Moderators: renee, Hoser

Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Re: BF4 beta + final retail information

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:19 am

Airmantharp wrote:
Firestarter wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
It isn't cheap, mind you, but if BF4 delivers anything close to what BF3 delivered content-wise, it's a fair price for what you're getting, all things considered- and yes, I've already picked up all of it.

if

If, on the other hand, EA decides that they'd rather cash out and only deliver content with minimum effort behind it, you'd be crying foul all year long without being able to do anything about it. EA doesn't deserve our trust in the least IMO, and pre-ordering expansions with this season pass/premium stuff is showing them trust using the only currency that EA actually cares about.

They'd only get away with it once- but you are right, and I still don't like it. I didn't like it with BF3 either, but they delivered, so I guess you can say that they've earned my trust, for now. Well, DICE has earned my trust, a little.

And I do participate in a community that maintains servers, Ventrilo, a website and a forum, that participates in a number of games, and many of us will not only be on top of the retail game when it hits, but also on top of each expansion.

Same. If I don't have all the expansion packs and the premium benefits, I can't play with my clanmates.
My Rig: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster Gemin II; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red; 2x 2TB WD Green; PC&C 750W PS; Corsair Carbide 600C;

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Just FYI, if you cannot afford paying full price - supposedly BF4 will be on sale during Black Friday event:
http://slickdeals.net/f/6349202-gamesto ... 4-pc-29-99
That does not include Premium package but still a good price reduction for the game itself.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Great_Big_Abyss wrote:
Same. If I don't have all the expansion packs and the premium benefits, I can't play with my clanmates.

Only on the servers with maps that you don't have, everyone can still play just fine together on the base game servers. At least on PC that is, on Console I have no idea how it works.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Great_Big_Abyss wrote:

Only on the servers with maps that you don't have, everyone can still play just fine together on the base game servers. At least on PC that is, on Console I have no idea how it works.

The question is- do you ever want to play those expansion packs?

Because if you do, and you want to play at least three of them, you might as well buy the Premium bundle.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Personally I'd rather buy the expansions separately. I'm not particularly fond of paying for work people haven't done.

I'm sure they will be worth the money when the time comes, but now...I'll pass.
Meow.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Personally, the amount of money that premium costs, are a drop in a bucket, at launch, both of them together are just shy of $130, and that's the cheap option, Digital Deluxe on origin is $100, base is $85 + another $70 for premium), and oh yeah, the states seem to have quite a bit better prices in general, even when it's "expensive", it's a fair bit better. And those $130 pretty much equals just a tad more then a decent nights out with a bit of food and drink. Considering I have close to a 1000 hours into BF3, it could cost double and I probably wouldn't care at all. I happily forked over my cash for premium, because considering the amount of hours and enjoyment I got from it.

And even though I didn't like all the game modes, ALL MAPS of the packs was really well done and definitely worth it. And some of the weapons definitely gave me a enjoyment over the standard ones. I never thought it would be so, but my least used map packs is actually end game and armored kill, but that's mostly because those maps require a great amount of teamwork and I really prefer playing rush. And that level just isn't had on pubbie servers unless you are at least 2 full squads of friends playing. The maps though, are gorgeous and very well done all the way through the packs.

But as airmantharp said... if you buy at least 3 packs, get the premium, because then you have the other 2 for free.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:17 am

So since I didnt play Beta how do I get Origin to start pre-loading this thing??? I have looked everywhere and nothing....
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 am

Airmantharp wrote:
Aphasia wrote:
Great_Big_Abyss wrote:

The question is- do you ever want to play those expansion packs?

Because if you do, and you want to play at least three of them, you might as well buy the Premium bundle.

When the expansion packs came out on BF3, I never thought I would play anything other than Armored Kill.

Turns out Close Quarters was my favorite gaming style for a couple of months, and I still go back to it every now and then for a great time, especially on Double XP weekends (I suppose those are over now).

I never really like End Game that much. Aftermath was fun, especially Scavenger. Conquest in Aftermath wasn't really that great. Seems like the maps weren't designed for it.
My Rig: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster Gemin II; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red; 2x 2TB WD Green; PC&C 750W PS; Corsair Carbide 600C;

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm

tanker27 - haven't seen anything about the preload for the release yet. A few days before release of the beta, there was a beta preload. But the beta and the final game doesn't contain the same resources, not to mention the beta only being a small piece of the final game besides, so you really have no use of preloaded beta things from what I know. But if they do it like they did the beta, there might be a preload a few days before or so.

I'm just lucky I usually get 12MB/s, so preloading doesn't really give me more then a at max a 30minute advantage. From what I gather, the same can't be said for most places overseas?

Great-Big-Abyss - The aftermath maps were some of the best city maps of the new ones, but they did take more height and powered up the recons a fair bit compared to the default maps, so they had a very different playstyle and required a bit more teamwork then just a single great squad like all bog standard ones. Really good rush maps, very decent conquest.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:18 pm

...and BF4 is live! People are already playing it - the game was unlocked in Asian countries, people in USA have also unlocked their games using free VPN proxies (EA is officially allowing this - only thing they do not allow is using VPN to purchase game in different region). Twitch.tv has also allowed people to start streaming gameplay, so if you aren't playing - you can already watch it:
http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Battlefield%204
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:40 pm

JohnC wrote:
...and BF4 is live! People are already playing it - the game was unlocked in Asian countries, people in USA have also unlocked their games using free VPN proxies (EA is officially allowing this - only thing they do not allow is using VPN to purchase game in different region). Twitch.tv has also allowed people to start streaming gameplay, so if you aren't playing - you can already watch it:
http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Battlefield%204

I'll check it out when I get home from work- already pre-loaded on both of my computers.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:28 pm

And I still have to wait until Thursday to get my damn codes, but then....BOOM

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:06 am

I am getting surprisingly good performance with my Titan so far - even maxed out (Ultra) the FPS stays at around 70-80...

The major issues seem to be random "lag" for many people, which is server-side (rubberbanding even with less than 100ms ping), random game crashes (beta never crashed for me but the final game has crashed about 6 times already) and random server kicks (when a dozen of people gets kicked at random times). There was also a MAJOR bug where I got spawned underneath the island on "Lancang dam" map - the one where the "C" control point is located. I could still swim under it but couldn't get out and (obviously) noone else could get to me or actually kill me. Oh well, hopefully next patch will fix it...

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:14 am

B.t.w, the "Commander" mode is surprisingly fun... You do not even need to kill anyone - you can earn a lot of XP simply by helping out your team using a "Commander View" map. Here's a sample score from single match, hopefully this link will work:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ba ... 335634869/
You do not even need a voice communication - you can see everything your teammates are doing. Just let them know that they need to capture certain point so you can spawn an AC-130 Gunship for them :wink:

Unfortunately the "app" version will only be available next month so you have to use a PC/laptop for now :(

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 pm

I am quite surprised at how well my 5 yr old PC holds up in BF4. While I cant do ultra and have to turn some things down, but nothing game breaking or immersion breaking. For reference I have a i7 920 with a Nvidia 560Ti.

And with the 10 min I used Commander mode I loved it. It was cool.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:59 pm

tanker27 wrote:
I am quite surprised at how well my 5 yr old PC holds up in BF4. While I cant do ultra and have to turn some things down, but nothing game breaking or immersion breaking. For reference I have a i7 920 with a Nvidia 560Ti.

And with the 10 min I used Commander mode I loved it. It was cool.

My gaming laptop (3.0GHz Ivy i7 quad and GTX560-equivalent) ran the beta just fine- and my desktop ran the release version very, very well on 'high' settings, HBAO, and no MSAA, with a 2500k at 4.5GHz, a pair of GTX670 2GB cards, and an X-Fi + Sennheiser HD555 setup at 1600p.

Sound is quite very good too!

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:31 pm

I got the servers last night just after 11 pm central time. Only a couple of glitches bothered me but for the most part smooth sailing. My rig is running a mix of ultra and the game looks great, plays great. I was running mid 50's on the conquest maps and 70-80 fps on SQDM. I really like the fact that you can get into a lot of places, definitely not a 1 level game. Can't wait to get home and get my game on!
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Pville_Piper wrote:
I got the servers last night just after 11 pm central time. Only a couple of glitches bothered me but for the most part smooth sailing. My rig is running a mix of ultra and the game looks great, plays great. I was running mid 50's on the conquest maps and 70-80 fps on SQDM. I really like the fact that you can get into a lot of places, definitely not a 1 level game. Can't wait to get home and get my game on!

We were having a blast taking over high points and dominating the area, and I'm still working on the interface a bit for 1600p, but after I got the controls switched over, everything seems very nice!

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Haven't had a chance to play yet (my code arrived late so I only finished installing this morning before work).

But I had a couple minutes to tune settings and it's running like butter on my i7-4770k with a 7950@1GHz at 1920x1200. Not the most challenging settings but I'm surprised high everything with a few things on Ultra (deferred AA off though) still doesn't slow it down.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:34 am

Ugg if it weren't for the servers dumping people and the BF4 exe stopped working bug I would be rank 23 by now. I also sorta understand the reasoning your stats aren't update real time (ok I dont), this needs to change. Stats need to be update real time! Its so frustrating to get an unlock or a promotion only to be dumped by the server and have to do it all over again. And I cannot tell you how many times I had some pretty blazing games and then got dumped.

That being said I have found a few stable servers out there and frequented them all weekend.

The game is fun and frustrating but overall its fun. But I do have my gripes. My favorite game is rush or the bomb one. And all too often I find people just want to sit back and be a Sniper. Which is fine but not when you have a team of 46 and over half are snipers. Occasionally I did find a squad of Snipers that actually rushed and went after the bomb. Their quick scoping skills were impeccable. Oh how I wish to learn to do that. (how do you use the side mounted iron sights on a sniper rifle???) Anyways so some games when I find that everyone and their brothers are snipers I quickly switch to Support and pull out the mortar. The perfect anti-sniper weapon, especially if your team is rushing. Instantly I get lambasted for mortar-spam. Well what the hell do you want me to do???? The sniper spam is just as bad.

Another gripe I have is that when I do play sniper And the map has vehicles I am always going out of my way to laser targets and then there is no one to take out the vehicles. ugggg..

The shotgun/flechette attachment for the XM25 is so dang fun to the tune that I actually think its a bit OP.

Quick Edit: The maps. I dont find them fun. I think the BF3 maps were a bit better. The Rush map where you have to secure the broken carrier is the worst. And I am so tired of Shanghi that I try to avoid it like the plague. The Golmund map is pretty cool as the Rushers have to fight uphill the whole way, its difficult but very dooable.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 am

The server-side bugs are pretty annoying. We've been doing our best to mitigate them on our server by policing for HPBs and rolling the map when the server starts chugging, but you can only do so much- the rest is on DICE.

Otherwise, I've found most of the maps to be fairly fun, but I still prefer Conquest. And I am ecstatic that they put C4 in the recon kit. Take out the armor your own damn self :D.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:39 am

Tired of the servers crashing and losing my stats (unlocked the Stinger at least 3 times) but having fun so far. Crashing at least seems to have been mostly removed as of yesterday's patch but server rubber-banding when playing with 64 players is annoying. I finally have a rig good enough to play 64 players without any frame drops but now the game servers are choking?

The map balance needs work from my first impressions but this may change as people receive unlocks so I'd prefer not to knee-jerk react yet.

LostCat

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:13 pm

I just like firing LAWs at ground troops. Pfff, anti tank. Hah.

When I feel particularly outmatched I use them to put the enemy on the defensive, it usually works pretty well. Not sure why more people don't.
Meow.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Today I haven't had a single server crash on me, my game hanged a couple of times, but all the stats from tonight got in, and they got the queue system rolled out over Europe too, yesterday only had it in the US. So it seems they got a few more good patches in. That said, I know they are working a whole lot to stamp out the bugs so I guess the biggest things will be taken care of this week... hopefully.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Today I haven't had a single server crash on me, my game hanged a couple of times, but all the stats from tonight got in, and they got the queue system rolled out over Europe too, yesterday only had it in the US. So it seems they got a few more good patches in. That said, I know they are working a whole lot to stamp out the bugs so I guess the biggest things will be taken care of this week... hopefully.

That's good to hear- our server has been a bit more stable, but it's been rough as performance degrades over time and the server needs a reboot (or eventually crashes). I'll pound on it some more tonight and see what we get; queuing support is definitely welcome!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm

They need a client patch too - client crashes are not fun :-? Same goes for hit detection which can still be pretty random.

tanker27 wrote:
Instantly I get lambasted for mortar-spam. Well what the hell do you want me to do???? The sniper spam is just as bad.

Eh, just ignore the complainers and play in whatever way it is fun to you :wink: Right now there is a HUGE amount of servers to choose from.

tanker27 wrote:

Another gripe I have is that when I do play sniper And the map has vehicles I am always going out of my way to laser targets and then there is no one to take out the vehicles. ugggg..

Yea, not a lot of engineers try to target ground vehicles yet... Mostly because shooting at air vehicles is more "safe" and takes less effort - you get Stinger unlock faster than stuff like Javelin. Also, maybe try using SOFLAM targeter instead of manual thingie (PLD?).

tanker27 wrote:

The Rush map where you have to secure the broken carrier is the worst

Yes, it is.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:48 am

For the love of all things holy.....its called RUSH........not sit back and camp!

The funniest thing ever I saw today was that the DEFENDING team rushed the rushers because all they would do was sit back and snipe, mortar, or fire from cover.

NINJA EDIT: Oh and if you don't know how to fly please don't! Or at least go on an empty server, or better yet use the TEST RANGE, to learn how to.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:24 am

BTW... If anyone wants to friend me on the Battle Log my soldier is named PvillePiper. I enjoy playing as a team and working an objective - :o
Wait a minute! This is starting to sound like a personal ad... "I enjoy long walks on the battlefield..." LOL!
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

LostCat

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:18 pm

tanker27 wrote:
For the love of all things holy.....its called RUSH........not sit back and camp!

The funniest thing ever I saw today was that the DEFENDING team rushed the rushers because all they would do was sit back and snipe, mortar, or fire from cover.

NINJA EDIT: Oh and if you don't know how to fly please don't! Or at least go on an empty server, or better yet use the TEST RANGE, to learn how to.

I assume you've noticed SavagePaladin a few times. Hi.

I avoid the air for that very reason, but I did use the choppers in the test range. Pretty sure around buildings I'd be bloody useless.

And yeah, I've seen some lame defenders. I think once it was spawn campers. Which was amusing, because we lost as no one was actually defending the objectives.
Last edited by LostCat on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm

I've been flying helicopters since BF:BC2, when it was actually really, really hard- BF3 was difficult, but better, and I've already had dogfights between buildings with the Littlebirds without crashing :).

Near as I can tell, they actually handle like helicopters, and that's not nearly as easy as many people think.