Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

win 7 sound recording without micro delay

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:36 pm

can some one advise an idiot proof set up record a guitar using adobe audition? i tried all inputs on my sound card but all i get is very compressed sound and tiny, micro delay. whats the best way to analog record sound coming from a line 6 amp via direct output and auzentech prelude? i want to be able to reproduce the amps sound and be able to listen to what im playing on computers speakers. any help is greatly appreciated.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawodowy_fotograf/

i7 7700K--Gigabyte Z270x--EVGA GTX 1080--32GB DDR4 3200--DELL 4K--Crucial 500GB SSD--WD 2x4TB--Seagate 4TB--G-Drive 3TB (external)
5dmkIII

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: win 7 sound recording without micro delay

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:27 pm

What exactly do you mean by "very compressed sound"? Clipped/distorted? How are you connecting the amp to the soundcard (i.e. what output from the amp, and what input to the soundcard)? If the amp has a speaker out only (no line level out), you will need to use some sort of dummy load to avoid overloading (or even potentially damaging... hopefully you haven't done that already!) the input to the soundcard.

To minimize the delay you need to use ASIO-compatible drivers for the soundcard.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:38 pm

There will always be some delay. We call that "latency", and it exists even in the fastest systems. But yes, you need to use a sound card that supports ASIO drivers and if at all possible, be sure to use the manufacturer's ASIO drivers for that device.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:49 pm

2x4 wrote:
can some one advise an idiot proof set up record a guitar using adobe audition? i tried all inputs on my sound card but all i get is very compressed sound and tiny, micro delay. whats the best way to analog record sound coming from a line 6 amp via direct output and auzentech prelude? i want to be able to reproduce the amps sound and be able to listen to what im playing on computers speakers. any help is greatly appreciated.

A couple of things, really. Few things can be idiot proof; they're too inventive. I would give Audacity a try just to record inputs and make sure levels are OK. To record the 'analog sound' of your amp, you're going to need a microphone. The best way to do that is with a mixer. You should be using a mixer anyway. Using a sound card, you are recording the line level output of the amp (unless your amp uses the headphone output), which omits the room sound at the very least, but you'll be messing around all day to set the levels correctly with the Prelude's line-in. Mixer is the way to go. Second thing, the Auzentech Prelude has ASIO drivers, but you can also use ASIO4ALL if you want to try something different. Thirdly, I question why you find 'micro delay' anything to worry about since you can edit that out anyway, unless it's en performance.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 am

Some manufacturers, such as Blue, do make USB microphones. They appear in your Windows device manager and can be instanced in your DAW software as an input; possibly one of many. But I prefer to use standard microphones and run them into one of the line inputs on my soundcard's breakout box. That way I have control via the pots on the breakout box and at every stage in the DAW. And I can use standard mic cables without worrying about my USB cable being too short.

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "very compressed sound"? Clipped/distorted? How are you connecting the amp to the soundcard (i.e. what output from the amp, and what input to the soundcard)? If the amp has a speaker out only (no line level out), you will need to use some sort of dummy load to avoid overloading (or even potentially damaging... hopefully you haven't done that already!) the input to the soundcard.

To minimize the delay you need to use ASIO-compatible drivers for the soundcard.

by very compressed i meant exactly what you said - clipped. I have a very nice sustain, distorion, some delay and compression on my amp but the sound i get is nowhere near that.

back in the days of win xp i used first generation of Line 6 POD, plugged it into aux of my sound card (forgot what i had at that time) and i was able to record along the drum line, base or any other backing tracks. what i have now is a more expanded version of POD (not sure if any of you guys are into guitars) with DIRECT OUT. i was hoping i could use that, plug and play.

i7 7700K--Gigabyte Z270x--EVGA GTX 1080--32GB DDR4 3200--DELL 4K--Crucial 500GB SSD--WD 2x4TB--Seagate 4TB--G-Drive 3TB (external)
5dmkIII

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:15 pm

drsauced wrote:
2x4 wrote:

A couple of things, really. Few things can be idiot proof; they're too inventive. I would give Audacity a try just to record inputs and make sure levels are OK. To record the 'analog sound' of your amp, you're going to need a microphone. The best way to do that is with a mixer. You should be using a mixer anyway. Using a sound card, you are recording the line level output of the amp (unless your amp uses the headphone output), which omits the room sound at the very least, but you'll be messing around all day to set the levels correctly with the Prelude's line-in. Mixer is the way to go. Second thing, the Auzentech Prelude has ASIO drivers, but you can also use ASIO4ALL if you want to try something different. Thirdly, I question why you find 'micro delay' anything to worry about since you can edit that out anyway, unless it's en performance.

Well, what i used to do is i would play along do different backing tracks, or other stuff i would previously recorded. but just as i explained in the other post, i used xp at that time and things changed a little now. i didnt use a mixer because Line 6 POD had all i needed and i would do the rest in audition or at that time cool edit pro.

5dmkIII

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Please post the exact model of your Line6 amp so I can guide you to where to connect things

It's a modelling amp, so chances are that you're pulling the actual amp-before-cabinet (or after cabinet but before mic) sound.

To the rest of the guys: in modelling gear, if you're recording from it, you usually have outputs that have cabinet and mic emulation. Signal chain, brackets denoting modelling (emulation):

(while playing)
Guitar-> [ amp ] -> [ cabinet ] -> ears

(while recording)
Guitar-> [ amp ] -> [ cabinet ] -> [ microphone ] -> ears
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

morphine wrote:
Please post the exact model of your Line6 amp so I can guide you to where to connect things

It's a modelling amp, so chances are that you're pulling the actual amp-before-cabinet (or after cabinet but before mic) sound.

To the rest of the guys: in modelling gear, if you're recording from it, you usually have outputs that have cabinet and mic emulation. Signal chain, brackets denoting modelling (emulation):

(while playing)
Guitar-> [ amp ] -> [ cabinet ] -> ears

(while recording)
Guitar-> [ amp ] -> [ cabinet ] -> [ microphone ] -> ears

exactly. i have the spider IV 75w. thanks!

5dmkIII

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Use the Direct Output jack on the back of the amp. Connect it with a regular cable (NOT A GUITAR CABLE) to your Auzentech Prelude, to the LINE input (not the mic input). You're going to need a 1/4"-to-minijack adapter or vice-versa, depending on the cable you have. Also make sure to use the Direct Out, not the Speaker Outs, unless you enjoy sparks and burn electronics.

Chances are that you mistakenly connected it to the mic input on the soundcard (been there, done that), that would be why it's compressed, clipping, etc. Make sure that the line input is selected as your recording source.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:10 pm

morphine wrote:
Use the Direct Output jack on the back of the amp. Connect it with a regular cable (NOT A GUITAR CABLE) to your Auzentech Prelude, to the LINE input (not the mic input). You're going to need a 1/4"-to-minijack adapter or vice-versa, depending on the cable you have. Also make sure to use the Direct Out, not the Speaker Outs, unless you enjoy sparks and burn electronics.

Chances are that you mistakenly connected it to the mic input on the soundcard (been there, done that), that would be why it's compressed, clipping, etc. Make sure that the line input is selected as your recording source.

got past that past now. thanks - i can acutally hear what im playing via speakers with latency. im however having some problems setting up the right recording device in audition.

5dmkIII

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 pm

a) Install the Prelude's ASIO drivers if you haven't done so already. Or if there's no such explicit option, update to the latest driver pack.
b) In Audition's preferences, tell it that you want to use ASIO for input. At this point, don't mess with the buffers yet - expect some latency. Check that the sound is okay. Note: ASIO mode usually cuts out everything else playing on the machine, since often it works in exclusive mode. This is a Good Thing (tm).
c) After verifying that it's at least working, start pulling the buffers down to decrease latency, but until you get crackling sound. There's a limit here, that's usually related to the drivers and your CPU, more the former than the latter. Take this process very slowly, and use a clean guitar sound as using a high-gain sound might mask crackling if you're doing short test runs.

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 pm

morphine wrote:
a) Install the Prelude's ASIO drivers if you haven't done so already. Or if there's no such explicit option, update to the latest driver pack.
b) In Audition's preferences, tell it that you want to use ASIO for input. At this point, don't mess with the buffers yet - expect some latency. Check that the sound is okay. Note: ASIO mode usually cuts out everything else playing on the machine, since often it works in exclusive mode. This is a Good Thing (tm).
c) After verifying that it's at least working, start pulling the buffers down to decrease latency, but until you get crackling sound. There's a limit here, that's usually related to the drivers and your CPU, more the former than the latter. Take this process very slowly, and use a clean guitar sound as using a high-gain sound might mask crackling if you're doing short test runs.

got it all working. so far so good. but as far as point C - where do i find buffer adjustment?

why is the sound recording got so mixed up? like i said before, back in the xp days, id just plug and play, no latency, no delay...

5dmkIII

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:10 pm

2x4 wrote:
why is the sound recording got so mixed up? like i said before, back in the xp days, id just plug and play, no latency, no delay...

Sound stack got completely changed in Vista/7 compared to XP. It's also why hardware-accelerated sound cards no longer accelerate anything.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:12 pm

2x4 wrote:
got it all working. so far so good. but as far as point C - where do i find buffer adjustment?

Unfortunately, the buffer adjustment differs from soundcard to soundcard, but usually in your audio application (Audition), in the same place where you select the kernel type (ASIO) and the device (Auzentech ASIO), there's usually a button for pulling up the soundcard's ASIO control panel. For example, in Reaper (another DAW), there's a button that explicitly says "ASIO configuration". I trust you're using native ASIO and not ASIO4ALL?

As for the other issue... well, Microsoft thought it wise to make a new audio API that superseded XP's, which relied fully on the hardware. Good idea. Then they made one that sucks testicles. Very bad idea. They could have snatched the recording/mixing market away from Apple if only they made the audio kernel low-latency by default (even if with specific types of soundcards or interfaces only).

Beats me.

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:14 pm

another question i have is - how would the onboard sound from my mobo (in sig) work here?

5dmkIII

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm

2x4 wrote:
another question i have is - how would the onboard sound from my mobo (in sig) work here?

Not very well. For low latency recording, ASIO is where it's at, and I haven't seen one onboard audio implementation with ASIO drivers. Besides, the Prelude's inputs' frequency response and SnR are bound to be way better than the onboard card's.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm

2x4 wrote:

Since Vista/7 moved all audio processing to the CPU, the quality and low latency of any sound card or onboard mobo sound chip will be determined by the ASIO drivers.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
2x4 wrote:

Since Vista/7 moved all audio processing to the CPU, the quality and low latency of any sound card or onboard mobo sound chip will be determined by the ASIO drivers.

Not entirely. A decent discrete card will tend to have much better ADCs (and a quieter analog front end feeding them), which is going to be important for this particular use case.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:47 am

I would go with a relatively inexpensive USB interface that supports "zero-latency" monitoring. Basically you won't hear any effects (if they're applied in real-time) but you can mute the playback within your software and just have what's going in come right back out into your headphones. There's a big pile of companies making these interfaces for $150 or less. You'd get by with an M-Audio M-Track for $99 or if you want a nice big step up in quality for $50 more, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I have a Focusrite 8i6 and I'm really happy with it.

Also, adjustable gain on the USB interfaces will help you avoid clipping. Both of these interfaces have ASIO drivers for low latency playback and come bundled with starter versions of multi-track DAWs. The M-Audio has Pro Tools Express, which is NOT supported on Windows 8 (officially) and the Focusrite I have came with a lite version of Ableton Live.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:04 am

derFunk, how low did you manage to get your Focusrite's latency?

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:40 am

While I haven't used one yet, I am seriously considering getting a focusrite 2i2.

Would work well as a DI with Amplitube or Guitar Rig with the right preset. I have been trying Amplitube with the RockSmith USB cable and it's been pretty awful. However, I have heard some really good sounding clips on youtube with Amplitube and a similar USB interface so I'm going to try the 2i2 and see how it goes.

When noise isn't an issue, I just plug in to my Mid 90's Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and blast music from my PC. But for tracking guitars without having to worry about noise, mic placement, etc.... I want to get a 2i2.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
When noise isn't an issue, I just plug in to my Mid 90's Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and blast music from my PC. But for tracking guitars without having to worry about noise, mic placement, etc.... I want to get a 2i2.

Man, you got a Dual Rec, why are you bothering with modelling? :o

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:07 am

Because the Dual Rec only has 2 volume settings: Loud and Louder.

I live in a condo so I can't be blasting it too late.
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:55 am

morphine wrote:
derFunk, how low did you manage to get your Focusrite's latency?

when I'm talking about zero latency, I'm muting the record-armed track in Pro Tools and just hearing the audio as it goes into the DAW. Lots of interfaces have something like that.

The best I've been able to do in Pro Tools 11 hearing the audio go into the interface, through the DAW, and come back out is around 11.5ms round trip reported by the Scarlett Mix software. That's a setting of 5ms in the software, plus what appears to be 6.5ms of processing delay. At 48khz that's something like 300 samples. I don't do that with guitar, though. I prefer to put an Audix i5 on my amp cabinet and go plugin-free, so I can do the zero latency thing.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks the whole point! :lol: (I understand the reasons).

If I were in the states I'd totally buy that thing off you. Especially given that it's a mid 90's model.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:00 am

While I haven't used one yet, I am seriously considering getting a focusrite 2i2.

Would work well as a DI with Amplitube or Guitar Rig with the right preset. I have been trying Amplitube with the RockSmith USB cable and it's been pretty awful. However, I have heard some really good sounding clips on youtube with Amplitube and a similar USB interface so I'm going to try the 2i2 and see how it goes.

I think you'll be happy when compared to the Rocksmith setup. Unless it has ASIO drivers, you're probably hearing stuff like half a second or more behind your playing. I do a lot of practicing on my PC with Guitar Rig when I just want to set up quickly and don't want to blast my family. I try to restrict my in-home amp use to recording.

edit: something you MIGHT want to try is ASIO4All with the Rocksmith cable, if you haven't. Assumign it also has an output that is. If not, then you'll never hear it. :lol:

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:38 am

Yeah, I'm using ASIO4ALL with the Rocksmith cable. But it's seriously lacking in sound quality and dynamic range. I thought maybe Amplitube was just a bad modeler but a quick youtube search for 5150esque sounds proved otherwise. I was just messing around a while ago and wondered what I would be able to get away with using the Rocksmith cable.

I've actually barely ever even played Rocksmith because all of my guitars are very downtuned (C standard, sometimes dropped A#) and use heavy gauge strings, and everything in Rocksmith is in standard tuning, a feat that would be impossible with 12-56 strings. I suppose I could use a pitch shifter to compensate, but ain't nobody got time fo' dat...

EDIT: I was also considering getting a Mackie Blackjack, but the googles tells me their driver support is bad.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:14 pm

I suppose I could use a pitch shifter to compensate, but ain't nobody got time fo' dat...

A capo, say, oh the, huh... 20th fret or so. Heh.

EDIT: I was also considering getting a Mackie Blackjack, but the googles tells me their driver support is bad.

Having deal with this same dilemma, unless you want to heavily manipulate sound and do tons of recordings with wildly different tones and many effects, just go hardware with a decent modeler (Line6, Digitech, etc). Easier in the long run, IMO.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:16 pm

morphine wrote:
I suppose I could use a pitch shifter to compensate, but ain't nobody got time fo' dat...

A capo, say, oh the, huh... 20th fret or so. Heh.

Having deal with this same dilemma, unless you want to heavily manipulate sound and do tons of recordings with wildly different tones and many effects, just go hardware with a decent modeler (Line6, Digitech, etc). Easier in the long run, IMO.

I have an old Digitech GNX2 but it's modeling is pretty awful by today's standards. I figure at least with a decent interface like the Focusrite 2i2, I can keep upgrading standalone software as it evolves.

morphine wrote:

Thanks the whole point! :lol: (I understand the reasons).

If I were in the states I'd totally buy that thing off you. Especially given that it's a mid 90's model.

I'd never sell it for the life of me :)

I worked in a hot warehouse all summer to buy it as a poor college student 9 years ago, I plan on owning it until I die.