Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

mdrejhon
Gerbil
Topic Author

Eizo FG2421 -- 240Hz VA 5000:1 -- LightBoost-like strobing

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Eizo just announced their Foris FG2421 monitor:
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/for ... index.html

This is a 240Hz VA panel (120Hz native, double-pass refresh, strobe on 2nd clean refresh).
This finally bring great colors, 5000:1 contrast ratio AND an vendor-sanctioned official strobe backlight -- to a gaming monitor!!!
I've been waiting years for this type of monitor.

Eizo's white paper on their Turbo240 strobing:
http://gaming.eizo.com/wp-content/uploa ... epaper.pdf

The great news is:
-- It's 100% PWM free in regular desktop mode. Zero flicker and eye friendly...
-- You can make it "go into CRT motion clarity mode" with its strobe backlight, whenever you play a game.
-- Turbo240 strobing is an easily accessed feature (just press a monitor button)
-- Works on all graphics card; not limited to NVIDIA or AMD

The year 2014 is exciting. Low-persistence official strobe-backlight monitors are finally coming out (Eizo Turbo240, plus NVIDIA G-SYNC low-persistence mode), after LightBoosts' reign as an unofficial method of eliminating motion blur. Optional/adjustable CRT quality motion on flat panel desktop monitors will eventually become more common.
Thanks
Mark Rejhon

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Eizo FG2421 -- 240Hz VA 5000:1 -- LightBoost-like strobi

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:35 am

Curious how much of a markup will be on that monitor, plus the default resolution isn't that great either 1600X1080...

mdrejhon
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:46 am

Just to clarify; it's 1920x1080

Currently it's available for preorder on Amazon for $555.
Which isn't too bad, considering Eizo's existing price for the Foris FS2333 ($400 for 60Hz).

Generally:
60Hz - baseline
120Hz - 50% less motion blur than 60Hz
strobed - ~80-95% less motion blur than 60Hz.

(LightBoost measured 85%-92% less motion blur than 60Hz)

Modern high-efficiency motion blur reduction strobe backlights have the uncanny ability to maintain CRT-like motion clarity during very fast panning motion. A lot of strobe-backlight monitors have been announced/revealed (essentially clones of LightBoost, but official for 2D motion blur reduction):
-- G-SYNC optional strobe mode (revealed a week ago)
-- Eizo's Turbo240 strobe mode in FG2421 (announced yesterday)
-- BENQ Motion Blur Reduction mode on XL2720Z (announced today)
Thanks
Mark Rejhon

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:54 am

Color me interested. I purchased a VA monitor a couple years ago and was pleased overall with it for general use but the motion blur bothered me more than I thought it would in gaming. The gamma shift on solid colors was also kind of striking but on the other hand I've never seen blacks as deep from a flat screen (well, maybe on the AMOLED screen on my smart phone).

I've heard they've made some strides with fixing the gamma shift (AU Optics, that is) and with the strobing and higher refresh rate it will probably be great for gaming too.

I own a U2312HM now and am generally happy with it, but the anti glare coating bothers me a bit when browsing the web (usually on white pages). The BenQ VA monitor had a nice semi-AG coating that I thought was great. Hopefully Eizo went with the semi-AG coating. The black levels also aren't as great.

$500 is too much for me to stomach right now ($300 is my limit) but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for deals. Thanks.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:38 am

I am interested also....how do the blacks compare to say a good plasma screen, properly adjusted.

People tend to adjust them incorrectly "plasmas" and make them way too bright.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

mdrejhon
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 pm

vargis14 wrote:
I am interested also....how do the blacks compare to say a good plasma screen, properly adjusted.

Surprisingly competitively.
A plasma lover from HardForum has given his "stamp of approval" on the Eizo FG2421:
Morkai wrote:
Got it today, set it up, and its great overall.
The first and only LCD so far i'd call good enough for anything, with no big flaws that affect any type of use. The first lcd monitor possible to recommend to people, without knowing what they will use it for.

Here is a picture and some points (have to go out for a while, can test input lag later or tomorrow):

*Can count the windows at the maximum speed on the testufo.com - moving photo. Photo looks just as sharp as lightboost. No ghosting at the fastest speed on bright content. (Mark, if you read this, can't you add faster speeds to the tests?).
*Great overall quality, quality still great in strobemode. (simply used calibrated settings from the review for now).
*Mild coating, it is mildly reflective. I do not personally feel the need to remove it.
*Blacks really look black, as long as there is anything else to contrast with. A pure black screen in a dark room looks dark gray/purplish (ips/tn look bright gray in the same room).
*Does not flicker to my eyes in strobemode (lightboost 120 does flicker for me, mildly - i suspect lightboost just has too short strobes?)
*Uniformity is great, but not perfect. Minor clouding top right corner, only visible in a dark room. Still one of the most uniform lcds i've seen. The macbook pro retina (samsung panel) is still the most uniform LCD i have seen, probably hard to see in this bad picture.

Two cons I can come up with:
*Mild ghosting or overdrive trailing of bright objects on black (such as the testufo). Not visible unless its bright on dark background.
* [Edit: It does tilt. Just offered some resistance the first time]

Awarded with the first time ever LCD "bah, it's good enough until OLED" award!
Picture of Panasonic VT60 in the back, with a macbook pro retina to the left, the eizo middle, and a 7.7" OLED in the corner between the macbook and the eizo. All displaying black screens.
Both the eizo and the macbook have led logos that might reflect on the plasma, but i tried to hide them.
I'll try sort a better pic later.

The brighter rectangle at the left is the Macbook. The Eizo is the invisible one in the middle.
Then he started playing a game:
Morkai wrote:
Tried some games now @120fps, and that really gave a "wow" feeling.
The sharpness of LCD, the motion clarity of CRT, great colors and general quality of VA.

So you hear it from an actual user who just finally got his hands on his monitor -- The Eizo is approved by CRT/plasma snobs. The strobe backlight works pretty well on VA panels!
Thanks
Mark Rejhon