Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Any gerbils going to be at SC13?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:47 am

I just found out last week that I will be attending SuperComputing 2013. I figured I'd see if any other gerbils would be there.

-SS

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Any gerbils going to be at SC13?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:48 am

Is that a Cray in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

(I don't suspect that it's going to be in DFW, is it?)

chuckula

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:49 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
I just found out last week that I will be attending SuperComputing 2013. I figured I'd see if any other gerbils would be there.

-SS

I'm not going to be there.. BUT I WISH I WAS! Have fun. Are you going as a customer from a company/university or are you representing a vendor there?
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:02 pm

chuckula wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

-SS

I'm not going to be there.. BUT I WISH I WAS! Have fun. Are you going as a customer from a company/university or are you representing a vendor there?

I have the "pleasure" of being a vendor rep. I say "pleasure" since it means I won't have as much time to explore. I'll be in the Dell booth. My company is demoing a memcached appliance that uses Dell servers and our hybrid compute add in card as an application accelerator. Dell is excited enough about it to provide equipment and booth space.

-SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Airmantharp wrote:

Nope -- balmy Denver, CO. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Ahh, I miss those. Went to a couple while I was working for Fermilab way back in the day. Cool hardware, interesting talks, and some really nice vendor events! (Intel's 25th anniversary party was mind-blowing...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:48 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

Nope -- balmy Denver, CO. :)

Yeah, that's a bit much for an enthusiast. [RP]Besides, CO is on the bad list for letting too many liberals into power.[/RP]

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Got back Thursday night. It was any interesting experience -- my first industry conference. I was in the Dell booth and my company was announcing appliance using Dell servers and Dell decided to host us in their booth. Three days of standing, doing booth duty, is very tiring. I did get some time to walk around though.

Water cooling had a huge presence. CPUs, GPUs, blades, frames, cabinates -- you name it, there was a water cooling solution for it on display.

IBM had a very intersting "history of super computing" display. They went from vacuum tubes to their current supercomputer blades.

On the other end of the spectrum, there was a lego based Turing machine. I didn't get to see it run as I had to get back to my job, but it was quite impressive just to look at.

One of the most eye catching things at the show was the LED cubes. Several vendors had them out, in varying sizes. In most cases, they were actually being used as visualization devices. This particular one was being used to show a job scheduler algorithm at work.

Arm is on its way. This was an ARM board connected to a GPU. It was only a 32bit ARM processor though. ARM64 wasn't at the show, or at least I couldn't find it if it was.

Some other random shots from around the show. The blurry ones and the ones with flares on the lighting are due to a smudged lens on my phone that I forgot to wipe off...

The weather was wonderful, sunny and around 60F, until Thursday. A storm moved through just after midnight Thursday morning. Woke up to snow and about 25F. Snowed all day and it was about 15F when I got to the airport about 4PM.

--SS

chuckula

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks for the photos man! I've been to a couple of tradeshows, but I've never had to work a booth. I hope you didn't get hit too hard by the massive weather change, I always tend to get a cold when stuff like that happens.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.