Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Need a good coolant

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I read many posts about cooling systems but not enough about the actual coolant that goes in them. I have the old Corsair Nautilus 500 external cooling system for my cpu and recently the pump got clogged, which was an easy fix. But i think the coolant created residue inside it.

I am looking for a good coolant and read some bad reviews about the popular Thermaltake one, which should be used only in Thermaltake systems. And read some good reviews about the Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid - 1000 ml - UV Blue which is not so popular.

Any ideas of what coolant I should get to keep my water pump alive just a bit longer ? My cpu usually idle at 40c
Use your password like your toothbrush, don't let anyone else use it and change it every six months.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Need a good coolant

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Go to the grocery store or pharmacy and get a gallon of distilled water for 2 bucks.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Gotta agree with the above. I'd also suggest a silver kill coil.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks guys. Didn't expect such an easy solution.
Use your password like your toothbrush, don't let anyone else use it and change it every six months.

My Johnson
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Two dissimilar metals sets up a weak current that oxidizes metals. You need distilled water because without minerals water doesn't carry an electrical current. You also want antifreeze for the additives that impede corrosion because distilled water is not perfectly mineral free. But antifreeze does not have the high specific heat water has, so you should do a fitty fitty mix. Those two things ought to keep the system functional for awhile.

f0d
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm

i would also like to say deionized demineralized (same as distilled water i think) with silver kill coil is best (no additives at all just the water)

i have had some watercooled systems running for years without any issue with this setup and the components and water are still clean and clear 3+ years later

i would never go any other way imo

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 pm

You won't find a much better coolant than water due to it's high specific heat capacity. And nothing close for the money distilled water costs. Adding antifreeze (aka, ethylene glycol) and some silver and/or biocide is a good precaution to. The added viscocity of the ethylene glycol can also help a bit to lubricate the pump, which may give it a bit of extra longevity.

I use Dazmode Protector as an additive to distilled water because it's reasonably cheap and does the job. It contains ethylene glycol as well as a few other biocidal chemicals. One $7 bottle is good for a couple of liters - which should last for multiple fills in a closed loop cooler - and you don't have to worry about adding separate additives/silver.

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:56 pm

cynan wrote:
You won't find a much better coolant than water due to it's high specific heat capacity.

There's a reason most of us call it "Water Cooling" instead just "Liquid Cooling". :P
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:02 pm

mortifiedPenguin wrote:
cynan wrote:
You won't find a much better coolant than water due to it's high specific heat capacity.
There's a reason most of us call it "Water Cooling" instead just "Liquid Cooling". :P

According to this chart the only thing better is pure ammonia. That has so much fail written all over it (including the hellish toxicity) that it's a non-starter (though someone will probably try).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/speci ... d_151.html
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
According to this chart the only thing better is pure ammonia. That has so much fail written all over it (including the hellish toxicity) that it's a non-starter (though someone will probably try).

As you probably know but some of TR's younger demographic may not, ammonia was an early refrigerant. It was not unheard of for a few refrigeration techs to be blinded and burned when accidentally loosening or piercing a pressurized pipe or fitting. There are still some commercial ammonia-based systems in use but special training and protective equipment are required.
Last edited by ludi on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:55 pm

ludi wrote:
There are still some commercial systems in use but special training and protective equipment is required.

My sister and her husband run a commercial ice-making plant. The local FD has a special training session there every year due to the volume of anhydrous ammonia.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.