Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: So much for 290x's claimed "1GHz"...

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:00 pm

JohnC wrote:
Good thing: the stock fan now throttles up higher, regardless of BIOS switch (it's about 44% now, or approximately 2200 RPM's).

I'm curious as to how loud this card is in real world usage. Can you take some readings with a decibel meter? I use Sound Meter on Android or dB Meter Pro on iOS. I take readings from where my head is when I game and at both the front/top of my case. Take a measurement of the room before you fire up your rig. Which case are your using?

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:23 pm

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Good thing: the stock fan now throttles up higher, regardless of BIOS switch (it's about 44% now, or approximately 2200 RPM's).

Which case are your using?

As I said before, I use Antec's P183v2, which has no stupid windows/meshes on the sides and has pretty thick multi-layered doors, so it is relatively quiet...

Anyway, I can't measure the noise anymore - I temporarily removed the card and put my old card back in. When the extra cooling components (I need better thermal glue and extra RAM heatsinks) will arrive and when the Mantle patch for BF4 will appear - I'll put it back. Or maybe put it in a spare system, not sure yet. Right now there is no good reason for continuing to use this card in its stock form (it is not faster than my current card but more hot and more noisy) and swapping stuff back-and-forth is pretty annoying.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people