Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

stephenlevangie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Need help finding a good router

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi I'm obviously new here and hopefully have posted this in the right place without breaking any rules. I'm looking at getting a new router but am having a hard time finding one that fits my needs. All the reviews I've read seem extremely biased. So here is what my issue is. The room with my PC and ps3 is located above a garage and was first only meant for storage before I had it finished. ( metallic firewalls around the garage ) Now I have a very poor connection up here. I currently have a dlink dir 615. I would like suggestions on the best router to switch to. I'm really only interested in range/signal strength, ease of setup and speed. I'll be using a ps4 next month so I'm looking for something that will give me good use with it and a PC. While I'm not on a super tight budget I don't want to break the bank on this if I don't have to. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Need help finding a good router

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 am

Where are you locating the router, in the room atop the garage? If so and as the shielding may block some signals then you'll need a wireless router there with a wired connection to your internet source. The top of a stairwell connecting the two areas would be a good place to station the router.

If you're not doing anything fancy a the Cisco Linksys EA4500 would be an easy and reliable yet not too expensive choice. In my experience mid-to-high end Cisco models get less disrupted over longer ranges than anything other than expensive 802.11AC gear like the Asus RT-AC66U. Just be sure to opt out of the Cloud Connect configuration option.

stephenlevangie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into that model for sure. Unfortunately my internet hook up is about 30 feet away in another room and with the design of the house it's impractical to run cables up to the room above the garage. But I have an almost perfect line of sight through the door ways to the router. So hopefully the router you suggested has enough power to shoot the gap.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:31 am

I would do the jump to the Wireless AC

This Cisco is the one I would likely buy if I was due to buy again:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cisco-dual- ... Id=8723078

I have found that the change to an AC router without even upgrading all the wireless cards helped me through the house giving me 3/5 bars in a room that never had coverage before.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:46 am

stephenlevangie wrote:
I have an almost perfect line of sight through the door ways to the router.

Is the "hallway" from your room to the router carpeted? If so you should be able to tuck an ethernet cable underneath the floor trim (the trim is typically set at top-of-carpet elevation, a ruler will help you push it under). Get a white cable to match the carpet color and nobody will notice.

I fear that buying a new router won't improve your situation enough to warrant the cost. I know, it's hard to tell without trying. I guess if you buy the one at Best Buy that Arvald suggested, you could always return it. Shoddy consumer practice aside.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

SpoCk0nd0pe
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 am

If you want the connection for gaming I'd look into cabled solutions.

Maybe this is an alternative for you:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-PA2010KIT

You might have bad luck with the powercables in your house though.
Last edited by SpoCk0nd0pe on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

stephenlevangie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:46 pm

While I have almost direct line of sight. I go from one bedroom across a hallway into another bedroom through another door then up 4 steps. All of which is hardwood. So in order to run a cable. I would have to go through the ceiling and there isn't any duct work running that way. So id have to put a whole lot of holes in things. I know cable is the way to go for gaming. But you gotta deal with the cards dealt to you ( and the room the wife lets you have). Thanks for all the ideas tho guys

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:49 pm

stephenlevangie wrote:
there isn't any duct work running that way.

No ventillation to your lair???? You really are in the dog house. (electric heater and window AC unit?) Running the wire through the duct work was actually my other (secondary) suggestion. Back in college we did that (in one vent, out the other). Worked fine.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

stephenlevangie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Electric heater. But window AC? I wish. The one window in the room doesn't open and only serves to increase the green house affect in the summer. You get a computer tv and ps3 running in that room it's a wonder they haven't melted yet. That power line idea that someone mentioned before. Can you do more then 2 of those. If it's possible it would be perfect to do a 3 point connection. One to modem,ps3/4 and computer. Would that work or is it designed to be point a to b only ?

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:45 am

Wired connections are the best for me. Maybe you could just wire your connection but make sure it is well hidden and not prone to damage... It works best, i have a connection here using wire and its so damn good standing 3 years now unlike my wifi, though i only use my wifi for quick browsing using my ipod touch.

SpoCk0nd0pe
Gerbil In Training

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:16 am

stephenlevangie wrote:
While I have almost direct line of sight. I go from one bedroom across a hallway into another bedroom through another door then up 4 steps. All of which is hardwood. So in order to run a cable. I would have to go through the ceiling and there isn't any duct work running that way. So id have to put a whole lot of holes in things. I know cable is the way to go for gaming. But you gotta deal with the cards dealt to you ( and the room the wife lets you have). Thanks for all the ideas tho guys

But the powerline cables are already in place :)

About 3 way connections: I doubt they can work like a hub. But if you want to connect both devices, there are models like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WG6JJO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009WG6JJO&linkCode=as2&tag=bpalstly-20&utm_campaign=Listly&utm_medium=list&utm_source=listly
Or you can just buy 2 twins, maybe with AC pass through (because they should be plugged directly into the wall):

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=1658&model=TL-PA4010PKIT

Just do a little search, you will probably find what suits you.

Skispcs
Gerbil In Training

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:04 am

You mentioned direct line of sight multiple times.
Probably out of your price range but maybe an optical link.
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... e-ceiling/
OR
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... wi-fi-wont

Maybe you could try a directional antenna from the wireless router that points towards your open door.

The most cost effective would probably be the powerline network.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Powerline stuff works really well in my experience. I used a ZyXEL 200mbps powerline adapter for a number of months and it was flawless. I chose the 200mbps over the 500mbps because all the reseach I did before hand suggested it's not worth the extra money.

I had modem--> upsairs router --> upstairs ZyXEL --> downstairs ZyXEL --> router --> PC,PS3, etc.

So, unless you can move your current router to your computer room you'll still need a second one, but you won't have to worry about amazing range.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:49 pm

DPete27 wrote:
No ventillation to your lair???? You really are in the dog house. (electric heater and window AC unit?) Running the wire through the duct work was actually my other (secondary) suggestion. Back in college we did that (in one vent, out the other). Worked fine.

If you do that, make sure to use plenum rated cable. It smokes less then riser rated cable, so in the event of a fire, it won't contribute to the smoke in the air ways.

stephenlevangie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I never even thought of the power line adapters as a fix. I went with this model here http://m.futureshop.ca/?lang=en#/catalo ... lang=en-CA

It has 3 Ethernet ports and the ability to install a third or fourth unit to expand the network (a wifi one to). I think the best feature is the three ports are designated different priority levels. So I can put my gaming stuff on the top and the wife's face booking junk on the bottom, so she doesn't get me lag killed. Like when she was eating up the poor wifi connection.