Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

wezaleff
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

ASUS M4A78T-E maximum RAM

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:54 pm

This is maybe a stupid question, but I was looking at upgrading the RAM on my old motherboard from 8GB (2GBx4) to 32GB (8GBx4) because I've begun RAW photo editing and I could use as much RAM as possible. However, I thought to look up the motherboard's specs and according to ASUS the max supported RAM is 16GB (4GBx4).

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A78T ... ifications

Is this one of those "we don't *support* 8GB DIMMs" type of situations, or will 8GB DIMMs truly not work? If they might function but with reduced speed that would be fine for my purposes; I need a lot of RAM, not necessarily super fast RAM.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I tried a Google search and came up empty-handed.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: ASUS M4A78T-E maximum RAM

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 pm

It is likely a hard limit. Would not surprise me if it only recognizes 16GB even when you install 32GB, or even refuse to POST with the larger DIMMs.

How flexible is your budget? If you can afford to potentially take an additional ~$95 hit go ahead and buy the RAM; if it doesn't work, swap the existing mobo out for an M5A97 R2.0, which should work with your existing CPU (and give you an upgrade path to the FX series CPUs at your option). I'm assuming you've already got a discrete GPU... if not, you'll also need to factor in the cost of a cheap PCIe GPU to replace the M4A78T-E's integrated HD 3300, since the selection of AMD AM3+ motherboards with IGP is almost non-existent.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

wezaleff
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: ASUS M4A78T-E maximum RAM

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks; that's what I was worried about. I plan on upgrading the case/mobo/CPU/GPU at some point but I've been putting it off because I'm cheap and lazy.