Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Soldering Iron Recommendations

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:07 am

It's been years since I've used a soldering iron and I want to get a decent one but not a bank breaker to use in repairing/replacing laptop power connectors. I'm trying to figure out what would be ideal for wattage and tips. Along with should I get a plain iron, gun, or station? Every place I've been looking at recommends the Weller brand.
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 am

Both Weller and Hakko are good brands, both have very good soldering stations with adjustable temperature at around $100 price point (like WES51 or FX888D), with plenty of various tip choices.
If you want to save more - I've also heard positive things about Aoyue products but I personally never used them.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 am

I've been using a WES51 for 20 years. It runs $100-125 or so, but it's the last soldering iron you'll ever need to buy, and replacement parts are widely available. I usually run mine around 700F for general use but have varied it from 600-800F depending on the job.

For the type of work you're proposing, you will need a wet natural sponge (to keep the tip cleaned), temperature control (to avoid making bad connections or damaging the circuit board), and earth-grounding (to avoid accidental ESD damage). A good soldering station, and not a soldering gun or cheap unregulated iron from RadioShack, is the right tool for the job and totally worth the investment.

You'll also end up needing some accessories, including a couple desoldering tools. Don't go cheap on the desoldering pump -- the $1-5 units may mimic the design of $30 professional units, but tend to have poor suction, short lifespan, and no ESD protection.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Rectal Prolapse
Gerbil

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:34 am

I have an Hakko FX888D - it's a fantastic solder station! Great build quality, heats up very fast, and maintains its temperature very well.

You can't go wrong with the Hakko (or equivalent Weller). Can be had for $100 or less.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 pm

/thread jack

You couldn't have a worse sounding username than that. Is TechReport turning into HardOCP?

/end thread jack
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:34 pm

I'd always go for a Weller iron. I use a 60W with a fine flat sided tip. Never been keen on the expensive stations. For cap replacement and fitting new dc jacks A weller W61 is perfect IMO.
As for de-soldering, I refuse to use anything but my Edsyn soldapullt. Best damn solder sucker there is. http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=piw&pn=DS017LS
If we cannot be free, at least we can be cheap! FZ.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Yes, Weller is the "go to" brand for quality soldering stations.

If you're looking to get equipped on the cheap, a pair of generic Radio Shack irons (a 40W and a 25W) will get most jobs done.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

videobits
Gerbil

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:54 pm

One more vote for a simple solder station. You'll drop just under $100, but in my opinion this is the RIGHT answer.
If you are working on circuit boards....assuming that this is where the laptop power connectors are connected...then you really should be using a temperature controlled iron.

And if you've never used a station, it is hard to explain the difference. But, it makes soldering EASY and consistent. Those simple fixed wattage irons simple deliver the same power all the time. Let them sit too little before using and they are cool; let them sit too long and they start off way too hot.

Either the Hakko FX-888D or Weller WES51 would be a fine choice. We've got both at work. I like the WES51 for very small stuff but that could also be a factor of having the smaller tip on it most of the time. The Hakko wand is a little bigger around and just 'feels' better to me. And I believe the Hakko is a little more powerful, so it can deliver more heat when working on bigger connectors/junctions...check the spec sheet as I am making the more power claim from memory. I ended up buying the Hakko for my own at home.

I typically use the chisel tip that comes stock on the Hakko or just one size smaller.

I would also recommend some 63/37 solder. This will change states between liquid and solid quickly so let chance for errors if parts move while cooling.

I noticed there is a deal on Amazon now where you can pick up the iron along with a free pair of flush cutters for a good price.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-FX888D-CH ... rds=CHP170

Final thoughts. I've never been disappointed when I've invested in a nice tool. But have been frustrated when I've tried to go on the cheap and got a bad or wrong tool for the job.

KT425
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 am

I have found that the Hakko FX-888D is a great little station. It's the digital version of the discontinued FX-888. It heats up fast and has added features like sleep mode and pre-set modes, if you end up needing a certain temperature for several of your soldering projects. I tried to find the one I got online and found this one: http://www.gotopac.com/Hakko_FX888D_23BY_p/fx888d-23by-hak.htm. It appears to be on sale, comes with two free tips and free shipping to the US. Hope that helps :D .

benjaminma0606
Gerbil In Training

Help! WCS HAPPENED

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:50 pm

I'm a beginner to soldering, and the first time I soldered I think I put too much solder on the iron, and it didn't work. After that, I got burnt by the soldering iron, and dropped it on the ground. It soon burnt some of my carpet floor, and carpet got all over my soldering iron! Is there a way to clean up the iron to use it again, or am I screwed? Also I turned on the iron again thinking the carpet would melt off, but it didn't and made a few crackling noises. After that, I poured water on it, and it still didn't work! Please, someone help!

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 pm

I have an Edsyn Loner 951SX, myself. The price on the link below is higher, but I think I got mine for $70-80, I think it was on sale and it was probably ten to twelve years ago (so, inflation and all). Multiple different tips are available, and it's fully temperature controlled. I haven't used it in a bit, but it's a good unit, highly durable, and worth the money.

http://www.edsyn.com/product/951SX.html
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:31 pm

If you are on a really tight budget (or are just really cheap), I don't think you can do better than some of those Hakko 936 clones. For example, this one. I have a Hakko 936 myself, and while not as nice to use as the newer FX-888D or older FX-888, it gets the job done. Still have variable temperature, access to dozens of tips... For $20 for the price of the clone, you can't go wrong.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Re: Help! WCS HAPPENED

Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 am

benjaminma0606 wrote:
Is there a way to clean up the iron to use it again ...

Yup. YouTube will show how to fix it.

I joined TR back when I had a dead Rosewill keyboard that JBI showed me how to fix. Still works (though I (probably) need to reflow the right shift key)!

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:56 am

After looking through Amazon for a soldering iron I finally ended up at this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VI ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought it for use in making PSUs and it ended up working out quite well. For $50 with changeable tips, I don't think they could've done a better job. The reviews are pretty accurate as well. I also purchased additional tips for it at a later date for like $10. Only gripes with it is it sometimes doesn't maintain heat well enough in the tip so I can't remelt solder in really big jobs (soldering terminals) and have to use something like a gun.