Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

What is Google up to?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:08 am

Seems like Google is building something in San Francisco bay and in Portland Harbor, Maine. Off shore data centers, scientific research, publicity stunt, or something else entirely? No one has a clue what it is. Reports say its a four story tall structure on barges but that is all any one knows. Its all hidden behind Non Disclosure agreements.

http://centurylink.net/news/read/category/technology/article/ap-what_is_google_building_out_in_san_franc-ap

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Re: What is Google up to?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 am

Weird. Is that made from freight containers? It looks just like cheap office buildings or one of those ultra cheap hotels.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 am

Another site has reported that they are upscale VIP showrooms for Glass concepts.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:19 am

Stage 2 of the HAARP program....

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 am

OK, y'all can stop the R&P right there.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:31 am

axeman wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't find Google Glass the least bit interesting? Why all the hype about it?

I'm totally with you. Very "meh" concept to me.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:30 am

axeman wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
axeman wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't find Google Glass the least bit interesting? Why all the hype about it?

I'm totally with you. Very "meh" concept to me.

I think if anyone other than Google was working on this, you would hear way less about it.

Well here's the thing...

Transparent "paddle" displays like this has been around for several years, but they have historically been bulky and very expensive, which has ruled out their use in consumer-oriented products. Google seems to be homing in on the size/resolution/cost sweet spot to make this type of "augmented reality" display accessible to the masses.

I suspect it is one of those technologies which will explode once it reaches critical mass and more developers start creating apps that take advantage of it.

Microsoft is also hedging their bets by working on their own version of it. This does not surprise me; if I was them I'd be deathly afraid of being late to the party (again) if it does take off...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm

axeman wrote:

Think of it as a Bluetooth headset pumped full of Lance Armstrong level doping agents.

trackerben

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:05 am

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/06/google ... echnology/
Google Says Its Mystery Barges May Be Used As Interactive Space Where People Can Learn About Its Technology

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:28 am

axeman wrote:

You don't want a wearable heads up display? Gah, I want one just so I can have some help putting names to people's faces.

Plus, I want great big glowy arrows to appear in the middle of intersections as I drive so I can pretend I'm playing Saints Row IV in my Prius.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Lucky Jack Aubrey

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:40 am

Darkmage wrote:
You don't want a wearable heads up display? Gah, I want one just so I can have some help putting names to people's faces.

I could use that help, for damn sure. Sold, if they ever actually pull off something like that.