Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows 8.1 won't sleep automatically

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm coming to you guys as a last resort. I recently upgraded my PC to windows 8.1 from a ~2 month old install of windows 8. On windows 8, PC slept predictably when set to 30 min. I had two "powercfg /requestsoverrides" set via command line to ensure that this happened, however. Now, upon upgrading, PC will not sleep predictably when set to an idle interval of 30 min., even if "powercfg /requests" shows "none." for every category. PC will sleep automatically if power options are: display shutoff set to 1 min, and sleep PC set to 2 or 3 min; OR if ethernet cable is unplugged from computer (with display/sleep set to 5/15 min). Disabling IPv6 and the Homegroup fix, both mentioned in this thread, did not work: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2329266. Virus scans via windows defender and malwarebytes are negative, all drivers are up to date, and PC sleeps fine manually.

Do you all have any advice for me? I really just want to make sure that if computer wakes up due to scheduled tasks (or my cat), that it will be able to fall back asleep.
i5 3570K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | 12GB | HD7850 | 500GB Samsung EVO 850 | 120GB Corsair Force 3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 2TB WD Caviar Green | 2x WD Caviar Black 640 GB | 3x U2412M | 200R

bazb85
Gerbil

Re: Windows 8.1 won't sleep automatically

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:00 am

I have the exact same problem since upgrading to 8.1, and it's driving me crazy! Spent hours on the phone with Dell and Microsoft and no one can figure out. Need help ASAP!

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 am

I have the same issue with:
Core i7-4960X
32GB RAM
Asus Sabertooth X79
Asus GTX 780
2 SSDs (Samsung 840 Pros)
2 mechanical WD Black 3TB drives
Firewire sound card (This is totally it right?)

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 am

I have the exact same issue - I thought I was the only one.

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:37 am

I have the exact same issue - I thought I was the only one.

lol - me too. At least we can all commiserate together until a fix is worked out.
i5 3570K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | 12GB | HD7850 | 500GB Samsung EVO 850 | 120GB Corsair Force 3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 2TB WD Caviar Green | 2x WD Caviar Black 640 GB | 3x U2412M | 200R

bazb85
Gerbil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 am

I heard leaving a Homegroup was a solution for some people, at least with the preview build. Here's some promising research I've turned up:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/11767 ... when-idle/

Check out the latest post by John on Page 2. He's posted quite a bit on that, so I may delve deeper into that later. I already clicked the "leave Home group" button in the settings, to no avail. Dell will get back to me on Monday after more consultations with MS and their other tech teams. They tried a lot, without much success on my machine.

Anyone have any luck with the homegroup option?

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:58 am

Anyone have any luck with the homegroup option?

That didn't work for me. I did change settings so that all the computers are now on the same homegroup, and sharing things appropriately - to no avail. Computer still remains awake unless network card is unplugged or sleep times are super short.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Drivers and applications are typically at fault here.

Make sure all drivers are fully up to date.

As an example of the kind of programs to look out for. Burning software for example can prevent sleep. Even VoIP programs can prevent sleep. For example Ventrilo will prevent the computer from going to sleep.

You might also try manually starting maintenance under Action Center.

WinKey+X > Control Panel (Small or Large Icon View) > Action Center > Maintenance > Start Maintenace

Let maintenance complete (it could take in excess of thirty minutes) then see if system sleeps afterwards.

These are all pretty remedial items, so odds are you've already ruled these things out.

You might try using powercfg from the command line (with admin rights).

powercfg /a - will show you your supported sleep sleep states
powercfg /energy - will generate a report and should point out problem areas to you - this might lead you to why sleep isn't working
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

bazb85
Gerbil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Thank you, I'm in the midst of trying your suggestions. However, when I ran the /energy command, the generate report will not come up. IE says File Not Found (Cannot display page). How do I overcome this?

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Thank you, I'm in the midst of trying your suggestions. However, when I ran the /energy command, the generate report will not come up. IE says File Not Found (Cannot display page). How do I overcome this?

Copy the file, and place the copy on your desktop - the file is generated in a place where the program needs admin privileges to open it. On the desktop IE should be able to open it fine.

bazb85
Gerbil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Gotcha, that took care of it. I got 5 errors, 23 warnings, 22 informational. Here are the errors, any feedback to help resolve this problem would be eternally appreciated!

Analysis Results
Errors

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (On Battery)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1E2D
Port Path

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 25.26

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:11 pm

I forgot one.

"powercfg /requests" is also fairly handy.

It shows you what is presently being monopolized (and in turn maybe preventing sleep). Unfortunately it doesn't always name the culprit.

For example an open Ventrilo session just shows that the Audio Driver/Stream is in use.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:15 pm

I've run energy reports, and the only thing besides USB errors is this: "Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer." Which may be attributable to the problem.

My computer supports S3, but not S1 or S2, which is normal, right?

Also, I just observed it idle, and it seemed that right when it was supposed to enter sleep, the screen cut back on again. Two errors popped up from MpTelemetry that look like they might have something to do with windows defender - which seem to have happened right when the PC was supposed to go to idle. If you want to see these, I can try to upload them.

I have overrides for the powercfg /requests that seem to have typically caused this thing in the past, which were srvnet and "realtek audio driver"

Also, running maintenance right now.

bazb85
Gerbil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:19 pm

I tried the /request, and found the only thing coming up was the srvnet. I tried to override, yet nothing happened.

Any ideas?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 pm

That looks like the crux of the issue there. The high average CPU usage is concerning too. That implies a lot of active tasks. One of those might be preventing sleep. Use Task Manager to track that down.

WinKey + X > Control Panel (Small or Large Icons) > Power Options > Balanced (should be selected with a radio button) > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Restore plan defaults > Sleep > Sleep after > make sure on battery and plugged in now have a value (the restore defaults should have done it)

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:25 pm

srvnet is the media streaming capability of Windows

WnKey + x > Control Panel (Small or Large icons) > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > All Networks > Media Streaming > Choose media streaming options... > Turn off media streaming

The "powercfg /RequestsOverride" might be a more desirable outcome if it works.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:30 pm

My computer supports S3, but not S1 or S2, which is normal, right?

Totally normal. S1 = PoS or Power on Suspend. It derived out of APM and was the Sleep method of the 90s before Suspend To RAM (S3) came into being. Few systems still give that option anymore (often requires mucking in the BIOS to even turn it on).

I've never seen S2 supported by a device.

Also, I just observed it idle, and it seemed that right when it was supposed to enter sleep, the screen cut back on again. Two errors popped up from MpTelemetry that look like they might have something to do with windows defender - which seem to have happened right when the PC was supposed to go to idle.

Maintenance might help you then. It might have been kicking off a scheduled Defender scan right as the PC was trying to go to sleep. That's just a arrow in the dark at the moment though.

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Maintenance might help you then. It might have been kicking off a scheduled Defender scan right as the PC was trying to go to sleep. That's just a arrow in the dark at the moment though.

Thanks - Ill keep you posted. Maintenance just finished, but my screens just cut on again =(.

I tried the /request, and found the only thing coming up was the srvnet. I tried to override, yet nothing happened.

Any ideas?

For me, it's always come up under "system" with [DRIVER] ahead of it in cmd.exe. So, the way you disable it is: powercfg /requestsoverride DRIVER "srvnet" SYSTEM. You can find more information here, too: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/198047-power-plan-restore-default-settings.html

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:38 pm

powercfg –restoredefaultschemes

Seem powercfg has an unlisted command option.

This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any previously customized power plans would be removed.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Erazor:

Just as another shot in the dark. Might be worth making sure the OS is Healthy.

WinKey + X > Command Prompt (Admin)

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

On a spinning disk the above might take 10 to 15 minutes

sfc /scannow

On a spinning disk the above might take 10 to 15 minutes

Erazor GTX
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:22 pm

The past 3 times I have let my computer idle, it has slept after the time set in power options, and the /requestsoverrides I set before updating to 8.1 are working as well. I checked by opening an audio stream, and the computer still idled to sleep. Perhaps the maintenance helped? I haven't yet attempted the /scannow or /restorehealth commands yet, but things seem to working pre-update now (*knock on wood*). I'll update further if necessary. Thanks for your help, Ryu!

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Good to hear. I've seen Maintenance fix the problem before, so that may have been the silver bullet.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Ryu, Thank you!

I have 2 Win 8.1 setups, one on a Surface Pro, another in a VirtualBox VM (hosted on Linux Mint). After upgrading both to 8.1, both had issues show up in under Maintenance, including thinking that certain device drivers were not fully installed. It seems to me that Windows should tell me in more obvious ways when it's not "happy".

There's no telling what they're fixing/breaking, but both are crunching away...

bazb85
Gerbil

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Glad to hear of the success some of us are having with this! : )

I tried the override in the powercfg cmd, and it managed to override the srvnet request that popped up earlier and wouldn't go. But now that it's gone, my PC still won't sleep.

Tried a round of maintenance, still no cigar. I did update to latest drivers, to no avail.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks to the 8.1 update I am now troubleshooting one system that won't sleep and another that won't take the update. Grrrrrr.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:26 pm

bazb85 wrote:
Glad to hear of the success some of us are having with this! : )

I tried the override in the powercfg cmd, and it managed to override the srvnet request that popped up earlier and wouldn't go. But now that it's gone, my PC still won't sleep.

Tried a round of maintenance, still no cigar. I did update to latest drivers, to no avail.

Did you fix the power plan? :)

bazb85
Gerbil

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Ryu Connor,

I just realized I forgot to mention this to you earlier: I deliberately set the power plan to not sleep AFTER this problem surfaced:

I made the changes in the current plan, regardless of whether it's plugged in or not since if it does actually go to sleep, then it freezes and I have to do a hard reset and lose my work. So now I leave my laptop plugged in and it never goes to sleep mode automatically, as desired. My biggest problem is the fact that closing the lid won't get it into sleep mode. Black screen, lights still on, no response. Same thing with shutdown. It successfully restarts, but hangs on shutdown much the same way I close the lid.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Same thing with shutdown. It successfully restarts, but hangs on shutdown much the same way I close the lid.

That implies a much larger problem. Traditionally a problematic driver, service, or firmware problem.

You might try the repair efforts here.

You might also look to see if there is a firmware (BIOS) update for your laptop. May seem an arbitrary thing, but system firmware controls the implementation of the ACPI. 8.1 may be exposing a bug in the firmware.

bazb85
Gerbil

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I know it's a process of elimination, and we're definitely getting closer! I'm reading about more people afflicted with the same thing daily. It's no surprise MS pulled the 8.1 RT upgrade from their servers on Saturday since so many people were experiencing catastrophic issues. Surface PCs being bricked, completely unable to boot. Nice one, MS.

I'll have to try the suggestion you linked concerning restorehealth and scannow cmds.

I'm pretty sure I updated the BIOS firmware to latest (probably after 8.1), but I'll check. I've got a feeling it was the Solid State drive firmware that I got (fyi, no hard drive on my dell, just solid state. Not sure if this info helps).

Will send another update later this evening when I come home from work.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Good to hear. I've seen Maintenance fix the problem before, so that may have been the silver bullet.

didn't work for me, just fyi.