Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

OS X Mavericks GM

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:45 pm

Good news. OS X Mavericks GM has been released to developers. I'm downloading it now. :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: OS X Mavericks GM

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Cool, saw that on Ars this morning. Interested in seeing how awesome it supposably is. Does it have the same UI overhaul that iOS 7 got? Won't matter to me until Avid qualifies it for Pro Tools 11, and even then I might sit on Mountain Lion for a while because I'm sure it won't support PT10.3.x at all.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Cool, saw that on Ars this morning. Interested in seeing how awesome it supposably is. Does it have the same UI overhaul that iOS 7 got? Won't matter to me until Avid qualifies it for Pro Tools 11, and even then I might sit on Mountain Lion for a while because I'm sure it won't support PT10.3.x at all.

Subtle refinements. As a MacBook Air user the big news for me is documented here.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeah, the app nap stuff is cool. Best part is that you don't have to use it. Apps can opt out of it so if you have something intensive that needs to do stuff (like export from iMovie in the background) it can still run.

As a Hackintosh user it doesn't really do much for me in that department. lol
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Beelzebubba9
Gerbil

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm pretty damn excited about Mavericks. I wonder if and how much the battery life will improve by?

tipoo
Gerbil First Class

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Hopefully it will make our last gen Unibody white macbook (2.4Ghz C2D/320M/4GB) feel faster, Mountain Lion is pretty pudgy on it. Anyone running it on similar hardware and have similar feelings about Mountain Lion? Did it improve it much?

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:10 am

tipoo wrote:
Hopefully it will make our last gen Unibody white macbook (2.4Ghz C2D/320M/4GB) feel faster, Mountain Lion is pretty pudgy on it. Anyone running it on similar hardware and have similar feelings about Mountain Lion? Did it improve it much?

My older (2012) MBP ran Mountain Lion as an upgrade (had an i5 CPU - 2.5 Ghz), and it was ok. It only really slow up if I was doing a lot of things at once, or Time Machine wanted to do a back-up. That was until I removed it's mechanical drive and put in an SSD. Made a bigger improvement over any software enhancements, as it's biggest bottleneck was now removed. I had near instant power-on, and apps loaded almost instantly.

I can't wait for the new OS neither, but I don't see it drastically improving day to day performance on most machines for a typical workload - You're constrained by the physical hardware to a point, and I have already mentioned the biggest bottleneck component above (really consider taking it out!). I have keen interest on battery life enhancements Apple are touting, and improvements to Keychain. If that's as good as they hype up then Mavericks could be a home run - It could maybe squeeze an extra hour or two out my new MBP to get a solid 12+ hours runtime on a charge.

I just hope they have not filled it with some of the UI enhancements that iOS 7 has seen. I'm not it's biggest fan after the updates...
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD