Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class

Re: So much for 290x's claimed "1GHz"...

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:01 am

Update: Based on your feedback, I took the IceQ X2 cooler off the HIS Radeon R9 280X and stuck it on our R9 290 sample. Cooling was dramatically improved. The FurMark stress test maxed out at 76 degrees while the card never exceeded 63 degrees in Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4. So it seems as expected the board partners will be able to solve the heat issues of the reference card.

http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd- ... page8.html

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Yet still no sign of OEMs offering their own cooling solutions. Although I suppose it's still early? Maybe AMD has leveraged a temporary embargo on them so that they can dump some of their lackluster reference coolers, which nobody in their right mind would buy (in most situations) once these superior cooling options are available.

Edit: What was AMD thinking? How could they have been caught off guard with the performance/watt of Hawaii like this? Is it really so hard to make a blower cooler that has a housing/shroud that overhangs the height of the PCB by a cm or 2 to 1) accommodate a larger fan 2)larger air-intake port 3) more fins? And how about a less restrictive exhaust? Most cases/enclosures could easily accommodate a bit of extra height, if they wanted to forgo a triple slot design. Maybe they were worried these wouldn't make it into Steamboxes?

wierdo
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:45 pm

I would imagine these early reference cards would sell well in the overclocking community, they wont be keeping the cooling setup on the card so it's a non-issue.

Other than early adopters, though, it makes no sense imho to jump the gun, might as well wait for third party coolers to show up and help this chip perform ideally in noise, cooling and - by extension for this design - performance.
“The world belongs to optimists. Pessimists are only spectators.” — Francois Guizot

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:54 pm

wierdo wrote:
I would imagine these early reference cards would sell well in the overclocking community, they wont be keeping the cooling setup on the card so it's a non-issue.

Other than early adopters, though, it makes no sense imho to jump the gun, might as well wait for third party coolers to show up and help this chip perform ideally in noise, cooling and - by extension for this design - performance.

Welcome to TR, sane person!

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:02 pm

My 2 cents: that's well and good, but the harsh reality is that these cards don't seem to perform at the level that's promised when bought. They have gotchas. A gotcha is "a feature that works as advertised but not as expected".

One face of the coin: granted, there is some logic in the fact that people dropping a few hundred bucks on a graphics card are more likely to have a better cooling setup and know what they're getting into, and how to deal with problems arising from heat output and noise. Some people are perfectly okay with that, and all the power to them.

Other face of the coin: if I drop several hundreds of dollars in a graphics card, I don't expect to have to deal with issues. Not when there are reasonably comparative alternatives (including those from the same vendor). I look at this whole situation and I only see a big headache to deal with. I shouldn't be waiting for version X of card because the regular version doesn't work quite exactly as I expect it to, or requires maintenance and/or a specific setup.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

morphine wrote:
Other face of the coin: if I drop several hundreds of dollars in a graphics card, I don't expect to have to deal with issues. Not when there are reasonably comparative alternatives (including those from the same vendor). I look at this whole situation and I only see a big headache to deal with. I shouldn't be waiting for version X of card because the regular version doesn't work quite exactly as I expect it to, or requires maintenance and/or a specific setup.

My 2 cents - if you're not monitoring the clocks in the first place, would you ever notice the varying rates?

I highly doubt it.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Waco wrote:
morphine wrote:

My 2 cents - if you're not monitoring the clocks in the first place, would you ever notice the varying rates?

I highly doubt it.

Oh, I don't know. The Hardware Canucks review of the 780Ti clearly demonstrates throttling of clock speeds of 10% or more. That's got have a noticeable effect on frame rate/times.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Waco wrote:
morphine wrote:

Who the hell spends >$500 on a product and doesn't observe to make sure it is functioning properly?

Do you not check your CPU clocks? Do you check your auto's tire pressure? Oil level? Do you not measure the temperature of your freezer? Check to make sure your bicycle shifts gears properly? Ensure your monitor has no dead pixels? Don't you observe the focus of your camera's lenses? Check your home's foundation with a level? Run your hand across your new countertop to ensure it is smooth?

I took things a bit out of the context there but I hope it gives perspective.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:29 pm

morphine wrote:
My 2 cents: that's well and good, but the harsh reality is that these cards don't seem to perform at the level that's promised when bought.

Exactly.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Arclight wrote:
This might tickle your fancy:
Arctic Accelero Xtreme III

Yea... About that cooler... Here's a fun fact: it comes with 12 "square" RAM heatsinks by default. There are more than 12 RAM chips on 290x:

There are other non-square heatsinks included but you may need to "modify" them slightly (depending on which ones you will decide to use). Bending or cutting off fins, etc. Or order extra square heatsinks.

Here's another fun fact. Notice the location of lower RAM chip and how it looks like with GPU heatsink attached (click it to see it larger):

No, the metal plate does not actually touch it. Yes, the plate does cover a small portion of it so whatever leftover heatsink you will use - it will not cover the whole surface of that RAM chip. Probably does not matter (these RAM chips do not get very hot) but still...

All in all, the installation of this thing is pretty annoying and I HIGHLY recommend avoiding it if you can. If you will decide to use it - here is my advice: throw away the included glue (it sucks) and instead buy some other one OR make your own using your favorite thermal paste + CrazyGlue, especially when mounting the VRM heatsinks. Better yet, just wait for cards with "aftermarket" cooler designs, or go with Nvidia's alternatives. Like EVGA's cards, most of which (including new 780ti) come with their own ACX cooler (which is better than ANY "stock" blower) pre-installed, or available as a separate purchase (and is much, MUCH easier to install and has no chance of VRM heatsinks falling off due to a poor glue quality).

The good news is it obviously does decrease the GPU temperature by a significant number while staying extremely quiet:

So much for "blah, blah, blah, blower coolers are theoretically better" armchair circlejerk, eh? :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Those results look good. I'm probably just going to limit the stock cooler to 43% output for a while.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:17 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Those results look good. I'm probably just going to limit the stock cooler to 43% output for a while.

Yea, good luck with that... I had to use 50% speed because 45% did nothing useful. Of course, each card can have different variations due to amount of thermal paste applied, minor heatsink flaws, etc.

B.t.w, forgot to mention another flaw of such aftermarket cooler. Since it is a "universal" one, it obviously does not include any stiffening plates (like the one on the stock heatsink or like with aftermarket coolers from EVGA). So your card will naturally flex after mounting it, especially if you have a standard "tower" case with vertically mounted motherboard. It may not be a big deal... Or it may (cause some soldered component to eventually detach from PCB) :wink:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 pm

JohnC wrote:
So much for "blah, blah, blah, blower coolers are theoretically better" armchair circlejerk, eh? :wink:

Whoever thinks blowers are better for GPU cooling needs their heads checked for the existence of reasoning ability!

The cross-sectional area (not the total surface area) of your average twin-fan open-cooler is likely 8-12 time greater than that of a blower. The tradeoff is that it dumps all the hot air into your case like an incontinent pooch that just ate the leftover curry.

Blowers are for SFF builds and cases that focus on silence rather than airflow - things like the P183 in it's stock config with all the fans on low and the door shut - I know that my old P180 couldn't handle an open-cooler 5870 without getting toasty inside, and the office Silencios have the same problem (2 intake, 1 exhaust + PSU but fully sealed, filtered and soundproofed)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Meh...

tempest in a teacup.

For $20-$50 delta, I'll wait for the ASUS, HIS, and sapphire solutions to launch.

Sure the Nvidia cooler is well made...but I'll take a $450 ASUS matrix 290 that performs like a $700 780TI any day of the week.

Yes, every high end card throttles down when too hot...none excluded.

I know I'll spend way too much on a water cooling set up(go big or go home)...

so an extra $20 or $50 for asus or HIS on top of a base $400...well dang, what is is even the conversation about again? :wink:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
JohnC wrote:

The tradeoff is that it dumps all the hot air into your case like an incontinent pooch that just ate the leftover curry.

Yea, but it's not an issue at all if you have a proper case airflow :wink:

Blowers can only be good in case if AMD+Nvidia+Intel will create some kind of a "standard" which will allow any card by any brand to automatically (without using any third-party software) use the video ports located on the motherboard itself, leaving the card's bracket open for airflow (or at the very worst only leave a couple of DisplayPort ports there). It still won't be a match for multi-fan free-flow coolers BUT would be an "acceptable" solution in terms of noise and cooling abilities for majority of consumers. Otherwise there is no place for blowers on "flagship" video card models. Especially on such pretty inefficient and power-hungry cards like 290x:

:wink:

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Apparently just doing this fixes it too: http://techreport.com/discussion/25611/ ... ost=776154

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Yea, that obviously does help but overall area of that "hole" is still pretty small (especially if he did not remove the "brace" between slots on the case itself).

When I switched the "stock" bracket on my Titan (which is more "restrictive" than on 290x cards) to a "high-flow" model like this the only thing I noticed is that the temperature dropped by about 3C at full load... But then again, the Titan had a slightly lower temperatures (and was more efficient in general) than the 290x even in "stock" form :wink:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:18 pm

auxy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Yes. Both Nvidia and AMD can specifically detect the Furmark (through drivers) and apply aggressive downclocking and/or power limiting (regardless of GPU temperature) to prevent potential damage to the card. This has been happening since like 2009 or so.
Doesn't that kinda invalidate Furmark as a testing tool, though?

Yea, it does. I actually downloaded it (even though I knew exactly what would happen) and ran. Here's a little fact - the 290x throttles to about 900 MHz (it kinda jumps between 850-900 range) and stays there even at 68C GPU temperature, regardless of which settings you use (fullscreen or windowed mode).

clone
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:32 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:45 am

JohnC wrote:
Arclight wrote:
This might tickle your fancy:
Arctic Accelero Xtreme III

Yea... About that cooler... Here's a fun fact: it comes with 12 "square" RAM heatsinks by default. There are more than 12 RAM chips on 290x:
There are other non-square heatsinks included but you may need to "modify" them slightly (depending on which ones you will decide to use). Bending or cutting off fins, etc. Or order extra square heatsinks.
Here's another fun fact. Notice the location of lower RAM chip and how it looks like with GPU heatsink attached (click it to see it larger):
[...]

I uh, in my defence i did specify that it requires a slight mod, as it was mentioned in the linked article. Afaik the Gelid Icy Vision Rev 2 is easier to install and requires much less tinkering.

As for the blower style coolers, they can go have intimate relations with themselves.

For stress testing try this:
OCCT
http://www.ocbase.com/

MSI Kombuster
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Maybe one of them won't cause the driver to throttle the card.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:56 am

I've looked at Gelid's installation guide. The whole system looks extremely similar to AC's, only slight difference are the "stand-offs", where Gelid's version appears to be easier to use. Doesn't really matter anymore, as I will not be removing the whole cooler again since it appears to be working just fine...

flinstones_vitamins
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:31 pm

What are your VRM temps like under load with the Accelero?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 pm

flinstones_vitamins wrote:
What are your VRM temps like under load with the Accelero?

Good question. I just checked - turns out my VRM's to the right of GPU were getting pretty hot (they are reaching 95C) at full load, as confirmed by my infrared thermometer, even though the heatsinks were still glued on and didn't fall off off these... This is why I don't like these "universal" coolers with multiple heatsinks :x I guess I will be removing it again and trying to re-glue these tiny heatsinks... I need to order better adhesive first.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:54 pm

I learned this lesson on a 4870 from powercolor.

they had a great heatpipe cooler on the GPU, but not enough fan on the VRM.

Burned through 3 and RMA 'd them all.

I warned the OEM and asked for a different cooling solution, but powercolor kept sending the same model.

you could watch the VRM being cooked. :roll:

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Same thing with an Accelero S1 back when I had my 4870. It was fine cooling the GPU, but the VRMs and the RAM? No so much.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

flinstones_vitamins
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Did you connect the fans via the supplied 7v or 12v molex adapter like earlier provided Tom's Hardware article did? They don't explicitly mention VRM temps but it's a lot easier than taking everything apart again.

I ask because someone over at HardForum installed an Accelero and also had high VRM temps but they had their fan assembly connected directly to the 290X fan connector causing insufficient cooling. Check out that thread farther down too because some brave souls have even resorted to cutting up the stock heatsink to cool the VRM's with varied results.

As for the Gelid Icy Vision, another person over at OC.net also reported good temp drops but again no VRM temps were mentioned. On Newegg it's about 25 bucks cheaper and by the looks of it the VRM heatsink looks like a better design (single piece screwed in creating greater contact) and it weighs less (Gelid 465g vs Accelero 653g) so GPU sag shouldn't be as bad.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:14 pm

I connected the fan to dedicated molex connector because modern Nvidia cards (7xx series) and the AMD's 29x cards seem to have an issue with AC's fan sensor so RPM's will constantly go up and down even at idle. I am using the 7V connector option.

I also just removed the cooler, re-applied VRM heatsinks using the leftover glue (I made sure that the glue is properly covering whole surface of VRM's) and re-applied the thermal paste for GPU - removed the "stock" paste which came applied to heatsink and replaced it with my favorite AS5. Right now the GPU is idling at 30C and the VRM "row" to the right of GPU is idling at 26C. I'll let it solidify a little bit before re-testing again under the load...

Edit: even after re-seating VRM heatsinks the temps for that VRM section still reach 90C at full load. Funny thing is, the surface of the heatsinks themselves is about 40C (according to my infrared thermometer). I think the AC's thermal glue just sucks ass... I'll be replacing it with Arctic Silver's thermal glue solution (I ran out of CrazyGlue anyway, so I can't make my own using AS5 paste).

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:00 am

I see by your signature that you're a car addict.

I hope you're having as much fun doing all that mechanical work on your brand-new top-of-the-line graphics card. :lol:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:40 pm

That's actually not "fun" and I really am not sure why am I actually doing that...
Here's even crazier thing: while waiting for a new thermal glue (AC's glue sux ass), I removed AC's heatsink, removed the RAM and VRM heatsinks (did I mention that AC's glue sux? I think I did... the heatsinks come right off with a slight twist of a hand), cleaned everything with acetone. Then, I re-applied the normal thermal paste (AS5) to GPU, re-checked the condition of stock thermal pads on stock heatsink plate (they were fine), then re-attached the stock heatsink assembly back :o Then ran quick tests. Using LATEST (13.11 Beta 9.2) drivers from AMD. I need to do more tests, BUT here are 2 facts that I found so far:

Good thing: the stock fan now throttles up higher, regardless of BIOS switch (it's about 44% now, or approximately 2200 RPM's). Oh, and also VRM's stay below 90C (unlike with AC's garbage aftermarket heatsinks and awful thermal glue), which is great.

Bad news: card still reaches 94C, meaning that card still throttles down and never reaches 1000MHz again when running benchmarks or playing games. I STILL have to manually raise the fan limiter to about 50% in order to stop the card from reaching the 94C and throttling down the clock speeds. Sooo... Yea, not a complete "fix" from AMD for my own card. As confirmed by (surprise, surprise!) this site:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad ... ,3666.html

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:06 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg