Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

13"-15" Tablets

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:40 am

Hey Guys,

I'm not necessarily personally in the buying phase but in the preliminary research phase of trying to find a full fledged windows 8 mobile device. I'm looking for something that might classify as a little unique(if it even exists), I was wondering if a 13" tablet that had similar features to a MS surface pro 2 might exist? Sure it can have a yoga type hidden keyboard functionality to it but I want to be able to use it for sketching and the pro is ever so delicately too small for these things but the stylus is the best I think is out there. The Surface pro is 3-5 inches smaller than I really care for.

I guess I mean to ask is it the only device in town for what I want right now or is there something in that 13-15" range?

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: 13"-15" Tablets

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:18 am

I see that there is a ThinkPad Yoga coming out eventually:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/th ... ries/yoga/

Cool thing is you can really get a beastly machine in that. Sad thing is I think the stylus is the pressure sensitive element rather than the touch surface on the display, making it good but not as good as a MS surface pro.

There there is the Yoga 2 Pro, a DAMN sexy machine, if only it had solid stylus support:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 am

You can refer to the 13" tablet discussion for some background knowledge.

To me, 15" tablets will be to heavy to be held like a tablet. Not sure I have seen even a 13" one with a stylus. And then you have the Wacom vs the world debate for the digitizer, if you need to be pressure sensitive.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:55 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
I see that there is a ThinkPad Yoga coming out eventually:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/th ... ries/yoga/

Cool thing is you can really get a beastly machine in that. Sad thing is I think the stylus is the pressure sensitive element rather than the touch surface on the display, making it good but not as good as a MS surface pro.

There there is the Yoga 2 Pro, a DAMN sexy machine, if only it had solid stylus support:

The Yoga is amazing, but its display technology is designed to produce inaccurate colors, so it's probably not the best choice if art is your thing.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:12 am

What do you mean by it's 'designed to produce inaccurate colors'?

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:24 am

Flying Fox wrote:
To me, 15" tablets will be to heavy to be held like a tablet. Not sure I have seen even a 13" one with a stylus. And then you have the Wacom vs the world debate for the digitizer, if you need to be pressure sensitive.

I'd like one because it'd be less awkward to carry around in your own house than a laptop, while keeping power and connectivity up. Do I need one? Probably not...
Meow.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:37 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
What do you mean by it's 'designed to produce inaccurate colors'?

After its release, the 'net was ablaze with people complaining that there was something wrong with their screens -- instead of being bright and vibrant, yellows were coming up murky and brownish. It seemed like a flaw, but it was odd because almost everyone reported the problem. Lenovo eventually revealed that the colors were not a flaw, but a result of the way the colors are generated by the panel, which is based on new technology.

The Yoga 2 screens are very nice and detailed, but the colors aren't accurate enough for any sort of graphic work.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:23 pm

The QHD screen of the Yoga 2 Pro (3200x1800) leverage a Samsung Pentile Matrix RGBW panel.

This means each pixel contains four sub-pixels. Red, Green, Blue, and Blue with Yellow phosphor (White).

It can leverage that extra sub-pixel to provide a brighter display for less juice, but the consequence is imperfect color accuracy. Lenovo states in the above article it can be mitigated by giving up some power efficiency, but doesn't clarify how effective their mitigation is.

The Samsung Ativ that uses the QHD panels suffers from this same flaw. As Samsung is apparently the sole source for QHD 13" panels at this time and they all use this Pentile Matrix RGBW design.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
The QHD screen of the Yoga 2 Pro (3200x1800) leverage a Samsung Pentile Matrix RGBW panel.

This means each pixel contains four sub-pixels. Red, Green, Blue, and Blue with Yellow phosphor (White).

It can leverage that extra sub-pixel to provide a brighter display for less juice, but the consequence is imperfect color accuracy. Lenovo states in the above article it can be mitigated by giving up some power efficiency, but doesn't clarify how effective their mitigation is.

The Samsung Ativ that uses the QHD panels suffers from this same flaw. As Samsung is apparently the sole source for QHD 13" panels at this time and they all use this Pentile Matrix RGBW design.

This is disappointing. Hopefully a competitor will rise up and challenge them.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
You can refer to the 13" tablet discussion for some background knowledge.

Tends to be that every review I've read has called a non wacom stylus "adequate" not a real endorsement. Not when you drop so much coin. The more I look the more it looks like the surface pro 2 has a sweet spot hammered out by lack of price competitive products on the market. The Wacom 13" tablet is just too expensive and doesn't have current hardware inside it.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/19/waco ... n-tablets/

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Ok, spent some time with the MS surface pro 2 this last weekend. HOLLY CRAP its awesome. I'd love a 15" version of that too. I'd get both! It was a better experience than the first time I used a tablet. Blew my mind! I wish there was some sort of standard Wacom digitizer you could use with a normal capacitive product cause then a Retina 15" Yoga with one of those or something. At any rate I was hooked. I find the finger input sorta clumsy for productivity and the stylus just blends the best of laptop and touch screen into one awesome environment. Wish there was a built in holster for it though.

liquidsquid

Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:21 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and at first I used the stylus a lot, now I rarely touch it. The screen is really too small to use effectively on creative work other than simple sketches and the like. Don't purchase based on a touch stylus, use an external drawing pad instead if you intend to do that.

Also, for me, having the hunk of glass between the pen tip and the result was more odd than using a separate tablet that you don't look at while drawing.

paco

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:25 pm

HP's Split X2 seems pretty nice but I haven't spent actual time with it.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/detachables/products.html

Also I have no idea what the colors will be on it's screen.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:56 am

liquidsquid wrote:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and at first I used the stylus a lot, now I rarely touch it. The screen is really too small to use effectively on creative work other than simple sketches and the like. Don't purchase based on a touch stylus, use an external drawing pad instead if you intend to do that.

Also, for me, having the hunk of glass between the pen tip and the result was more odd than using a separate tablet that you don't look at while drawing.

As I said, productivity with fingers in real desktop apps or style apps like Google apps is super clumsy, slow and painful. The stylus saves the day, IMHO. Not just for drawing and doodling, that is just plain fun not productivity. I mean for working through excell on a 10" screen. Blew my mind. I also tried the Galaxy note and was similarly impressed but the stylus for the windows product was better, the integrated eraser function was really cool and I think works best when using the note taking functions. Also the lack of one note working with the stylus on the Galaxy hurts it IMHO. When MS figures out mobile finally I'll get a galaxy. Until then for a few more bucks I can get a real computer.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:00 am

paco wrote:
HP's Split X2 seems pretty nice but I haven't spent actual time with it.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/detachables/products.html

Also I have no idea what the colors will be on it's screen.

Interesting but I didn't see stylus input via digitizer as a feature???

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 am

Seems we will start getting these soon.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Arvald wrote:

The new surface pro 3 is a dream. Price being my only contention I think the entry price is a rip off and the target hardware is overpriced. But the specs are dead on for what I want.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:46 am

The Surface 3 sits in my mind this way:

1. It gets too hot, then throttles back and takes a performance hit each and every time it's strained for extended periods
2. We're only about 6 months away from MS potentially replacing the Haswells with Broadwells, which will mitigate the heat problem
3. It's super expensive for what you're getting

I keep telling myself that in the world of computers there's always something better around the corner so (2) isn't a real reason to wait, but it'd knock off (1), and make (3) a little easier to accept. If only there'd be a sale, it might be worth it...

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:33 am

FireGryphon wrote:
The Surface 3 sits in my mind this way:

1. It gets too hot, then throttles back and takes a performance hit each and every time it's strained for extended periods
2. We're only about 6 months away from MS potentially replacing the Haswells with Broadwells, which will mitigate the heat problem
3. It's super expensive for what you're getting

I keep telling myself that in the world of computers there's always something better around the corner so (2) isn't a real reason to wait, but it'd knock off (1), and make (3) a little easier to accept. If only there'd be a sale, it might be worth it...

I just saw your response. I ordered a surface pro 3 last night with a $300 dollar discount. I hope it works out a little better than your sumation, but thanks for the input non the less.

Most notably horrid thing about the windows tablets these days is the intel graphics that powers them. Intel graphics just plain suck! They can't even do decent numbers for games like star craft 2 or diablo 3 and those are old flipping games with primitive tech driving them.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:49 am

At $300 off the SP3 is a little easier to swallow. At this point I probably would have waited a bit for the next iteration, but I don't have a huge need for it right now. As it stands the SP3 is a great machine, and I want to hear how you like it after you've used it for a couple months. I imagine it'll be downright luxurious.

Shame if that's true about gaming. I would think modern soc's have good, even if not great gpu's, but I guess we can't have everything. The SP3 is about the best mix of features and performance for a tablet that can do real work, so gaming takes a back seat.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:09 am

Most notably horrid thing about the windows tablets these days is the intel graphics that powers them. Intel graphics just plain suck! They can't even do decent numbers for games like star craft 2 or diablo 3 and those are old flipping games with primitive tech driving them.

This is what keeps me using discrete graphics. Blizzard isn't really making anything strenuous, but these games still don't run acceptably well even at minimum configuration. StarCraft can run "okay" at minimum details, I guess, but it's beyond butt-ugly.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:50 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

This is what keeps me using discrete graphics. Blizzard isn't really making anything strenuous, but these games still don't run acceptably well even at minimum configuration. StarCraft can run "okay" at minimum details, I guess, but it's beyond butt-ugly.

Are you talking about the older Intel graphics? I think the new ones are supposed to run even SC2 decently. On the SP3 you just need to turn down some eyecandies and resolution (remember the SP3 has quite high native resolution to begin with)? Seems like Civ 5 played ok as well.
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/st ... -i7.10921/
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:05 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Are you talking about the older Intel graphics? I think the new ones are supposed to run even SC2 decently. On the SP3 you just need to turn down some eyecandies and resolution (remember the SP3 has quite high native resolution to begin with)? Seems like Civ 5 played ok as well.
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/st ... -i7.10921/

Friday I tried to give SC2 a swing... Total mess. Intel integrated might have finally achieved the ability to play half life and youtube ok, but it can't handle a primitive isometric game from 3 years ago well at all. It seriously chuggs. I googled performance for the intel solution in the SP3, its one of the best options available but it still is horrid to do any level of gaming on. Honestly i suspect the GPU on my nexus 5 is more powerful, lol.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:56 am

This is somewhat left field but the Motion R12 is pretty good and would do what you need. Although it might be out of your price range (2k+). I've not colour tested the screen, but it seems pretty accurate to me and I am picky with monitors.

https://www.motioncomputing.com/au/prod ... ablets/r12
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:43 pm

dragmor wrote:
This is somewhat left field but the Motion R12 is pretty good and would do what you need. Although it might be out of your price range (2k+). I've not colour tested the screen, but it seems pretty accurate to me and I am picky with monitors.

https://www.motioncomputing.com/au/prod ... ablets/r12

Got to say that is out of left field but its also flipping awesome.

So I'm a little underwhelmed by the surface pro 3's performance. I'd love something with a discrete GPU option in the $800-$1,300 range. I might return this and swap for something else. Can you guys update me on any recommendations there? Allot has changed in the market place since I started this thread. Note I'm open to a convertible but I'd still LOVE to have a quality stylus option.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT/ADDON:

In my search I found nothing that includes a discrete GPU and a digitizer. :(

Its super annoying how expensive windows computers are, and how generally inferior many of their components are to a darn $400 dollar ipad or Andriod tablet. Those pack amazing screens, great cameras, powerful integrated graphics, amazing build qulaity, compared to intel/windows and some awesome battery life/power efficiency. I can't imagine the major issue with windows is some sort of arbitrary darn intel limitation... Meanwhile AMD is totally not present in a meaningful way because intel still is trouncing them in the processor end of this business. Gosh this is like a flash back to laptops 10 years ago... grossly under powered next to a bargain basement desktop all over again.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:42 pm

Wanted to update this, I have figured how to tweak the comp and learned the stylus, and the new version of one note... its pretty awesome. Logging some good hours on SC2, and D3 on this thing plus all the stuff you always hoped you could do with a tablet. I'm a believer now.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:30 pm

Another note, the biggest disappointment of the surface pro 3 is the quality of the expensive keyboard attachment. The keys are mushy and the touch pad is atrocious. The touchpad has a issue were in there are no buttons yet the pad itself has a mechanical left and right click. More often than not you right click when you mean to left click and vice versa. Also with the buttons being part of the pad you think, "oh well I'll just mouse with my right hand and click with my left" or something of the sort but remember the buttons are touch so having more than a single digit messes it up so that doesn't work. End of the day the attachment is about the same as using the device w/o it. The greatest gain from the attachment is the increased realestate when typing. But given the new hinge of the surface I honestly wouldn't recommend dealing with the keyboard cover and would instead spend the same money on the microsoft blue tooth mouse and keyboard for it. Then you get dramatically improved typing and mousing when its called for, while having a thinner and more mobile device the rest of the time.