NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Tech Report Fantasy Sports League and general sports discussion.

Moderator: Captain Ned

NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 pm

I can't think of a more long-suffering fanbase than that of the Cardinals. Congrats you guys, you really deserve it.

Image
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 pm

oh, hey, the hot threads at the top of the front page does not use the profanity filter. I changed the title so as not to offend.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:I can't think of a more long-suffering fanbase than that of the Cardinals.


There's this team in Chicago you should know about, plays in an old-fashioned stadium...
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3157
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 pm

bthylafh wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:I can't think of a more long-suffering fanbase than that of the Cardinals.
There's this team in Chicago you should know about, plays in an old-fashioned stadium...
I think your sarcasm meter is broken, given what at ridiculous statement this is. The Cardinals have more World Series titles than any team outside the Bronx. In fact, the Cardinals are the National League Yankees, except Cardinals fans are a little more smug and self-congratulatory.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9976
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:20 am

Man, did they blow Kershaw up. They're the only team to touch him, and when they do, it's not pretty. And I can't believe Mattingly left him out there for that long. I loved what Pedro Martinez told Puig - go home this winter and watch Carlos Beltran play right field. Pujols who?
Image
thill9
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:06 am
Location: Missouri

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:22 am

It's a shame that they beat out the long-downtrodden Pirates to get there.

Deadspin wrote: MLB adjusted salaries, in millions
New York Yankees $229
Los Angeles Dodgers $216
Philadelphia Phillies $160
Boston Red Sox $159
Detroit Tigers $149
San Francisco Giants $142
Los Angeles Angels $142
Texas Rangers $127
Chicago White Sox $124
Toronto Blue Jays $118
St. Louis Cardinals $117
Washington Nationals $112
Cincinnati Reds $111
Chicago Cubs $104
Baltimore Orioles $92
Milwaukee Brewers $91
Arizona Diamondbacks $90
Atlanta Braves $89
New York Mets $89
Seattle Mariners $84
Cleveland Indians $83
Kansas City Royals $80
Minnesota Twins $76
Colorado Rockies $75
San Diego Padres $72
Oakland A's $69
Pittsburgh Pirates $66
Tampa Bay Rays $57
Miami Marlins $40
Houston Astros $24
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15402
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:34 am

UberGerbil wrote:I think your sarcasm meter is broken, given what at ridiculous statement this is. The Cardinals have more World Series titles than any team outside the Bronx. In fact, the Cardinals are the National League Yankees, except Cardinals fans are a little more smug and self-congratulatory.

PREACH! Plus they have a media that isn't completely trained to expect winning the WS every year so they're way more forgiving when the team chokes in October like last year. Blow a 3-1 lead to the Giants, losing 3 in a row. And it's fine, the Cardinals had a lot to be happy about, according to the STL media. Imagine if that happened in NY?

Hey if the Pirates wanted to go to the NLCS they should have won game 5. The NLCS was due for a blowout after 5 really great games, I'm just glad it didn't tilt the other way.

TIL the Cardinals were not a top-10 payroll. I'm marginally surprised to find that out.

Another thought: everybody should be really happy for Carlos Beltran. His WS run with the Mets got rudely interrupted when he looked at strike 3 from some no-name rookie pitcher from Georgia.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:I can't think of a more long-suffering???? fanbase than that of the Cardinals.


Am I missing something with regards to long suffering????

Quote from Wikipedia:
Major league titles
World Series titles (11) 2011 • 2006 • 1982 • 1967
1964 • 1946 • 1944 • 1942
1934 • 1931 • 1926



Two titles in the last 7 years is long suffering?
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:28 am

Dposcorp wrote:Am I missing something with regards to long suffering????

Two titles in the last 7 years is long suffering?


See post #4 concerning "sarcasm meter"
Image
thill9
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:06 am
Location: Missouri

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:33 am

Glad I could incite somebody to near-violence at least. :lol: :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:15 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:Glad I could incite somebody to near-violence at least. :lol: :lol:

It will be real violence if you ever make it to the BBQ! lol
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:Glad I could incite somebody to near-violence at least. :lol: :lol:

It will be real violence if you ever make it to the BBQ! lol

Shouldn't you Detroit area (stretching it a bit) people be taking out your frustrations with Boston rather than St. Louis people? :P
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:52 pm

It was going to be this summer til we bought the house. Next summer unless something amazing happens I'll be there. :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm glad the Dodgers are out. I have no dog in the fight in the AL.

So let me toast a glass of Haterade to the defeat of the Cardinals. May the Sox crush their enemies, see them driven before them, and hear the lamentation of their women.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:I'm glad the Dodgers are out. I have no dog in the fight in the AL.

So let me toast a glass of Haterade to the defeat of the Cardinals. May the Sox crush their enemies, see them driven before them, and hear the lamentation of their women.



I'll be down at Fenway on Wednesday. I'll toast a beer for everyone. Mostly Funk though.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:19 pm

my own non-Inbev adult beverage of choice ready for Wednesday. I'll be at home because Boston is far away. And World Series tickets on Stubhub are ridiculous. :lol: Nosebleeds for $600 each? No thanks. If I thought this would be my only chance ever to go to see the Cardinals in the World Series I'd still pass. Better seats at home or in the bar anyway.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I don't follow baseball much, but my Toronto Blue Jays (although in the AL) put their fans through a lot of suffering.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:I don't follow baseball much, but my Toronto Blue Jays (although in the AL) put their fans through a lot of suffering.

Yes they do. By all accounts in the early season they were supposed to run away with the East, with the additions of Reyes and Dickey and a few others. Reyes got hurt and Dickey regressed to the mean and it was just a lost season.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:55 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:I don't follow baseball much, but my Toronto Blue Jays (although in the AL) put their fans through a lot of suffering.

Yes they do. By all accounts in the early season they were supposed to run away with the East, with the additions of Reyes and Dickey and a few others. Reyes got hurt and Dickey regressed to the mean and it was just a lost season.

Josh Johnson was the biggest disappointment, and he was the one trying to showcase himself for his contract year so he can jump ship back to the US with an even bigger deal. In a way he has not earned any sympathy when he got hurt and he got hit around like Little League with that "I don't really care about Toronto anyway" attitude. :x
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Go Theo?

Yeah, I know.........nvm


*sigh*
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13876
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:24 am

Subject line kinda reminds me of Ellis from leet world.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:41 am

idchafee wrote:Go Theo?

Yeah, I know.........nvm


*sigh*


lol sometimes I feel so bad for Ian, but only sometimes.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:03 pm

What in the hell is this showing tonight?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:I don't follow baseball much, but my Toronto Blue Jays (although in the AL) put their fans through a lot of suffering.

Yes they do. By all accounts in the early season they were supposed to run away with the East, with the additions of Reyes and Dickey and a few others. Reyes got hurt and Dickey regressed to the mean and it was just a lost season.

Josh Johnson was the biggest disappointment, and he was the one trying to showcase himself for his contract year so he can jump ship back to the US with an even bigger deal. In a way he has not earned any sympathy when he got hurt and he got hit around like Little League with that "I don't really care about Toronto anyway" attitude. :x


Biggest mistake was that Reyes would be comfortable with journeymen 2B's. And having a catcher that sucks both defensively and is an offensive liability, other than HR's.
touchandgo
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:36 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:44 pm

This was the two playoff teams I least wanted to see the World Series, so I'm done with baseball until the spring. But I'm kind of sorry I missed this.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9976
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Funk can not be happy. 8-1. Eeek.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Hmm, was Lester throwing the spitter?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/10 ... ner-video/
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20214
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:33 pm

It doesn't matter if Lester was throwing a whiffle ball. If you give up 8 runs you're probably not going to win anyway.

But yes, I've been following that foreign substance discussion. The Cardinals apparently had a talk with Tyler Melling, the pitching prospect who first tweeted about it, and the tweets relating to it have all come up missing. My guess is the organization doesn't want to make a stink about it considering all the missteps they made themselves last night. Wainwright and Molina looking at each other as that pop up falls between them is just a microcosm of a larger issue this team has had defensively all year long. If they lost 2-1 and everyone played good defense, then yeah maybe I can see that story taking off like Kenny Rogers in 2006 (although that was bolstered by Tony LaRussa's complaints mid-game).

And DancinJack is right, I'm honked. These games should all be nail-biting, edge-of-your-pants drama as the best records from each league face one another. 8-1 is a snoozefest.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:07 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:It's a shame that they beat out the long-downtrodden Pirates to get there.

Deadspin wrote: MLB adjusted salaries, in millions
New York Yankees $229
Los Angeles Dodgers $216
Philadelphia Phillies $160
Boston Red Sox $159
Detroit Tigers $149
San Francisco Giants $142
Los Angeles Angels $142
Texas Rangers $127
Chicago White Sox $124
Toronto Blue Jays $118
St. Louis Cardinals $117
Washington Nationals $112
Cincinnati Reds $111
Chicago Cubs $104
Baltimore Orioles $92
Milwaukee Brewers $91
Arizona Diamondbacks $90
Atlanta Braves $89
New York Mets $89
Seattle Mariners $84
Cleveland Indians $83
Kansas City Royals $80
Minnesota Twins $76
Colorado Rockies $75
San Diego Padres $72
Oakland A's $69
Pittsburgh Pirates $66
Tampa Bay Rays $57
Miami Marlins $40
Houston Astros $24


Man if there ever wasn't a call for parity and salary caps, this just solidifies there needs to be one.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7188
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPS MOTHER EFFERS!!!!

Postposted on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:50 am

I'm enjoying the series. My wife's family is from MA so she encouraged me to root for the Red Sox. Cardinals have been crushing the hapless Chicago Cubs for decades anyway, so no reason to root for them.

I like the Boston closer, it's amazing how he just can't be hit right now.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
 
Posts: 12832
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:51 pm
Location: Streamwood, IL

Next

Return to TR Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest