Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: A perfect automobile

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:19 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
JohnC wrote:
It's not the only "fun" station wagon you can buy...
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models ... avant.html

AudiUSA site does not list it.

zenlessyank wrote:
Two cars that, in my opinion, they never made an ugly one...Porsche & Corvette.

That's just your opinion :wink: The visually unpleasant interior of previous-gen Corvette was widely discussed across many forums and car magazines.
Even the new Corvette is a hodgepodge of various designs - the front looks similar to modern Ferrari models, the side profile reminds me of Nissan's GT-R and the rear was grafted from Camaro :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:24 am

Voldenuit wrote:
The Singer is really nice. not the most rational purchase, but I'm glad beautiful things exist due to the passions of enthusiasts.

I'm also partial to this one - a resto-mod for the MGB in a similar vein to the Singer:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1206_2012_mg_le50_first_drive/

That MGB GT may be even better then the Singer. It's definitely quirkier. If it was the MGB GT V8 using the 3.5L Buick V8, it would win hands down.

JohnC wrote:
zenlessyank wrote:
Two cars that, in my opinion, they never made an ugly one...Porsche & Corvette.

That's just your opinion :wink: The visually unpleasant interior of previous-gen Corvette was widely discussed across many forums and car magazines.
Even the new Corvette is a hodgepodge of various designs - the front looks similar to modern Ferrari models, the side profile reminds me of Nissan's GT-R and the rear was grafted from Camaro :wink:

It's going to take a lot to surpass the C6 in design, in my opinion. Out of all of the models, it is the attractive one.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:55 am

I never personally liked any Corvette model but I agree that the C6 was most tolerable out of all of them, at least from the outside :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:17 am

just brew it! wrote:
A CLI interface for driving a car would be a truly terrifying thing. :o
driver@car:~$ srop
srop: command not found
driver@car:~$ dtop
dtop: command not found
driver@car:~$ sto
<loud crunching sound>

More Like
driver@car:~$ stop
stop: access denied
driver@car:~$ sudo sto*crunch*

(sorry I'm late to the thread, but I had to post this)
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:42 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
That MGB GT may be even better then the Singer. It's definitely quirkier. If it was the MGB GT V8 using the 3.5L Buick V8, it would win hands down.

It's certainly in a price range that mere mortals can afford and, after being stepped on, that Miata motor is pushing power equivalent to a stock Buick/Rover V8 with a lot less weight on the nose end. When you're playing in the small & light end of the sports car market it never hurts to remember Colin Chapman's design rule, namely "add lightness".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:55 am

Never liked Porsche. I guess it's their thing about sticking to the fundamental Porsche DNA that just seems... Old.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Like the Camero the Corvette was only really nice in the 60s. My favorite was the 67 Vette. A sweet ride even today.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:41 pm

JohnC wrote:
I never personally liked any Corvette model but I agree that the C6 was most tolerable out of all of them, at least from the outside :wink:

My favorite part of the Corvette is the large pushrod V8 in the nose. :) I don't really get wrapped up about interiors. As long as I can heel toe, the manual gearshift has a good feel, and the seats are grippy, it's acceptable.

Captain Ned wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

It's certainly in a price range that mere mortals can afford and, after being stepped on, that Miata motor is pushing power equivalent to a stock Buick/Rover V8 with a lot less weight on the nose end. When you're playing in the small & light end of the sports car market it never hurts to remember Colin Chapman's design rule, namely "add lightness".

But it's not a V8. :) The Mazda engine has more horsepower, but less torque then the Buick/Rover V8. How much does the Mazda engine weight? I can't find the figure.

The Rover V8 weights in at 375lbs., and the original Buick alloy engine weights in at 318lbs. I can't find the weight of the 1.8L engine, but I did find a source that said the Buick V8 was 40lbs. lighter. (http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside ... -rover-v8/) It's hard to tell which number they actually mean.

Anyway, the Mazda I4 is a nice upgrade. It would be fun to raid the Flyin' Miata parts catalog to soup up the engine. There are only a couple RWD I4 drivetrains that could be better, but they aren't being manufactured anymore.

I know what you mean. Small sport/sporty cars happen to be some of my favorites. They're light, and they can be run hard without getting too illegal.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
But it's not a V8. :)

As my sports car tendencies run toward Europe in general and the UK in particular (I've got a '73 TR-6) I'm all about I-6 or V-12.
Flatland_Spider wrote:
Anyway, the Mazda I4 is a nice upgrade. It would be fun to raid the Flyin' Miata parts catalog to soup up the engine. There are only a couple RWD I4 drivetrains that could be better, but they aren't being manufactured anymore.

Honda S2000?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
JohnC wrote:

My favorite part of the Corvette is the large pushrod V8 in the nose. :) I don't really get wrapped up about interiors. As long as I can heel toe, the manual gearshift has a good feel, and the seats are grippy, it's acceptable.

A question. I drove truck for far too long and because of that I only occasionally use clutches. Do the modern trannys take this well. It's very nice to just move the stick when it's time without fooling with the pedal on the floor.

Large pushrods are fun, I had a 502 for a while.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Are you talking about clutchless shifting? I've heard it can be done at low enough RPMs from someone who drove Class B trucks, but I've never tried it on any of my cars. On the rare times I've missed a shift, let the clutch out before being fully in gear, there has been an awful grinding sound, so I'm inclined to say no.

There are automated manuals now that are manual transmissions where the clutch is computer controlled. BMW had some SMG (sequential manual gearbox) transmissions, the Smart car has an SMG, the Ford Fiesta has a DSG (dual-clutch sequential gearbox), and Volkswagen has a DSG. I have a DSG in my Golf TDI.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Are you talking about clutchless shifting? I've heard it can be done at low enough RPMs from someone who drove Class B trucks, but I've never tried it on any of my cars. On the rare times I've missed a shift, let the clutch out before being fully in gear, there has been an awful grinding sound, so I'm inclined to say no.

There are automated manuals now that are manual transmissions where the clutch is computer controlled. BMW had some SMG (sequential manual gearbox) transmissions, the Smart car has an SMG, the Ford Fiesta has a DSG (dual-clutch sequential gearbox), and Volkswagen has a DSG. I have a DSG in my Golf TDI.

I drove semi most of my working life. I dunno about class, but the big ones. In Canada we need a class 1 license to drive em'.

You seldom use the clutch. To start off and some downshifts are about the only time you push the pedal down. There are no sycros in a truck tranny and once you get it down it's like butter. The stick just drops right in if your timing is right. The first 4 or 5 gears, depending on the tranny, shift as fast as you can move your hand. You listen to a skilled truck driver take off and you should hear the quick low shifts.

I can shift a car tranny like that too but they are quite different due to the syncros, you have to wait longer for your slot to come around. Missing a downshift on a car tranny might destroy it so I avoid that. ;)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:41 pm

PenGun wrote:
I can shift a car tranny like that too but they are quite different.
http://www.jericoperformance.com/5speedcl.htm
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:48 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
PenGun wrote:
I can shift a car tranny like that too but they are quite different.
http://www.jericoperformance.com/5speedcl.htm

You can bang Lencos all day too.
http://www.lencoracing.com/

Now I let the 4R70W do the work. I do need to J Mod it though and I have the parts, just need some time free.

End User
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:20 pm

lonleyppl wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Besides, an early-70's RS just plain looks "right". I think it's the Fuchs wheels.

It's slightly more than just the wheels, but they're the easiest to identify component. If you look at the first picture below, you'll see the 50th anniversary wheels, designed to recall the Fuchs. Which weren't the original wheels anyways, so oh well. They're certainly the most iconic.

Those rims look just right. I have to say that the 50th Anniversary Edition Coupe looks fantastic.

End User
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:23 pm

ronch wrote:
Never liked Porsche. I guess it's their thing about sticking to the fundamental Porsche DNA that just seems... Old.

Old?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:56 am

PenGun wrote:
You can bang Lencos all day too.
Who needs to change gears?
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ex ... -tech-dept
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:17 am

nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

SuperSpy

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 am

Arclight wrote:

That thing looks amazing but with all 4 wheels shrouded it must turn like a school bus.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:
But it's not a V8. :)

As my sports car tendencies run toward Europe in general and the UK in particular (I've got a '73 TR-6) I'm all about I-6 or V-12.

I have a fondness for 2.0L I4s. Aside from that, I like Boxers, Chevrolet pushrod V8s, and I6s. The UK does have knack for producing some nice machines. Morgan, MG, and TVR are my particular favorites.

Flatland_Spider wrote:

Honda S2000?

Yeah, the drivetrain in the S2000 AP1 is one of them. The other is Nissan's SR20DE/SR20DET in it's longitudinal configuration. The F20C is Honda's masterpiece, and the SR20 is overbuilt.