Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Re: BF4 final retail info

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 am

If you really want that - PM the moderators, I cannot delete my own thread once its posted...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:18 am

Et voila.

Merged.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:08 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Et voila.

Merged.

Moderator Magic... 8)
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: BF4 beta + final retail information

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks Ned. I know its a pet peeve of mine when I search for things its so much easier to go to one thread and look than multiple ones. So much I wish there was an official rule about it. We are a helpful bunch after all.

/enough thread jacking from me.

I cant wait for BF4 (although I didnt play beta)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 am

Wait a second......so the Digital Deluxe is 69.99 and then the 'season pass' is 49.99????

Holy hell if thats true
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 am

It's not really a "season pass" - it includes other benefits like priority queue, "double XP" weekends/weeks, extra Battlepacks and so on. And it is completely optional - I know many people who happily played Operation Metro (and other stock maps) with BF3 without ever buying Premium or anything else, and people can do the same with regular BF4 edition.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:22 am

tanker27 wrote:
Wait a second......so the Digital Deluxe is 69.99 and then the 'season pass' is 49.99????

Holy hell if thats true

from what I saw BF3s premium stuff was pretty awesome. I only ever played Gun Master and Scavenger by the end of it.

I expect good things from BF4s as well, but I don't feel the need to buy it yet.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am

Savyg wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Holy hell if thats true

from what I saw BF3s premium stuff was pretty awesome. I only ever played Gun Master and Scavenger by the end of it.

I expect good things from BF4s as well, but I don't feel the need to buy it yet.

Pretty much. The game, as released, was quite complex and full-featured on it's own; each 'expansion pack' added maps, weapons, vehicles, and game modes that really did extend the playability of the game. Remember that DICE put in RPG-style unlocks; so, if one were to compare BF3/4 to an MMO, you could say that each expansion is like a mini-dungeon with more unique loot to pick up and more unique bosses to fight, or whatever.

It isn't cheap, mind you, but if BF4 delivers anything close to what BF3 delivered content-wise, it's a fair price for what you're getting, all things considered- and yes, I've already picked up all of it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:35 am

Will the 49.99 pack still be around after release, or is it a one time deal? 100 bucks+ is kinda hard to swallow in one go for one game.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:58 am

Premium pack will always be available and will only go down in price over time.

Also, even with regular edition of the game you'll get a free expansion pack, China Rising, for free, as long as you'll preorder the game before the official release day.
Last edited by JohnC on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Yeah, I preordered BF4 and I'll just wait until a sale for Premium (BF3's Premium was totally worth it).

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 pm

JohnC wrote:
Premium pack will always be available and will only go down in price over time.

Also, even with regular edition of the game you'll get a free expansion pack, China Rising, for free, as long as you'll preorder the game before the official release day.

That's what happened with BF3- though, if you actually want to play the packs when they release, you might as well pay up front. It sucks, but that's the rap.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Yea, but you don't have to - as I said, plenty of BF3 servers use stock maps and do not require Premium membership... Unless, of course, you want to play with friends who already have Premium or on certain community servers.

dryfish
Gerbil In Training

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 pm

So I've been lurking on this thread for a while. Played a ton of BF4 beta. My system is a Q9300 (stock 2.5ghz ) on a ASUS P5N-D with 8GB of ram and GTX 770 with 3GB. First release or two of the beta ran like crap, last update/release ran pretty good but my CPU seems to be the bottle neck. I've reviewed the twitter feed for the Dice developer and I can't confirm there will be any more CPU optimizations? Anyone else have proof? My CPU usage spiked to 70-100 frequently and caused drops in my FPS.

Yes, I realize my ancient quad core is my issue but I just dropped some serious $ on the video card. I was hoping to eek a little more life out of the existing quadcore. Chances are if it runs the same as the last release, i'll be ok but not happy until I upgrade. Thinking of sticking with Intel, this board and processor has treated me well over the years.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 pm

They might do further optimizations, but most likely it'll be related to GPU side and more consistent CPU utilization for all cores... If you have spare $$$ - I'd say you should definitely go for a mobo and CPU upgrade, especially considering other useful benefits this upgrade will bring (native USB 3.0 and SATA III) and the fact that future games should have similar heavily multithreaded engines.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Even my [email protected] was bottlenecked in BF3. I was basically capped at 30fps most of the time in BF4 even after the patch (I was getting like 20FPS before that).

I decided it was time to upgrade my CPU. I can always turn down settings for the GPU.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Yea... I'm glad that I made investment into i7-2600 right when they became available - it is still going strong (without any overclocking) and provides excellent performance even with BF4 beta (as well as with other games) and I have absolutely no reason to upgrade it yet.

dryfish
Gerbil In Training

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Options for a 400-500$ MB/Proc/8GB? I could take this to systems building thread but it's an upgrade for BF4..

Here's my first stab: Always liked Intel, old asus MB and Intel run me for many years.
MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131837
Proc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116504
Mem http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231587
$443.00

Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:24 pm

For anyone thinking that the game is expensive, yes, the initial outlay is quite a large one, especially if you get Premium.

However, for the avid Battlefield player, look at it like this:

I've so far put 237 hours into BF3. I paid $60 for the initial Limited Edition game at release, and another $50 for the Premium edition when it was released. That's a total of $110.

This works out to 46cents per hour of entertainment (although my wife tells me that I need to include the cost of my computer, but I politely ignore her on things she clearly knows nothing about, lol), which is pretty good value, if you ask me.

Based on that rationale, I Pre-ordered BF3 and premium yesterday, and look forward to when I can actually play all the maps.
My Rig: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster Gemin II; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red; 2x 2TB WD Green; PC&C 750W PS; Corsair Carbide 600C;

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 pm

dryfish wrote:
Options for a 400-500$ MB/Proc/8GB? I could take this to systems building thread but it's an upgrade for BF4..

Here's my first stab: Always liked Intel, old asus MB and Intel run me for many years.
MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131837
Proc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116504
Mem http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231587
$443.00

Good choice, but personally I would go for 3770 for Hyperthreading. You don't have to buy "K" edition if you don't plan on overclocking it.

dryfish
Gerbil In Training

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Great_Big_Abyss wrote:
For anyone thinking that the game is expensive, yes, the initial outlay is quite a large one, especially if you get Premium.

However, for the avid Battlefield player, look at it like this:

I've so far put 237 hours into BF3. I paid $60 for the initial Limited Edition game at release, and another $50 for the Premium edition when it was released. That's a total of $110.

This works out to 46cents per hour of entertainment (although my wife tells me that I need to include the cost of my computer, but I politely ignore her on things she clearly knows nothing about, lol), which is pretty good value, if you ask me.

Based on that rationale, I Pre-ordered BF3 and premium yesterday, and look forward to when I can actually play all the maps.

I totally am not complaining about the cost of the game. Just having to bite off replacing my GTX 460 and MB/CPU/Memory at the same time kinda hurts. That being said system has ran smooth for many BF games.

I always need to keep some balance on my NewEgg preferred account. :) 6 months/12 months Financing always works out well and I put automated bill pay on so it's done before I get hit with interest. Just a monthly gaming payment..

Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:10 pm

dryfish wrote:
I totally am not complaining about the cost of the game. Just having to bite off replacing my GTX 460 and MB/CPU/Memory at the same time kinda hurts. That being said system has ran smooth for many BF games.

You couldn't imagine your gaming rig from 3 - 4 years ago would remain relevant if you wanted to continue playing the most cutting edge games, right?
My Rig: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster Gemin II; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red; 2x 2TB WD Green; PC&C 750W PS; Corsair Carbide 600C;

dryfish
Gerbil In Training

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:33 pm

It handled BF3 pretty good.

In any case. Just hit "complete order" on new egg. Can someone remind me to turn in my MIR? I totally forgot to do that last time and threw away my video card box. :(
Last edited by dryfish on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 pm

I haven't really pounded into it yet- but my Clevo gaming laptop/workstation does quite fine with an Ivy quad + HT at 3.0GHz (max boost, where it stays) and the GTX675M, which is a full-on GTX560 in mobile guise.

I'd think that a GTX460 wouldn't be too terribly bad if you backed off the settings a little?

dryfish
Gerbil In Training

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
I haven't really pounded into it yet- but my Clevo gaming laptop/workstation does quite fine with an Ivy quad + HT at 3.0GHz (max boost, where it stays) and the GTX675M, which is a full-on GTX560 in mobile guise.

I'd think that a GTX460 wouldn't be too terribly bad if you backed off the settings a little?

My 460 is setting idle next to me on my desk, the 770's been bought and in the system for a couple weeks. Anyone looking for a used EVGA GTX 460? :)

Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:05 pm

It would make a half decent little folding card...

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
It isn't cheap, mind you, but if BF4 delivers anything close to what BF3 delivered content-wise, it's a fair price for what you're getting, all things considered- and yes, I've already picked up all of it.

if

If, on the other hand, EA decides that they'd rather cash out and only deliver content with minimum effort behind it, you'd be crying foul all year long without being able to do anything about it. EA doesn't deserve our trust in the least IMO, and pre-ordering expansions with this season pass/premium stuff is showing them trust using the only currency that EA actually cares about.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Firestarter wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

if

If, on the other hand, EA decides that they'd rather cash out and only deliver content with minimum effort behind it, you'd be crying foul all year long without being able to do anything about it. EA doesn't deserve our trust in the least IMO, and pre-ordering expansions with this season pass/premium stuff is showing them trust using the only currency that EA actually cares about.

They'd only get away with it once- but you are right, and I still don't like it. I didn't like it with BF3 either, but they delivered, so I guess you can say that they've earned my trust, for now. Well, DICE has earned my trust, a little.

And I do participate in a community that maintains servers, Ventrilo, a website and a forum, that participates in a number of games, and many of us will not only be on top of the retail game when it hits, but also on top of each expansion.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:21 pm

You guys will be renting teh BF4 server? Or just selecting some pub to play on?
We probably will rent our own but it will mostly be for certain streaming channel (on Twitch.tv) fans.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:01 pm

JohnC wrote:
You guys will be renting teh BF4 server? Or just selecting some pub to play on?
We probably will rent our own but it will mostly be for certain streaming channel (on Twitch.tv) fans.

Given how cheap servers are, we typically maintain one or two- or more, depending on participation and donations- but we do typically 'pub it, joining off each other while also hanging out in a common vent channel, if we don't have enough people online to 'seed' one of our own servers or we'd rather play a map/mode that one of our servers isn't set to.