Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

New IPS monitor

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 am

Good day, I am currently looking at a new monitor.

Must haves
-IPS
-display port/dvi port
-vesa mount
-Canadian availability

Good to haves
-fully adjustable stand
-thinner bezel the better
-21.5"

So I am leaning towards the 21.5" size, since I already have one and like the clarity of the higher ppi vs a 1080p 27" monitor.

From my research so far, I have 3 models on the list

-Dell P2214H http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... noteSearch

-HP Z22i http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/monit ... b=features

-NEC E224Wi http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/e224wi-bk

I think all three have a 3-yr warranty. Anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations between the 3 makers?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: New IPS monitor

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:54 am

If you like the higer DPI, look at the "Korean" 27" 1440p screens. Either imported from Korea or the Canadian equivalent of Monoprice.

I dunno. I'm like 4000 miles away from Canada, but the Korean screens I have are frikkin' awesome!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 am

I always thought the UltraSharp is better, but "only 82%" colour gamut compared to the P2214 speaks different for me. So I suppose the P series or the UltraSharps (it starts at 23" though) are both good enough?

I have dealt with Dell.ca twice for monitors and my experience was good. I actually used their (then called differently) Premium Panel Guarantee to get advance shipment of a different unit. They also gave me prepaid UPS label so all I have to do is pick the monitor I like, pack up the other and drop off at an UPS store for the exchange. No fuss.

Wait for a sale though.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:29 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Canadian equivalent of Monoprice.

Monoprice actually has "decent" shipping to Canada. I use them all the time for cables.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
Canadian equivalent of Monoprice.

Monoprice actually has "decent" shipping to Canada. I use them all the time for cables.

You just need to buy enough stuff to make the shipping sting less. Buying a <$1 adapter just to have them ding you 10 bucks for shipping is just pure robbery. I suppose you don't have UPS' ridiculous brokerage fees ($30 and up) to deal with when crossing the border.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:37 pm

i and a friend are very content with the same korean model that was reviewed on here a while ago. weak points are no vesa mount and a crappy stand thats really wobbly. i'm considering getting another actually, but there arent any games that are fun to map for. ns2 is the closest thing and it doesnt have a large enough community for me to be interested anymore.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
i and a friend are very content with the same korean model that was reviewed on here a while ago. weak points are no vesa mount and a crappy stand that's really wobbly. I'm considering getting another actually, but there arent any games that are fun to map for. ns2 is the closest thing and it doesn't have a large enough community for me to be interested anymore.

Ya, there are some 'must haves' lacking from them. I guess another would be a good covered 3-yr warranty like you get from NEC,Dell,HP business models. If the Dell goes on sale for 200 or less here I could pick up 2.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ach ... zero-g.htm

and here is the 23.8" version of the 21.5" model on my list
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm

I have much grander monitor dreams, however they don't exist at this point in time.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Start watching RedFlagDeals like a hawk. Between pre-US Thanksgiving, US Thanksgiving, holiday shopping, Christmas, Boxing Week, and New Year, any of the UltraSharps or P-series should be on sale at least once. ;)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:58 am

Yeah, an Ultrasharp deal on Black Friday is almost guaranteed.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:21 am

If you're in the market for a new monitor, go WQHD.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

just do it

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:18 am

k o r e a n i m p o r t

27" 1440p

no contest, done, ~fin, end, full stop, period, QED
TR RIP 7/7/2019

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:45 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
If you're in the market for a new monitor, go WQHD.

Yes it was a strong contender, I was looking at the Dell U2713HM, the least expensive I have seen it was $600 + 12.25 eco fee + 13% sales tax and (here in Canada).

I can get 3 monitors and put them in a portrait mode array for the same money, but still a possibility.

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:50 am

shaq_mobile wrote:
i and a friend are very content with the same korean model that was reviewed on here a while ago. weak points are no vesa mount and a crappy stand thats really wobbly. i'm considering getting another actually, but there arent any games that are fun to map for. ns2 is the closest thing and it doesnt have a large enough community for me to be interested anymore.

Generally speaking, the Korean monitors DO have VESA mount, it's just hidden behind the back cover on some models.

I have two of these, and I have a VERY difficult time recommending anything else unless 27" doesn't fit. I have 3 of these at my house + I have 2 27" iMacs and 4 27" Apple screens, and obviously they are all actually the same panels. :)

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Well one of them went on sale so I grabbed it. I will report back once it gets here.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=320-9791