Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Graphics are not a big truck (or, why we drive sportscars)

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:46 pm

SO, after my discussion in the other thread with End User, and further consideration on my automotive analogy (which, by the way, I still think was pretty valid), I had a brainwave.

Now, I don't know a whole lot about graphics (or, indeed, most computing) at a low level, so my thinking here may be unsound or based on fallacious assumptions, but it seems to me that we talk an awful lot about proper utilization of multi-core processors in a CPU context, yet it's never really discussed in terms of GPUs.

I assume, naturally, that this is because of the embarrassingly parallel nature of graphics work, since because of that it's relatively easy to utilize the entirety of even an enormous GPU like GK110. Still, I have to wonder; is there a relevant division between "single-threaded" performance (the performance of a single compute unit or shader core, influenced primarily by GPU core clock) and "multi-threaded" performance (the performance of the GPU as a whole, primarily influenced by core count?

Obviously nothing on a GPU runs "single-threaded", but perhaps a lighter load might be unable to utilize all of a big GPU's compute resources?

Microsoft claims that the Xbox One is competitive graphically with the Playstation 4 primarily because it runs its smaller GPU at a higher clock, discussions of that machine's eSRAM aside. Reading this, along with my own observations about my GTX Titan (where framerates are sometimes mediocre, but do not decrease when I raise settings, sometimes to absurd levels like 32xS AA),and further consideration of my analogy led me to wonder about the above question. Further increasing my curiosity are the facts that I've never seen anyone discuss this at all before, which leads me to believe that either A) I'm totally off the mark, B) everyone already knows this and I'm an imbecile, or C) I'm a genius, which is terribly unlikely. I'd love to hear some feedback from some folks with experience working with GPUs at a low level!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Graphics are not a big truck (or, why we drive sportscar

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:11 pm

auxy wrote:
Microsoft claims that the Xbox One is competitive graphically with the Playstation 4 primarily because it runs its smaller GPU at a higher clock, discussions of that machine's eSRAM aside.

People who code for both consoles seem to claim different results:
http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-s ... rformance/
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Graphics are not a big truck (or, why we drive sportscar

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 pm

JohnC wrote:
People who code for both consoles seem to claim different results:
http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-s ... rformance/
Well, naturally. 6.6% of clock speed is not going to make up for 50% less CUs. Besides which, neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One have the kind of massive, monolithic GPUs I'm talking about, and the intense games they'll be asked to run aren't the kind of light loads I was talking about either. :3c