Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

IE11 + Gmail

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:05 pm

I admit it, I'm using IE11. I kind of like it, even. One problem: in Gmail, I get an alert that I'm using compatibility view, even though I'm pretty sure I am not. I go to Tools -> Compatibility View Options and there's a list of sites that I've enabled CV for (and there's just one there, something I use for work on occasion) and Google/Gmail/etc are not listed. But Gmail is pretty sure I've got it turned on.

Is there a way to go out of my way to ensure that a site is NOT using Compatibility View? I guess it isn't hurting anything other than the annoying alert at the top of the screen.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: IE11 + Gmail

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Have you hit F12 and checked what IE is actually using for Browser Mode and Document Mode?
You could also try changing the User Agent string and see if it stops complaining. Possibly Google just has an "If(IE) Then Bitch()" routine.
I don't have Win8/ie11 handy ATM so I can't check to see if I get the same thing.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Re: IE11 + Gmail

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:59 pm

The screen you get when you hit F12 is vastly different than what it is in IE10/Win7. In IE10 (on a VM) it says it's in IE10/standards mode and I don't get the nag. In IE11 the developer tools look like this. (I deleted some html code from the window so it didn't give away any gmail URLs or other personal info but this is basically how it looks)

edit: oh, wait, here we go. Clicking on that computer-looking icon gives me a document type drop-down. It's selected to 10 by default. Changing it to "edge" is apparently the IE11 mode and it works.

I also managed to get the nag to go away by un-checking the option for MS compatibility lists, so apparently MS thinks IE11 needs to use CV for Gmail. Good enough explanation I guess, though I didn't notice anything weird in "edge" mode.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen