that much from 1963 all the way through to 1995. They recontoured it once, I think, when they added vents on the dash.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:05 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
I don't know what it is that turns me off from the car, but the insides have this dated late 70's/early 80's feel to them that seems tacky and off-putting to me.

One man's "dated" is another man's "retro" (or "nostalgic" depending on the person in question's age). It's all a matter of perspective.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
I don't know what it is that turns me off from the car, but the insides have this dated late 70's/early 80's feel to them that seems tacky and off-putting to me.

One man's "dated" is another man's "retro" (or "nostalgic" depending on the person in question's age). It's all a matter of perspective.

Agree completely. I think I'd like it more with a different paintjob and interior but that's probably what makes the car in this regard.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:36 am

End User wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

Not the perfect automobile. A perfect automobile.

Getting road salt on this 911 would be a crime.

How about a perfect sports car?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:45 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Of course, but they aren't air-cooled, as light, as simple to maintain, as durable, or as iconic as the classic '63-'97 Porsches. Singers are based on '90-'94 911s which are the next to last evolution of the original 911.

There really isn't any reason to own classic cars, or retro-mods, if performance is your criteria. We have spaceships like the Nissan GT-R now that only need the driver to press the pedal and turn the wheel.

steelcity_ballin wrote:

The interior is analog and beautiful. I'm not a fan of interiors with lots of techno doodads. I think the Unix command line is beautiful, so what do I know. :)

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Agree completely. I think I'd like it more with a different paintjob and interior but that's probably what makes the car in this regard.

The Singer website has a gallery of several cars they've done. (http://singervehicledesign.com/)

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
I think the Unix command line is beautiful, so what do I know. :)

:lol: I'm with you on that one! It's really the concepts behind it (not its physical appearance) that make it "beautiful" though.

A CLI interface for driving a car would be a truly terrifying thing. :o
driver@car:~$ srop
srop: command not found
driver@car:~$ dtop
dtop: command not found
driver@car:~$ sto
<loud crunching sound>
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.