Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

scottsmoron
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fast screen from powersave

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Anyone have a suggestion for a screen that wakes quickly? I have a screen I like, but it takes 10 seconds to "wake" from powersave mode. I don't use the machine often, but would like a screen that wakes quickly.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Fast screen from powersave

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:52 am

Things that increase a screen's wakeup time, in order of importance:
  1. Your windows power settings
  2. Your graphics card
  3. Auto detecting Inputs instead of manually fixing it to a specific input type
  4. CCFL lamps instead of LED backlighting
  5. Scalers, OSD, Smart features
  6. Complete random luck because each manufacturer has fast and slow screens with no easy way to distinguish.

I don't think wakeup time is a spec any manufacturers care about. Few of them even list it as a spec.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:27 am

If you are running a standard mechanical HDD switching to a Solid state drive with your OS and main programs on it should cut the wake up time in half perhaps better. Since you do not have to wait 5 seconds before the HDD starts to spin from a dead stop before it starts reading on top of the SSD reading 3+ times faster.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 am

scottsmoron, start by letting your monitor sit OFF, unplugging your VGA/DVI cable from your monitor, and then turning the monitor on. See how long it takes to turn up a "no input" display. If that is fast enough for you, then, as the others have pointed out, it's probably Windows that is taking so much time, and you should look into making your machine faster.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.