13"-15" Tablets

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

13"-15" Tablets

Postposted on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:40 am

Hey Guys,

I'm not necessarily personally in the buying phase but in the preliminary research phase of trying to find a full fledged windows 8 mobile device. I'm looking for something that might classify as a little unique(if it even exists), I was wondering if a 13" tablet that had similar features to a MS surface pro 2 might exist? Sure it can have a yoga type hidden keyboard functionality to it but I want to be able to use it for sketching and the pro is ever so delicately too small for these things but the stylus is the best I think is out there. The Surface pro is 3-5 inches smaller than I really care for.

I guess I mean to ask is it the only device in town for what I want right now or is there something in that 13-15" range?
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Re: 13"-15" Tablets

Postposted on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:18 am

I see that there is a ThinkPad Yoga coming out eventually:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/th ... ries/yoga/

Cool thing is you can really get a beastly machine in that. Sad thing is I think the stylus is the pressure sensitive element rather than the touch surface on the display, making it good but not as good as a MS surface pro.

There there is the Yoga 2 Pro, a DAMN sexy machine, if only it had solid stylus support:
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 am

You can refer to the 13" tablet discussion for some background knowledge.

To me, 15" tablets will be to heavy to be held like a tablet. Not sure I have seen even a 13" one with a stylus. And then you have the Wacom vs the world debate for the digitizer, if you need to be pressure sensitive.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:55 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:I see that there is a ThinkPad Yoga coming out eventually:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/th ... ries/yoga/

Cool thing is you can really get a beastly machine in that. Sad thing is I think the stylus is the pressure sensitive element rather than the touch surface on the display, making it good but not as good as a MS surface pro.

There there is the Yoga 2 Pro, a DAMN sexy machine, if only it had solid stylus support:

The Yoga is amazing, but its display technology is designed to produce inaccurate colors, so it's probably not the best choice if art is your thing.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:12 am

What do you mean by it's 'designed to produce inaccurate colors'?
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:24 am

Flying Fox wrote:To me, 15" tablets will be to heavy to be held like a tablet. Not sure I have seen even a 13" one with a stylus. And then you have the Wacom vs the world debate for the digitizer, if you need to be pressure sensitive.

I'd like one because it'd be less awkward to carry around in your own house than a laptop, while keeping power and connectivity up. Do I need one? Probably not...
I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:37 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:What do you mean by it's 'designed to produce inaccurate colors'?

After its release, the 'net was ablaze with people complaining that there was something wrong with their screens -- instead of being bright and vibrant, yellows were coming up murky and brownish. It seemed like a flaw, but it was odd because almost everyone reported the problem. Lenovo eventually revealed that the colors were not a flaw, but a result of the way the colors are generated by the panel, which is based on new technology.

The Yoga 2 screens are very nice and detailed, but the colors aren't accurate enough for any sort of graphic work.
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:23 pm

The QHD screen of the Yoga 2 Pro (3200x1800) leverage a Samsung Pentile Matrix RGBW panel.

This means each pixel contains four sub-pixels. Red, Green, Blue, and Blue with Yellow phosphor (White).

It can leverage that extra sub-pixel to provide a brighter display for less juice, but the consequence is imperfect color accuracy. Lenovo states in the above article it can be mitigated by giving up some power efficiency, but doesn't clarify how effective their mitigation is.

The Samsung Ativ that uses the QHD panels suffers from this same flaw. As Samsung is apparently the sole source for QHD 13" panels at this time and they all use this Pentile Matrix RGBW design.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 am

Ryu Connor wrote:The QHD screen of the Yoga 2 Pro (3200x1800) leverage a Samsung Pentile Matrix RGBW panel.

This means each pixel contains four sub-pixels. Red, Green, Blue, and Blue with Yellow phosphor (White).

It can leverage that extra sub-pixel to provide a brighter display for less juice, but the consequence is imperfect color accuracy. Lenovo states in the above article it can be mitigated by giving up some power efficiency, but doesn't clarify how effective their mitigation is.

The Samsung Ativ that uses the QHD panels suffers from this same flaw. As Samsung is apparently the sole source for QHD 13" panels at this time and they all use this Pentile Matrix RGBW design.

This is disappointing. Hopefully a competitor will rise up and challenge them.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Flying Fox wrote:You can refer to the 13" tablet discussion for some background knowledge.

To me, 15" tablets will be to heavy to be held like a tablet. Not sure I have seen even a 13" one with a stylus. And then you have the Wacom vs the world debate for the digitizer, if you need to be pressure sensitive.

Tends to be that every review I've read has called a non wacom stylus "adequate" not a real endorsement. Not when you drop so much coin. The more I look the more it looks like the surface pro 2 has a sweet spot hammered out by lack of price competitive products on the market. The Wacom 13" tablet is just too expensive and doesn't have current hardware inside it.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/19/waco ... n-tablets/
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Ok, spent some time with the MS surface pro 2 this last weekend. HOLLY CRAP its awesome. I'd love a 15" version of that too. I'd get both! It was a better experience than the first time I used a tablet. Blew my mind! I wish there was some sort of standard Wacom digitizer you could use with a normal capacitive product cause then a Retina 15" Yoga with one of those or something. At any rate I was hooked. I find the finger input sorta clumsy for productivity and the stylus just blends the best of laptop and touch screen into one awesome environment. Wish there was a built in holster for it though.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:21 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and at first I used the stylus a lot, now I rarely touch it. The screen is really too small to use effectively on creative work other than simple sketches and the like. Don't purchase based on a touch stylus, use an external drawing pad instead if you intend to do that.

Also, for me, having the hunk of glass between the pen tip and the result was more odd than using a separate tablet that you don't look at while drawing.
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:25 pm

HP's Split X2 seems pretty nice but I haven't spent actual time with it.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/detachables/products.html

Also I have no idea what the colors will be on it's screen.
paco
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:56 am

liquidsquid wrote:I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and at first I used the stylus a lot, now I rarely touch it. The screen is really too small to use effectively on creative work other than simple sketches and the like. Don't purchase based on a touch stylus, use an external drawing pad instead if you intend to do that.

Also, for me, having the hunk of glass between the pen tip and the result was more odd than using a separate tablet that you don't look at while drawing.

As I said, productivity with fingers in real desktop apps or style apps like Google apps is super clumsy, slow and painful. The stylus saves the day, IMHO. Not just for drawing and doodling, that is just plain fun not productivity. I mean for working through excell on a 10" screen. Blew my mind. I also tried the Galaxy note and was similarly impressed but the stylus for the windows product was better, the integrated eraser function was really cool and I think works best when using the note taking functions. Also the lack of one note working with the stylus on the Galaxy hurts it IMHO. When MS figures out mobile finally I'll get a galaxy. Until then for a few more bucks I can get a real computer.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:00 am

paco wrote:HP's Split X2 seems pretty nice but I haven't spent actual time with it.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/detachables/products.html

Also I have no idea what the colors will be on it's screen.

Interesting but I didn't see stylus input via digitizer as a feature???
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 am

Seems we will start getting these soon.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 pm

The new surface pro 3 is a dream. Price being my only contention I think the entry price is a rip off and the target hardware is overpriced. But the specs are dead on for what I want.
kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:46 am

The Surface 3 sits in my mind this way:

1. It gets too hot, then throttles back and takes a performance hit each and every time it's strained for extended periods
2. We're only about 6 months away from MS potentially replacing the Haswells with Broadwells, which will mitigate the heat problem
3. It's super expensive for what you're getting

I keep telling myself that in the world of computers there's always something better around the corner so (2) isn't a real reason to wait, but it'd knock off (1), and make (3) a little easier to accept. If only there'd be a sale, it might be worth it...
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Mobile Tech